1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Yohji Homme.

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Anyone else tried Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur? If you like leather fragrances then you should give this one a try because it is one of the most "under the radar" leathers in existence. It starts out with a little spicy cumin, leather, and violet leaf. The cumin is not sweaty or New York taxicab, but adds texture in a way that you'd turn smooth leather into nubuck.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

So, StephenHero, I remember that you mentioned that you were also getting a bottle of YSL La Nuit de l'Homme? What else have you tried or bought that you really like?

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

not personally a violet fan so didn't like the Heeley myself. I think it's got that suede-y feeling like Daim Blond (without the apricots). I guess it's 'leather' but just not the way I'm used to thinking of it.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Pre-shower: Bel Ami
    SOTD: Back to Black.

1 person likes this.
  6. noirwest

noirwest Senior member

Musc Ravageur today. First time I've worn it in several months, definitely one of my favorites.

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

My taste is pretty middle brow. I simply don't have the cash to pony up for more exclusive stuff and I haven't gone out of my way to find them for testing. My favorites that I've tested are probably the following:

Tom Ford Black Orchid
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
    Acqua di Parma Bergomotto
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intenza
    Armani Code
    Dior Eau Savage
    Hanae Mori HiM

I own a few that don't get much play that I regret buying: Mont Blanc Individuel, Ralph Lauren Safari, D&G The One, Encre Noir. My everyday cologne is Ralph Lauren Explorer, despite it being pretty boring. Rive Gauche is probably my second most used cologne. I was using Acqua di Parma Aranci a lot this summer, but put it away for fall.

Still trying to get my nose on some others:

Chanel Sycomore
    Creed Millisimme Imperial & Bois du Portugal & Tabarome
    Guerlain Vetiver
    L'Instant De Guerlain

I'd like to get into the Givenchy, Tom Ford and Guerlain lines more but haven't really had access to them. I'm having a lot of fun with it though.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Last night I sorted through my samples and put the autumn/winter ones away. So now I am getting into all those spring/summer samples I bought ages ago and have barely tried. First off is Vetiver Extraordinaire.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

You may not like the vetiver fragrances after trying for a while - a lot of people don't. Sycomore was the one that clicked for me and led me to appreciate them all, but I must say that the long-considered classic and benchmark vetiver by Guerlain is the one I probably like the least.

And for this winter, there are still many wonderful 80's colognes that are super cheap and worth a consideration or sniff:

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
    Caron Third Man
    Antonio Puig Quorum - seriously.
    Giorgio for Men

10. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: vintage Rochas Femme pdt
    SOTD: Sahara Noir

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Amouage Fate for Men.

12. coolron

coolron Senior member

Today's scent: Arquiste L'etrog.

13. James1051

James1051 Senior member

For me today it was Santal Noble. This is a terrific sent, which lasts all day and manages to get better and better as the day wears on.

Yesterday I tried Bois des Iles. That is also a lovely sent, but it sits very lightly on the skin and after about three hours I was having a hard time detecting it. I will try it again in a few days. I have been battling a cold, and my sniffer is not 100%.

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Today is Byredo Chembur. I appreciate this as an incense scent with a bit of projection, but I'm buggered if I know what it is doing in my spring/summer box. Today is a pretty cool day so it is working well for me, but I think it will get parked until the weather turns to autumn.

15. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I had seen Quorum mentioned as a quality cheap cologne on the basenotes board, but I've never seen it. Who carries those older mainstream scents?

16. L'Incandescent

If you have a Marshall's or a TJ Maxx near you, the odds are good that you'll find Quorum there.

17. Master-Classter

For Byredo (Encense) Chembur - At first all I got was an etherial woody incense, but upon reading the notes, I noticed there's a sort of citrus (mandarin?) opening there, and also quite a lot of dried ginger. I find it wears nicer than it smells just on paper, although even though I'm an incense guy I still don't really like it much.

18. Master-Classter

Some mini reviews for y'all. Today it was a bunch of Penhaligon's samples I've had for ages but just never gotten 'round to sniffing:

Hammam Bouquet - hmmm, this is old school, lovely very old school. It's that fresh English rose that I usually hate but well balanced out with a soft talc-y baby powder. For some reason reminds me strongly of Jicky with a sort of creamy fattyness. Come to think of it, they're from right around the same era so maybe makes sense. Overall impression - this is classy stuff. Maybe a bit mature for me (28 years old) but not way out there. I suppose it could be a casual fragrance but feels slightly more formal like business casual. Perhaps the better description is 'proper'. There's a slight undertone of woods and spices but it's very smoothly blended. Reminds me a lot of baby powder but expensive body powder. I feel like there's something dirty almost fecal hiding under the surface here but just out of reach. Again, very class stuff. If you're at all into classic gentleman scents, and I don't mean fougere/spice like 80's powerhouses, more like classic Guerlains/Carons, etc then this is a must TRY. Nothing much more noted there on Basenotes reviews. It reminds me again that what men wore at the turn of the century is so different from the modern stuff and yet it's still approachable and wearable. Funny, but just based on the listed notes I really expected to not like this but it's a surprise winner for me. Might even consider a bottle one day. Could easily be someone's signature scent, for the right kind of guy. Meaning I think it's a pretty versatile scent.

Castile - first impression is something between a classic EdC and Blenheim Bouquet, which is to say I'm smelling herbs green woods. I'm getting some citrus like a lemon, then some bitterness, almost a green sharp bitterness like galbanum or petitgrain. It's watery and herbally crisp. BN reviews are saying it's a lot of Neroli. Even on the plastic scent strip it faded pretty quickly. If you're really into EdC's, then I guess try it, otherwise for me it's a necessary fragrance style for each line to have so I understand, but my overall impression is its fairly boring. PASS

Racquets - Well, what can I say, the house is consistent in their style. There's a sort of creamy powdery aspect here along with fresh citrus and herbs. Although in this one I detect something a littler darker as well. It's milky creamy rather than powdery per se. Actually I'd say this it a bit like Rive Gauche PH with the spices rounded out more. BN reviews are saying there's some moss in there too. Maybe a bit predictable, but actually I'd say it a TRY if you're into this sort of thing.

Endymion - Well this is a departure. I smell warm sweet candy like qualities with a bit of smokey and spice underneath. My first reaction is mixed because it's attractively cozy, and yet reminds me too much of some overly sweet 90's gourmands. It's dried down now to a softer honey fragrance. I had high hopes for this one, having smelled it many years ago, plus have been on the hunt for a good coffee note, which this supposedly had but it's lost in the mix I'm afraid. Reminds me of something between Versace Blue Jeans and Valentino V. I guess it's pleasant enough but just not enough individual personality, and as usual, very minimal longevity/projection. I'm surprisingly let down I think, only because I had such positive memories of this one. Unfortunately, a PASS IMO.

Opus 1870 - you know I've never connected that 'floor/pine cleaner' to anything before. This may be a first. I'm immedietely hit with lemon and pepper. Almost in a foody way. I'm struggling to think what this reminds me of since I know I've smelled something so similar before. Maybe it's Pesto? or some sort of fresh herb mix like Herbs Du Province? There's a slight minty/eucalyptus angle here too I think. Well the fresh lemons aren't of much interest to me here, but the sharp pepper tones and incense(?) are catching my attention. Again, somewhat similar to Blenheim, without all the pine. Maybe it's Monsieur Balmain? I'm reading BN now. Ah, Yuzu, so a slightly more sour lemon, that makes sense. And somewhere between the pepper and coriander, that explains the dry sharp spice plus bit of funk there. This one feels a bit rough around the edges IMO. I suppose the cinnamon and sandalwood should soften it up but the cinnamon is the dry raspy kind. It starts off with some strong citruses but ends up drying down to something much more dry woody, almost unpleasantly so. I guess there's a hint of Rose 31 in here but not quite. If you'd a fan of Gucci PH I for example, or Rose 31, but also like Blenheim, this may be worth a shot, otherwise I'd say it's a PASS.

19. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Evening all.
    Anyone else having trouble getting on BN tonight?

20. L'Incandescent

They are in the process of moving over to a new system.