• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I was playing around with Eau du Coq last night and comparing it to stuff like Eau Sauvage and Eau de Guerlain. I found that, as a whole, Eau du Coq had really terrible lasting power compared to those other citrus scents. It goes on very interesting, then all there is left on my hand after 5 minutes is a straight light civet note. I think it might work better as a layering scent because it really doesn't last at all. Eau de Guerlain actually has a presence for several hours - next time I'm going to try them together.

I'll be interested to compare it to the Japanese scent Eroica I mentioned a few pages back. Found it for a song, it's made by Kanebo and was a surprisingly weird Japanese scent from the 1970's. Sounds something like what you're mentioning, and also has a surprising dose of funky civet... and given that most of those old Japanese scents were copied from something else at the time, I'd not be surprised if it's DNA is carried over from the Guerlain.

Anyway, here's hoping that what the Coq lacks in length it makes up for in girth.

Last edited:

CologneReview

Reaction score
SOTD: Amouage Reflection Man

Mr Melanzane

Reaction score
Knize 10 was great for today. Will hit it again tomorrow or L'AP Navigateur if similar weather and mood.

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Oud Wood for today.

I want to give a shot to some Vintage fragrances and want to know your thoughts about these fragrances.

Lanvin Scandal

Vintage Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme

Capucci Punjab

Moschino Pour Homme

Versailles Pour Homme

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Taste of Heaven for me today. Don't know why I felt like wearing this, as it's not normally one of my favorites. I do like it, though.

i REALLY like that. i wore cruel intentions today.....ran out of taste of heaven last month.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i REALLY like that. i wore cruel intentions today.....ran out of taste of heaven last month.

Are you a fan of the Kilian line in general?

I like Cruel Intentions quite a bit. My other favorites from the line are Rose Oud (probably my favorite), Back in Black, and Amber Oud. I like Love and Tears as well. But I'm not a big fan of Straight to Heaven, Liaisons Dangereuses, or the two Asian Tales scents.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Are you a fan of the Kilian line in general?
I like Cruel Intentions quite a bit. My other favorites from the line are Rose Oud (probably my favorite), Back in Black, and Amber Oud. I like Love and Tears as well. But I'm not a big fan of Straight to Heaven, Liaisons Dangereuses, or the two Asian Tales scents.

ive only tried the cruel intentions, taste of heaven, and back in black. Rose Oud sounds incredible....im a huge fan of anything with Oud. Taste of heaven wore really well on me.

marg

Reaction score
I've been wearing lumiere noire lately. Works very well with my skin. At first, I wasn't a huge fan because it was out of my comfort zone, but I'm so glad I did. When my bottle runs out, I will try to branch out a little more.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oud Wood for today.
I want to give a shot to some Vintage fragrances and want to know your thoughts about these fragrances.
Lanvin Scandal
Vintage Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme
Capucci Punjab
Moschino Pour Homme
Versailles Pour Homme

The only one I know is Van Cleef & Arpels. It's a good scent - soapy, slightly animalistic fougere in the style of Jules or Trussardi Uomo or several others in that vein. I happen to like that style but you don't need to have more than one or two in the genre to be covered.

Maquis

Reaction score

There are others in this thread who appreciate and know more about leathers than I do. That said, my favorites in the genre are ELDO Rien, Creed Royal English Leather, TF Tuscan Leather, and Hermes Bel Ami. My sense is that the most wearable, least offensive of these are the TF and the Creed. Bel Ami is very big and loud, and Rien is extremely bitter.
Kolnisch Juchten is also a lot of fun to wear; I didn't mention it above just because it's very rare.

Thanks, L'Incandescent. I've tried Bel Ami—and I remember I liked it-—but I don't remember a very prominent leather accord. I'll make sure to sample it again. I also remember trying Tuscan Leather at the Bloomingale's TF counter, and I thought it was ok, but not very memorable. Both Rien and Kolnisch Juchten sound interesting; it may be time for more decants...

I got a little sample of MP&Gs Cuir Fetiche last week. It's less floral than CdR; I feel it could be in the same register as current Knize Ten (if I could compare them directly.) I just love the richness and complexity of the Cuir de Russie parfum, but the drydown gets a little too floral for my tastes. I'll keep looking...

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you might consider revisiting Knize Ten. I haven't heard anything about it being changed over the years.

I'm not sure if Cuir Mauresque has made it into the Serge Lutens export line, but that another good leather scent that reminds me of Ten. Etro Gomma is another.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As usual from you, a good choice. Haven't seen anybody wear this one for a long time. Where do you rank it in the pantheon of liquorice scents? (and did you ever have the old Yohji homme?)

Never tried Yojhi home. The Caron may be my favorite licorice scent--the licorice & verbena play off of each other in a way that always pleasantly surprises me.

On the subject of leathers, I always recommend Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Cuir et Champignon.

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score

The only one I know is Van Cleef & Arpels. It's a good scent - soapy, slightly animalistic fougere in the style of Jules or Trussardi Uomo or several others in that vein. I happen to like that style but you don't need to have more than one or two in the genre to be covered.

Thanks for the reply Baron. I will try out a sample of Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme first instead of going for a blind buy.

P.S. - I read your top ten fragrance list posted a while back and really like your choices. I would like to know what are your current favorites.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure I could properly do a top ten list these days. My interests tend to drift around a lot. I would say that Nicolai New York is pretty much always on my list of favorites. Coming out of summer, I'm also partial to Declaration and Vintage Guerlain Vetiver EDC. Going into fall, I'm looking forward to wearing Azzaro PH, Dyptique Essence of John Galliano (no Nazi), Musk Kublai Khan, Idole de Lubin, Knize Ten, Shalimar Parfum, Yatagan...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads