• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SOTD: Parure edt. As chypres go, I prefer this to Mitsouko in any of its concentrations.

I ended up selling off those bottle of Parure, but I have a tiny nagging regret, because it is really a very pretty scent. If I had the patience I could have decanted out one of the bottles and kept a little bit for myself, but that's too much hassle.

PdN New York today. Still my favorite.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, I stopped by and purchased Midnight in Paris and Jicky today, and while I was in the store they gave me a sample of "Fougere Royale," which I applied post-shower. Now, the internet tells me that this is some sort of re-formulation of a classic, but I have rarely smelled something so horrible. It almost instantly gave me a headache, and I had to scrub myself madly. Even now, I can smell its vile stench on my arm. Good god. It smells like the cheap "Spa" soap you get at a Best Western, or some sort of horrific men's shaving cream. Sickening.

On the other hand, Violet Blonde is, really, really lovely. The Dune not so much, it loses some of its initial fizziness and ends up sort of old-lady-like on my skin (I only had the card yesterday- I know, I know). Not horrible, but not as nice as I thought.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, I stopped by and purchased Midnight in Paris and Jicky today, and while I was in the store they gave me a sample of "Fougere Royale," which I applied post-shower. Now, the internet tells me that this is some sort of re-formulation of a classic, but I have rarely smelled something so horrible. It almost instantly gave me a headache, and I had to scrub myself madly. Even now, I can smell its vile stench on my arm. Good god. It smells like the cheap "Spa" soap you get at a Best Western, or some sort of horrific men's shaving cream. Sickening.

Yeah, that Fougere Royale is hideous.

hipster

Reaction score

after browsing a bit on basenotes i think im gonna try out YSL M7, YSL la nuit, boss bottled and paco rabanne 1 million.

anyone? these are good fragrances be good for cold weather, right?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

M7 is the class of that bunch of fragrances, IMO. Definitely appropriate for cooler weather. Bottled and 1 Million will be fine as well, but those are very popular fragrances, which means you're going to smell like a lot of other people. Not sure if that's an important consideration for you. Same for La Nuit, although it's a better fragrance than Bottled or 1 Million IMO.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
after browsing a bit on basenotes i think im gonna try out YSL M7, YSL la nuit, boss bottled and paco rabanne 1 million.

Sorry, homie, I've only tried La Nuit de l`Homme and didn't really like it.

teenagelightning

Reaction score
Odd question!

I enjoy the hell out of fragrances, but I get a bad reaction to quite a lot of them. I'm trying to pinpoint the ingredient and I think it's coumarin? I'm pretty clueless about all of this. The bad reaction is I get this burning sensation in my nose and then get a headache and later feel pretty sick. The quickness with which this happens varies from scent to scent so that leads me to believe it's a specific ingredient. If I walk by an Abercrombie store I'm in actual burning nose pain from whatever miasma billows out their air vents.

I can wear Lush Icon (of all things) and it won't bother me, and thanks to lush's open ingredients list I compared it with a lot of other Lush scents that gave me the bad reaction and noticed that none of the ingredients in Icon have any coumarin or things which contain coumarin (like tarragon). Here's the ingredients of icon: DRF Alcohol , Perfume , Myrrh Resinoid (Commiphora myrrha) , Orange Blossom Absolute (Citrus dulcis) , Bergamot Oil (Citrus bergamia) , Sandalwood Oil (Santalum album) , Mandarin Oil (Citrus nobilis) , *Citral , *Geraniol , *Benzyl Benzoate , *Farnesol , *Limonene

The girlfriend wears Creed Spring Flower and that doesn't bother me either, though she's tried some other scents and they'll trigger the allergy (?)

Is this a common thing? Anyone else have this reaction? If this is a coumarin allergy, does anyone know of some scents with no coumarin or coumarin containing ingredients (cinnamon, lavender, tonka, lemongrass, rose, tagetes, and tarragon)?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ I wish I knew the answer to your question. I hope someone will be able to help you.

For this evening I'm back, back in the New York Oud.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the past hour or so I've been picking up a really unpleasant smell, and I've been unable to figure out what it was. (It's not a familiar unpleasant smell like the food my neighbors prepare or cat poopahs.) Then I remembered that I had put some Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue pour le Matin on my left arm earlier in the evening.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm--I like Pour Le Soir, but haven't tried Matin. What kind of stink are we talking?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hmm--I like Pour Le Soir, but haven't tried Matin. What kind of stink are we talking?

I'm pretty sure thyme is the culprit. It's not a BO funk, like you get with cumin (and that I actually like quite a lot), or a civety baby's diaper funk. It's just an unpleasant herbal note. (I'm sure I find it more unpleasant than most would. I just did a check of online reviews and I haven't seen anyone describe it the way I do.)

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Odd question!
I enjoy the hell out of fragrances, but I get a bad reaction to quite a lot of them. I'm trying to pinpoint the ingredient and I think it's coumarin? I'm pretty clueless about all of this. The bad reaction is I get this burning sensation in my nose and then get a headache and later feel pretty sick. The quickness with which this happens varies from scent to scent so that leads me to believe it's a specific ingredient. If I walk by an Abercrombie store I'm in actual burning nose pain from whatever miasma billows out their air vents.
I can wear Lush Icon (of all things) and it won't bother me, and thanks to lush's open ingredients list I compared it with a lot of other Lush scents that gave me the bad reaction and noticed that none of the ingredients in Icon have any coumarin or things which contain coumarin (like tarragon). Here's the ingredients of icon: DRF Alcohol , Perfume , Myrrh Resinoid (Commiphora myrrha) , Orange Blossom Absolute (Citrus dulcis) , Bergamot Oil (Citrus bergamia) , Sandalwood Oil (Santalum album) , Mandarin Oil (Citrus nobilis) , *Citral , *Geraniol , *Benzyl Benzoate , *Farnesol , *Limonene
The girlfriend wears Creed Spring Flower and that doesn't bother me either, though she's tried some other scents and they'll trigger the allergy (?)
Is this a common thing? Anyone else have this reaction? If this is a coumarin allergy, does anyone know of some scents with no coumarin or coumarin containing ingredients (cinnamon, lavender, tonka, lemongrass, rose, tagetes, and tarragon)?

Quick check, why don't you get yourself some tonka beans and smell them? See what will happen. I guess it's possible that you are allergic to some synthetic derivate.

I wore Red Flower Ambrette yesterday. Consistency has changed to some oily gel. Still lasts decently for an all natural and smells interesting.

Last edited:

Notre

Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist???

hipster

Reaction score

M7 is the class of that bunch of fragrances, IMO. Definitely appropriate for cooler weather. Bottled and 1 Million will be fine as well, but those are very popular fragrances, which means you're going to smell like a lot of other people. Not sure if that's an important consideration for you. Same for La Nuit, although it's a better fragrance than Bottled or 1 Million IMO.

thank you.

finally managed to locate a better shop and went with DHI, a*men, prada amber intense and midnight in paris.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads