• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Flowerbomb
SOTD: Delicious Closet Queen. I haven't worn this in a while, but Maquis's post reminded me. When I first got this, I loved it. Then I went through a phase where it didn't really appeal to me. But now I'm enjoying it again.

@Maquis: Did you try Bijou Romantique? That's one of my favorites from the lineup. Although if you're not a big fan of chocolatey scents, this one might not be for you.

EDIT: DCQ was giving me a headache, so I washed it off and replaced it with Santal Blush.

Last edited:

Maquis

Reaction score
So I took a cue from L'Inc and (since I was off from work today) tried Declaration D'un Soir for a pre-shower testing. This one really smelled great on paper, but changed considerably on my skin. I got more black pepper at the opening on paper, but on my skin it just kind of flattened out, allowing a sweet hollowed-out rose to come out, but then develop into a somewhat harsh synthetic floral. Unfortunately, I really wanted to like this, but it started giving me a weird allergic skin reaction, so I had to scrub. I'll try again another time just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but damn, I'm a little bummed out it didn't work out.

SOTD: Saw a movie with friends, so I wanted something without too much sillage. Acqua di Colonia Russa fit the bill a little too well, and I ended up having to layer it with some vintage Eau de Rochas Pour Homme just to get any projection at all. It was a nice reminder of Summer in the dark of Winter, though...

@ L'inc: I remember Bijou Romantique, but unfortunately the notes have been lost in yesterday's olfactory overload. If it was a strongly gourmand or chocolate fragrance, I probably just sniffed the sprayer tip and then put the cap back on :embar:. (I'm just starting to push myself to understand gourmands better by starting off with mildly sweet vanilla/amber-based fragrances first, and working my way up from there....)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spent quite a bit of time at MiN this weekend also and went through most of the ELdO line and found them all to be off-putting - they all have this rusty metallic vibe going on that must be their signature accord. I thought I was going to like Like This Tilda Swinton but it became a dull floral. I must say that Tom of Finland was my favorite, but there's quite a bit of overlap between this one and Patchouli 24 and think I'd prefer purchasing the latter.
Parfum d'Empire was a wonderful line as were Parfums d'Orsay, and I got samples of both Cuir Ottoman and L'Intrigante.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:embar:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry L'Inc! I wanted to like ELdO but just couldn't get into them.

Maquis

Reaction score

What is MiN

MiN is a (mostly) niche fragrance shop in NYC. They also offer a pretty good online decant/sample deal (I think it's something like 7 for $15 or something like that...)

@ HORNS, did you check out the Naomi Goodsirs at MiN? (There are only two— Cuir Velour and Bois d'Ascèse.) I know you really like Patchouli 24, so I thought Bois d'Ascèse might be right up your alley...not as tarry as Patchouli 24, but big resin & smoke accords, still...

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did try the Naomi Goodsirs, and like several of the lines MiN carries needs some olfactory rumination to get what they are about - the lines MiN carries is well-curated and very niche - i.e. unconventional and take some time to figure out what works for you.

MiN is a great boutique, but the lighting is absolutely atrocious in there and the bitchy queen, who I can only assume is one of the managers because I don't see how the woman also working in there could be above him and still allow him to act the way he does, is quite annoying.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've switched into Leonard de Leonard for the evening. It's a pleasant green floral chypre. It's an '80s feminine, and it smells like it.

olivier.nyc

Reaction score
SOTD: Acqua di Parma - Colonia Intensa Oud. Perfect for this cold city morning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads