1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Vintage Nina Ricci Club today. I don't really know what to make of this one. I like it, but it is well-blended to the point that I can't really pin down individual notes. A bit of lemon here, I think a bit of sandalwood there. Good for th eoffice.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Pre-shower: Amyris Homme. Lots of reviews online say this smells really common, but I don't agree with that at all. I think it's quite an interesting scent. It's definitely herbal, with a prominent rosemary note. But it's also ambery and chocolatey. Fragrantica says there's coffee, but I don't smell that to be honest. (But as I've said many times, I almost always fail to smell supposed coffee notes.)

SOTD: Sahara Noir. Warm, spicy frankincense. Lots of people say this is similar to Amber Absolute, but it's not at all.

3. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Agree with you about Amyris Homme. Its not a world beater, but it has an interesting combination of notes that are stitched together very well.

Welp, I grabbed the wrong decant today and ended up wearing Tom Ford Mardarino di Amalfi, rather than Costa Azzurra, which was my intent. In any event, I thought it (MdA) was just OK. Kind of underwhelming for a TF, actually. It comes across as a run of the mill Eau de Cologne built around neroli. In this category, I prefer the Chanel, a couple of Guerlains, MPG's Jeune Homme and MFK's Cologne PLM. I think Tom Ford kind of mailed it in with this one. Glad I only bought 5mL. Ah well,

4. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Le Feu d'Issey. It's practically impossible to describe this because there's so much going on. It opens up somewhat harshly with lots of anise. It develops into a milky, caramely floral that sometimes smells bready and sometimes smells like sour milk.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Last night I slapped on (spritzed from an atomizer [sorry L'Inc, for poaching your schtick {or is it a schtick?}]) some MPG George Sand - high, HIGH quality patchouli with lots of amber at first, sandalwood (creamy), and to me just a hint of rose.

1 person likes this.
  6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Chanel Pour Monsieur.

7. California Dreamer

O'Driu Lalfeogrigio today. I really didn't like the opening of this, but I like it now. A mellow sandalwood scent with a touch of pepper.

8. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Bond New York Amber. This is one of my favorite ambers. It's got a boozy sweetness, but it's also spicy, with a prominent pepper note. I'd probably like it more if there was just a touch less pepper, but still.

SOTD: Muscs Koublai Khan. The top smells like when you smoke free base cocaine.

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

^Well that was unexpected.

I wore figs Philosykos yesterday, toothpaste Géranium pour Monsieur today..

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    2 people like this.
  10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I actually have a sample of that one on the way. I'm curious to see if I get any coffee from it since I have the same issue with coffee notes too. I have a bottle of Bond New Haarlem, but I guess what everyone smells as coffee smells more like anise to me.

11. L'Incandescent

I agree, it really is surprising that they'd load up an amber fragrance with so much pepper!

SOTE is Hermès Rouge. This is an old-school scent with bright, bitter ylang and various spices at the top. It dries down sweeter and more powdery.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  12. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Anyone here tried My Parfum's line, especially Morpheus?

Online shop with a store in Berlin. Allows one to design/create own perfume with selection of bottles and personalised labelling. Morpheus is a blend of musk, tobacco, suede, tonka beans and vanilla.

Very intrigued, but kinda difficult to buy without sniffing first. They should start a sampling program, but I dont think they have the funds to do that yet.

13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Takes a while to get used to the opening of all their stuff, doesnt it? But they are all pretty good once passed the initial stages.

14. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member

Scent of the day for me was Donna Karen Fuel, I should hopefully be heading into the city over the weekend and finally smell/purchase some Penhaligon's.

15. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Incense Oud. There's a lot more incense than oud in this one. There's also a floral sweetness to it. It's fairly light for an incense, and sits close to the skin. I enjoy it, but not enough for it to be a regular in my rotation.

SOTD: MPG George Sand. Amazing patchouli.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  16. b1os

b1os Senior member

17. L'Incandescent

Is it too "old-school" for someone your age or is it appropriate? :hide:

1 person likes this.
  18. b1os

b1os Senior member

Who am I to judge? :satisfied:

19. California Dreamer

Tabac Rouge today. This one is perhaps a little sweet and a touch powdery; I would have preferred a more prominent tobacco note.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Cuir Garamante - many times I wear this I just smell the vetiver a la Le Labo's Cuir 28 but today I got reminded of a patchouli-stripped Patchouli 24.