1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

SOOOO over priced this line is!!!

Have you tried the Precious Oud yet?

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: CdG Blue Santal.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Arabian Wood is the name of the fragrance I am wearing today. It is by Tom Ford.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Songe d'un Bois d'Ete today. Incensey oud. Good.

5. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Knize Ten today was outstanding. This is a must buy.
    What is the difference between this and Knize Ten Gold?

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Not a fan of this one - seems like Rose 31's ugly sister.

As far as Knize 10 is concerned, it is incredible - required sniffing for every one of you guys. The Mitsouko of men's fragrances, and no leather has come close to eclipsing it.
    A few years ago I was in a shop which had two 30 mL bottles which I bought for 30 dollars each and then bought the 125 mL tester for the same price. I thought that it was being discontinued and all you could get was the Gold. Glad I was wrong.

7. L'Incandescent

Wow, I really love it. I prefer it to Rose 31 by a lot, largely because there's a lot more rose.

8. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

A general question please...

Does Ralph Lauren make any decent fragrances? I'm visiting a RL store tomorrow and might pick up something new.

I tend toward the citrus fragrances.

Thank you

9. James1051

James1051 Senior member

I put 1 small spray on my arm about 7am. The fragrance smelled great to me and projection seemed only moderate, if that. I thought it was pretty much unnoticeable to the folks I work with. Put one additional spray on my neck at the end of the day, just before getting on the train, where I met my wife. She said I was projecting like a mofo. Coughing, waiving her hand, the whole bit. A bit embarrassed, I was still loving the frag.

Note to self: be careful with the sprayer.

10. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

Hm, the two most people talk in favor of by RL tend to have "green" scent as their top notes, but then turns into a woody/leather scent for the rest of the day. Those would be Polo by RL and Polo Modern.

11. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

MM,

Thanks. I'll sample those.

:<)

12. L'Incandescent

Tobacco Oud today. This is my first time wearing it, and I'm really impressed. This, along with the recent Plum Japonais, is a return to the aesthetic of the first batch of Private Blends. The name is quite accurate: there are prominent tobacco and oud notes. It's also sweetened by some labdanum, which is present right at the top, and tonka in the base. I think a lot of you guys would be interested in this.

13. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

L,

Some time ago you recommended Armani's Acqua Di Gio for me. My GF bought me the body spray for my birthday.

I love it for evening wear. Got any similar recommendations?

Thank you

14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Just went to Bergdorf Goodman and smelled the whole JAR line. It's quite the presentation to sit down and smell all of them. They have a bottle of "vintage" Golconda as well as a current one that has apparently been altered an imperceptible way due to IFRA regulations. I'm wearing each on my wrists and they are beautiful - spicy carnation.

15. L'Incandescent

Keeping with things that are pretty easy to find and that should have wide appeal, I'd suggest trying Bleu de Chanel and YSL L'Homme.
    Two that are a little bit less easily found that I'd recommend are Malaise of the 1970s by Etat Libre d'Orange and Colonia by Acqua di Parma.

16. James1051

James1051 Senior member

I decided to give my colleagues at work a break today, having clubbed them with Knize Ten yesterday.

Just at the end of the work day, I applied Fougere Bengale, and cautiously.

Starts as a barbershop frag, and l like those. Good. About 10m later, WHOA! Immortelle tobacco and a funky, pissy, sweaty note have completely displaced the barbers!
    That sweaty/pissy note IDs itself as cumin, and there's some curry in there too. I don't like those notes a little bit; or so I think. Slowly, they get more interesting. Is it me? or the frag?what the? I have no idea what to make of this.

At the 2.5 hr mark, the frag evolves again, heading to vanilla + oak moss territory, with the immortelle and curry in the background. Sounds bad, right? Nope. Its great.

this guy Corticchiato know his stuff!

17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Fougere Bengale really is a challenging scent. I bought a full tester at a sale once because the price was ridiculous. I don't mind it, but I think it would not be good for the office.

Today I went for a sample of HdP 1725. I quite like this, but I think it was a bit lacking in complexity; I mostly got vanilla from it.

18. James1051

James1051 Senior member

You are right about that! I doubt I would buy it, interesting though it is.

19. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I've tried both and they're decent. I'm currently trying samples of creed Bois du Portugal, SMW and Aventus.

20. kulata

kulata Senior member

Montale Black Aoud today