1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Italian Cypress

2. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Might be my favorite TF

Taking a second pass at Bois d'Ombrie today.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  3. b1os

b1os Senior member

I think Santal Blush is my favorite.

4. James1051

James1051 Senior member

I don't know calone. Do you even get much neroli from it?

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I absolutely agree with you 100% about Calone and Sécretions Magnifiques. There is a home fragrance by Le Labo, Calone 17, which reminded me strongly and immediately of it.

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'd recommend:

Chanel Eau de Cologne - just a classic eau de Cologne, which is heavy with lots of neroli and about as good as you're going to get.

Killian Prelude to Love - high quality with neroli as a dominant note but too fucking overpriced.

Le Labo Fleur d'Orange 27 - I guess they had to backtrack and create something that smelled like an orange blossom since Neroli 36 failed at that.

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

@oneeightyseven, FYI I believe Eau des Baux was recently discontinued, so if you like the scent (one of my favorites), I'd recommend picking up a bottle soonish. They're like $50 for 100ml, great value.

Yes, I'd agree. It's a pretty good scent, not brilliant but nice, however calling it Neroli isn't quite correct. I agree with L'Incandescent and would say it's more of a watery soft aquatic scent, like a less sharp/herbal Cool Water or something. If you like things like Neroli Portofino, it's worth throwing into your luckyscent sample order I guess, even just because it has huge longevity and pretty strong projection. Not an overly complex or challenging scent though, but for those hot hot summer days it's easy to wear.

Ha, I have a decant of Prelude and have been waffling about selling it since it's overpriced and I'd rather have the money, but then again it's a pretty good natural smelling citrus/neroli combo that's hard to replace. But then again, I know the Chanels are 200ml but they're like $240-280! and you don't think for an EdC that's overpriced? I would have totally added their EdC but bang for buck on Sycomore, Coromandel, and Cuir de Russie are fine IMO but not for an EdC no matter how good the ingredients are...

8. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Thanks for the recommendations. I do like the Chanel. Don't know the other two but will look around for samples.

9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Pre-shower: Prelude to Love. (I am vulnerable to the power of suggestion, apparently.)
    SOTD: Noir de Noir.

10. L'Incandescent

No, there's not much neroli in it.

Calone is an aromachemical that became really popular as a perfume note in the early '90s. It's a marine note that's just a little bit floral. It's what made possible all those aquatics that started hitting the market in the late '80s.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

In a word, yes, I do believe it IS worth the price because while it is an Eau de Cologne in it's classic sense, it is still an Eau de Toilette.

12. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Hot damn! Found a sample of Prelude in my shoebox. M-C, that may have come from you. Anyways, that one gets a try this weekend.

SOTE: Slumberhouse Ore extrait. Unusual. Like this one quite a lot. My wife even seems to like it, sort of, which is a minor miracle.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Eau de Rochas today. Nice summer scent; ugly bottle.

14. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

For the life of me, i cant seem to appreciate any of the Tom Ford scents. Azure Lime smells like room freshener cum toilet disinfectant. Fleur de Chine (or maybe one of the other three new scents)smells like a poor cousin of Dior 1947 New Look. Shanghai Lily smells like a watered down Gardenia of Chanel and Penhaligons. The Ouds are all meh compared to other better ouds. The Cafe Rose is nauseating. The Noir de Noir has too much icky spice. Tobacco Vanille smells lie Port Royal tobacco i used to smoke. Portofino Neroli dries down to a meh, and i can find much more scintillating neroli elsewhere. The Lavender is a waste of time. Only Champaca caught my attention, and even that dries down to a meh. Something wrong here?

The new Hermes line is much more interesting. Osmonthe Yunnan is quite special to my nose.

SOTD Caron Yuzu.

15. L'Incandescent

I agree about Azure Lime; it is pretty pedestrian and not up to the level of the other PBs. I think Shanghai Lily is fantastic; I like it much better that Chanel's Gardenia, which I find completely boring. (I say that as a big fan of Chanel, btw.) Cafe Rose is in the running for my very favorite scent; I'm surprised that you find it nauseating! I can see where you're coming from on Noir de Noir. Especially at the very beginning, there's a strange note that resembles the infamous "vomity" note of 100% Love. Nonetheless, I think NdN is an amazing scent. The Lavender Palm is really divisive. The base sometimes feels sickly sweet and sometimes it doesn't for me.

Have you tried Amber Absolute? IMO, it's the best amber on the market. (Not really on the market anymore, I guess.) And Moss Breches is fantastic masculine, although some might find it too sweet. Santal Blush is a wonderful sandalwood. And from the Signature Series lineup, I think Violet Blonde and Sahara Noir are great.

This may just reflect a very basic difference in our preferences, but I don't like much of the Hermessence lineup at all!

16. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Tonight: Parfumerie Generale Iris Oriental.

Re: Hermessence Collection - the only one I'd consider buying is Vetiver Tonka.

17. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

L'Incandescent, I think it may have to do with skin chemistry too. The big no no for my skin are rose (turns to a sailva scent), vetiver (turns rancid), cumin (armpits) and one other i cannot remember. For example, i found the opening of Guerlain 68 to be simply stunning, and it was great until the spices started asserting themselves. Same experience with Memo Moon Fever, until the vetiver appeared.

I mentioned the Hermessence line as a comparison to the TF lines as these are two i have recently examined. None except TF Champaca and Hermes Osmonthe were close to making FB shortlist. I have not tried Violet Blonde, Sahara Noir and Moss Breches yet. Dont really like amber styled fragrances, and Santal Blush did not leave much of an impression.

The line that I like the most at present is MFK. Only Amyris Homme i cannot wear because the drydown turns me off despite the usual scintillating headnotes. I even liked the Absolue Pour Le Soir.
    And the rose in Lumiere Noir only turns rancid right at the very end.

Also like the IUNX line except that none of them last for any half decent level of time, except Splash Forte.

Any fans of saffron here? Recent memorable fragrance is Saffran Troublant by L'Artisan. If only someone can confirm whether Giacobetti was really the nose behind this.

18. L'Incandescent

Safran Troublant is a really nice scent, IMO. I've never heard anyone other than Giocobetti named as the perfumer for this one.

I'm a big fan of the saffron/rose accord--for example in Opone by Diptyque, Dark Rose by C&S, and Rose Oud (by Kilian).

Of all the notes I'm aware of that are used in perfumery, rose is by far my favorite.

19. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

The most unusual note i have encountered so far is shiso leaves in De Bachmakov. One of my friends is of Vietnamese descent, and their family uses shiso leaves in their food. So instead of Russian steppes, the image evoked in my head was Vietnamese home made cuisine.

Having mentioned unusual, I have not tried any ELDO yet, and still plucking up my nerve to get near Secretions Magnifique.

20. L'Incandescent

Speaking of ELDO, Encens et Bubblegum is my SOTE.