1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Testing out Byredo 1996... well I'll say it's not my style but I will still try and give it a fair review. Basically I smell a powdery candy sweet iris and violet scent. There's a bit of warm sued-y leather in here too. Now the official note list also includes things like pepper and juniper (a favorite of mine) but I don't get those. What I will say is this is somewhere along the lines of a warmer Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur, mixed with elements of Dior Homme and lastly some Malle Lipstick Rose too. it's a warm sweet powdery iris scent with some smooth honeyed leather undertones. Again, totally not my style but I know some of the above scents are favorites amongst y'all so I would actually highly recommend sampling this one. I've only had it on for about a half hour so I can't speak much to the longevity or projection but I suspect it'll stick around for a good 6+ hours and light but present sillage. Is it masculine? no... at least not in a hairy chested way, but could a dandy or guy who's ok with fem classic scents pull it off?, sure. There's a sort of violet+suede things happening here, which would take me in a barbershop direction but it's got a powdery soft pink creamy vanilla base too and some chocolately fluff that's pushing it into young flirty fem or classic old lady perfume territory IMO. Persoanlly it's a pass, but for you guys I'd say a try.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Byredo 1996 showed up on lots of Best of 2013 lists, which surprised me a bit, since Byredo hasn't been well received in the online fragrance community. When I first tried it, I really disliked it. It starts off with a really dry, grainy, chalky smell. I find it somewhat bitter, and I agree completely with M-C about the suedy leather. I'm getting to like it somewhat better after a few wears, especially as I pick up a little more vanilla sweetness in the dry down. Also, to my great surprise, I pick up something a little bit boozy in the dry down. I think my perception of this is going to continue to change, so I'm not sure whether I'll end up liking it or not. I'm trying to forget my initial feelings about it, but that's really hard to do.

3. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Rolling my own today with
    Yosh Sombre Negra

4. L'Incandescent

La Fin du Monde today. This stuff is fantastic! All of you who are fans of iris have to give this a try.

5. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Thanks for the tip!
    On my list.

For me tonight for dinner with the lady of the house, it will be Olfactive Studio Chambre Noir. Took a sneak pinch of this a few days ago. Minty patch, leather and incense. What's not to like?

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

What type of fragrance is it? I'm a relative newbie.

7. L'Incandescent

La Fin du Monde is the newest fragrance from Etat Libre d'Orange, which is a niche fragrance house that produces very quirky, interesting scents at good prices. This one in particular is a unisex scent (not marketed either as a feminine or as a masculine). The dominant note, to my nose, at least, is iris. But there's also a really interesting note that they call gunpowder; it's just a little bit smoky and metallic. I'd describe the overall effect of the scent as sharp, tangy, and somewhat high-pitched (that is, it's not the kind of fragrance that would ever be called "Noir" or "Black"). If you've ever smelled Dior Homme, it's in the ballpark of that, although frankly I like this better. It's also a cousin of Etat Libre's Tilda Swinton Like This.

8. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wore Derby today to the race track.

9. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

gotta keep it fresh with this heat, Creed Erolfa

10. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Sounds like good stuff. This house does a nice job.

Daim Blond for me today. Pretty nice, but as with some other Lutens scents, its right on the border-line of 'too sweet' for me.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Yesterday: 34 Boulevard St. Germain.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Amouage Fate for Women - this shit is beautiful.

13. L'Incandescent

Yup.

Today I wore two fragrances that are named perfectly.

Pre-shower: Puredistance Black. There are lots of fragrances called Black (Noir), but this one is more deserving of the name than any other I've smelled. Puredistance doesn't give the notes, but I'm pretty sure it's oud (quite medicinal, but also smooth), tobacco, incense, and some other spicy and woody notes. It's very loud at the opening, but develops quickly into a skin scent. The stuff lasts forever. It's one of those fragrances that I respect, but don't really enjoy a lot.

SOTD: Lumiere Blanche. This is really bright and tart, with lots of spices, perfect for lifting my mood on a snowy, overcast day. I enjoy it a lot.

14. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Thats disappointing, might save my money. Heard it was a sexily good inbetween PureDistance M and Black Afghano

Not feeling adventurous today so rocking the suburbs with Aventus.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  15. L'Incandescent

That's actually a pretty decent description. It's really rich, though not quite as rich as Black Afghano. It's definitely high-quality stuff; it's just not the kind of thing I particularly enjoy.

16. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Speaking of Black Afgano, I've worn it for like 3 days straight as I was considering buying a bottle and I really don't get all the crazy reactions... To me it smells like a wonderful heavy spicey woody aromatic scent, maybe slightly mulchy, but that's it. It's got amazing longevity and decent projection and my GF says yep it's nice. And I'm 28 and strongly avoid anything old mannish, although I do really like wood/incense/musk and a little bit of the old funkyness. I'm just not seeing what makes people react so strongly to this, particularly the hate. Like I own Dior Leather Oud, and enjoy it, but I understand what people don't like about it...

17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I have become a big fan of this house. Last night I got a sample of La Fin du Monde after purchasing a bottle of Amouage Memoir Man and must say that La Fin is one of the most intriguing scents I've smelled in a long time. I have always loved the smell of gunpowder while shooting fireworks or guns, but this is the smell of unburnt gunpowder with a mineral/metallic smell to it. Nonetheless, the core is unmistakeable iris and the overall composition makes it one of the most interesting irises I've ever smelled.

18. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Jules - I wanted to smell like a sexual dynamo.

1 person likes this.
  19. L'Incandescent

Bois Marocain. I wanted to smell like a marroquian.

20. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Gunpowder puts me immediately in mind of sulphur. Do you get a sulphuric note from La Fin du Monde? That would be a disqualifier for me. I sometimes get sulphur from vetiver compositions (Sycomore and Fat Electrician being two examples I recall) that spoil the frags for me.

Oh, and…Eau des Iles today. Pleasantly surprised

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014