• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Daskb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I disagree. Most Creeds doesn't project like a lot of others, but instead become very subtle on the drydown. It's still there, it just doesn't speak loudly, for the most part. This is, perhaps, what endears it to many who don't want to be knocked down.

Nevertheless, longevity is often the chief complaint with Creed, and perhaps some of this can depend on skintype and body chemistry, too. Royal Water and Citrus Bigarade were two that I couldn't get to last on me. But, Silver Mountain Water, Epicea, Tabarome Milesime, MI, Ambre Canelle, Jasmin Imperiatrice Eugenie (this one lasts forever!), Aubepine Acacia, Bois de Cedrat, Orange Spice, Himalaya, Green Valley, and Cypres Musc all lasted quite well for me. Even some of the EdT's, like Royal English Leather and Royal Scottish Lavender, held up pretty well. Neroli Sauvage stopped projecting fairly early, but nevertheless had a subtle drydown that I could discern after several hours.

I have used few of creed, none stay after 4 hrs, not even faint. To clarify further i donot have BO.

Quite a few of hermes colognes stay faint and like 24 hrs. Chanel too. Boucheron is equally good.There is a big list of good colognes, as exhaustive as my collection which stay for 24 hpurs, faint and nice.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acqua Bvlgari pour Homme

Daskb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Acqua Bvlgari pour Homme

Thats not a bad one. I use that once in a while. Though I prefer Bvlgari more in watches

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bond no 9 Saks for Him today. Got sent a free sample and I'm ambivalent. It's not bad, but for $190, I want to be knocked off my feet.

Also, antirabbit, Rive Gauche is always a good pick. Tom Ford did some really good stuff at YSL; it's too bad most have been pulled (M7, M7 Fresh, Nu, etc.)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing Pasha de Cartier. For a time this was a HG scent for me, but once I got a bottle I've slowly grown indifferent. It is nice, but there's too much going on here. Ah well.

Tom Ford - btw - has done other really good scents. I like and wear Youth Dew Amber Nude (TF for Estee Lauder), and Tom Ford for Men is also quite good, but the shining star for me is TF Amber Absolute. Gorgeous. I'm waiting on a sample of Tom Ford Noir de Noir which I understand might just be worth the lucre, which is - given my normal stinginess - a very very high bar to clear.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Yeah, Thomas, I have yet to make inroads into the Tom Ford "Private Blend" for that exact reason... I know there are a few that I'd absolutely LOVE (Japon Noir, the Amber Absolute you mentioned, Purple Patchouli, plus a few others) but at their asking price, they are way more than I need to spend on fragrances now. After going through a Montale fit a year or two back (preceeded by a L'artisan Parfumeur fit, preceeded by a Creed fit), I've sort of depleted my fragrance budget for the next decade or so.
wink.gif

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay... you've posted a Creed about which I know NOTHING! I'm intrigued... so please share what this one is all about.
I am just discovering it now, though we had it for a while. There is Narcisse in the top and middle notes, together with some wild flowers and grass, and a strong vetiver backbone. There is ambergris there somewhere and a femiliar Creed house note. The overall feeling of the Verveine Narcisse is that of a field of grass and wild flowers on a summer day. The grasses (including vetiver) and wild flowers compete for your olfactory attention but neither wins and instead they provide balance to each other while retaining their distinct character.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I am just discovering it now, though we had it for a while. There is Narcisse in the top and middle notes, together with some wild flowers and grass, and a strong vetiver backbone. There is ambergris there somewhere and a femiliar Creed house note. The overall feeling of the Verveine Narcisse is that of a field of grass and wild flowers on a summer day. The grasses (including vetiver) and wild flowers compete for your olfactory attention but neither wins and instead they provide balance to each other while retaining their distinct character.
Sounds very interesting. My favorite "unknown Creed" hitherto has been Aubepine Acacia, but Verveine Narcisse sounds compelling. Sort of like a mixture between the Aubepine and Green Valley... Btw, for me today is Bond Silver Factory. Now THIS is more like it... carnation with some spicy funk in there for good measure, and more than EdP concentration. Good stuff; too bad it runs $235 a bottle (so, I think I'll be nursing this sample for a while).

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds very interesting. My favorite "unknown Creed" hitherto has been Aubepine Acacia, but Verveine Narcisse sounds compelling. Sort of like a mixture between the Aubepine and Green Valley...
Hmm... let me go smell Aubepine Acacia and get back to you. It's in the back of the fridge together with Verveine Narcisse, Angelique Encens, and several other unisex Creeds, my wife bought a couple of years ago and I am now just discovering.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mljones99
Today I went with Rocabar from Hermes

That is my go-to holiday scent.

Today I pulled an old decant with blue juice inside - Davidoff Relax, which provides an interesting sort of cautionary tale. I got this decant in a swap and knew nothing about this except for the Basenotes reviews, which - at the time - were overwhelmingly positive. You would have thought this was Davidoff's masterpiece, based on the reviews.

I get a minty powdery woody something that lacks direction and focus. It's not bad-smelling (see Nasomatto Duro), but it's just kinda sorta, there in a nondescript mumbling way. Some will find this nice but for me it doesn't clear the first hurdle of wearing scent... Pourqois pas rien?

Note to self: blue water belongs in toilet bowls, not perfume bottles.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^Yeah, Thomas, I have yet to make inroads into the Tom Ford "Private Blend" for that exact reason... I know there are a few that I'd absolutely LOVE (Japon Noir, the Amber Absolute you mentioned, Purple Patchouli, plus a few others) but at their asking price, they are way more than I need to spend on fragrances now. After going through a Montale fit a year or two back (preceeded by a L'artisan Parfumeur fit, preceeded by a Creed fit), I've sort of depleted my fragrance budget for the next decade or so.
wink.gif

Oh, come on...if you buy the big bottle it's only $50 an ounce. That's a steal!

Actually, I got my ounce of AA from a gent on POL who bought the big bottle - blind - and sold splits. It took him longer than he expected. NdN is another blind buy although I think he's keeping the whole bottle for himself. If it's as good as he says (his review: OMG!) I may whine at him to sell me an ounce.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Oh, quit tempting me, Thomas!!

Anyway, I've got some fougere-ific Azzaro PH today... not bad, but not great. I think it's about time I stopped wearing these boozy, manly Euro scents and get back to my usual subtle TDC Bois d'iris and HL EdP.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(...)
Anyway, I've got some fougere-ific Azzaro PH today... not bad, but not great. I think it's about time I stopped wearing these boozy, manly Euro scents and get back to my usual subtle TDC Bois d'iris and HL EdP.

I tried that twice and it's good but not five-star-good IMHO. The first time I tried it was on a testing strip and I was appalled. I think Baron said good things about it and I received a sample vial so I tried it again. Better that I recalled, but I've got plenty of scents in multiple drawers and shelves, and at this point I'd rather divest a few than accumulate more.

Today - after hours of yard work and a pool fiasco (sheer stupidity from yours truly), I went with Guerlain Vetiver.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads