• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a bottle of Apres l'Ondee on ebay and it just came, wearing it for the first time. A very pretty floral. Lots of violets, it's nothing like anything else I wear but it seems perfectly appropriate for a man - it's floral like a stroll through a flower market, not like a perfume. Very bright and fresh, it doesn't smell particularly old fashioned either. Good projection and longevity so far, too.

I'm curious about the parfum now. It's impossible to find but I'm having a hard time picturing how such a bright fresh style of scent would be interpreted as an extrait.

Last edited:

stayhealthy

Reaction score
Welcome. I have fond memories of Scent Intense; had a bottle or two way back when. You are right that it lasts forever! I found it much better for evening wear than day wear (felt a little too "dark" to wear in daylight hours), but a lot of fun. If you like it, you may also want to try Ungaro III.
Never tried the Beluga; for a Guerlain fan, I've never ventured beyond the classics. So, while I can go all day long about Jicky or Shalimar, I know nothing about Cuir, Double Vanille, etc. (most of the rest of that super pricey line in the rectangular bottles). If it ain't got a bee on it, I ain't tried it.
wink.gif

Speaking of Mitsouko, anybody else want any pre-reform parfum before I leave Japan? PM me ASAP if so.

thanks for the tip although i am done with buying perfumes. i got so many and i don't wear the stuff that often since at work there are some people who are really sensitive to perfumes resulting in them getting migraines.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jubilation XXV for the day. Still going kinda strong after 10 hours. Simply great.

For the evening, AbdesSalam Attar - Sharif.

Not sure whether most of my perfume aged extremely in the past week (unlikely), or my nose changed noticeably (more likely), but I get different notes than usual from fragrances I though I knew. Not always with a positive result (for example, I had this sharp/biting note in Bois des Iles parfum, Cuir de Russie parfum and MKK -- just for a timeframe though, luckily), but generally it's fascinating. It really is different for about a 5-7 days now.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I bought a bottle of Apres l'Ondee on ebay and it just came, wearing it for the first time. A very pretty floral. Lots of violets, it's nothing like anything else I wear but it seems perfectly appropriate for a man - it's floral like a stroll through a flower market, not like a perfume. Very bright and fresh, it doesn't smell particularly old fashioned either. Good projection and longevity so far, too.
I'm curious about the parfum now. It's impossible to find but I'm having a hard time picturing how such a bright fresh style of scent would be interpreted as an extrait.

The only three real "full on" floral extraits I've had were Chamade, Chanel Gardenia, and Diorissimo. The first two, I felt, worked better as an EdT. The lightness and freshness of the florals felt a little heavy to me and overly-sweet when full-on in the parfum (probably an inevitable result of parfum-strength vanilla/tonka in many florals). They were still lovely, of course (especially Chamade). Diorissimo, however, was amazing as a parfum; the bright lily/jasmine was grounded with some dark, indolic funk (becoming almost unisex).

Orientals and chypres are my favorites in extrait; they get to play up the dark depth of their bases and so take on a whole different character (like Coco, which is LOUD and sweet in EdT, is a dark, smokey liqueur in parfum). LIkewise, Mitsouko becomes woodier, darker...

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least Surrender to Chance carries some. So for sampling that's good. I'm not familiar with the shipping rates from ilprofumo to the US, but if it's too high, maybe some sort of proxying may be cheaper? I don't know, but let me know if you've figured it out.

Like I said, I only tried Sharif so far, which is interesting. I wish it had a little less "cinnamon" but otherwise it's very enjoyable nonetheless. The fact that they're 100% natural adds something too. ;)

Last edited:

Maquis

Reaction score
So, I finally got a chance to wear Patchouli 24 yesterday. I really like the *idea* of it, but in reality it kind of smelled like over-oaked bong water...:slayer:

(edit: HORNS, I just saw your post. I think a barbecue would be a great place to wear Patchouli 24!)

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I switched into Je Suis un Homme for the evening. It's a citrusy cologne-type scent that's also fairly dirty. I like it quite a bit, but it doesn't make it into my rotation very often.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Geo F Trumper Sandalwood.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stinking hot in Sydney today (stark contrast to last friday, the coldest october day in 60 years), Philosykos provided some relief

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Burning the candle at both ends today, and decided to wear A*Men Pure Havane for a chilly morning. hell yes.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Ombre de Hyacinth. I don't think I'm going to warm up to this one.
SOTD: Fumerie Turque.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice choices, fellas. The 50 years of Hedione above sounds interesting. I enjoy those kinds of things, conceptually if not as an actual scent (anybody remember Helmut Lang Velviona?)

It's almost time for bed and I'm nursing a small cold... so not feeling like wearing much of any fragrance. I shall make sacrifices, however, for I haven't NOT worn a scent to bed in years. Maybe a little Arpege to tuck me in. :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads