Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

My own opinion is that it's a fairly generic citrus/aquatic. It came onto the market in 1996, and it's very much a fragrance of its time. But I think the bigger problem with Acqua di Gio is just that you're going to smell like everyone else.

2. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

that's what i figured...

well would you have any recommendations? i'm 20 years old, the age range of women who i am trying to attract with the scent ranges from 20 to 30 lol. personalities are all diverse as well, if that matters. and as for personal preference, character wise i'd like something that is casual and laid back that i could use during the day or night. i have not a single clue when it comes to cologne.

3. L'Incandescent

The other SOTD regulars might shun me for saying this, but you might want to give Bleu de Chanel a try. It's a mainstream scent, not meant to be weird or challenging, but it's quite good for what it is, IMO. Given your goals, I think it might be a good choice.

Another possibility that occurs to me off the top of my head is Voyage d'Hermes.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

@playdohh22: Abercrombie - Fierce. ;) Really, not that bad. But quite generic too, at least in Germany. I found out yesterday that it's from the same nose that created Amber Ambsolute, so that's also a reason why I recommend it to you, lol.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today: it was cool again and again I reached for something in the winter drawer - another amber, now that I think of it.

Ambers tend to take one of two forms - sweet, or not. What we call 'amber' is generally made up of vanilla, labdanum, and (sometimes) benzoin - so you can see where the sweetness comes from. Amber Absolute, for instance, is a sweet amber - as is Youth Dew Amber Nude and Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambre.

On the other hand, yesterday I pulled Goutal's Ambre Fetiche which is a dry, smoky, whip-cracking amber. Supposedly a leathery amber, I can't say for sure about that but it worked for me very nicely. Today, though, I spun through a bunch of other scents (including the Tobacco-based ones discussed yesterday) and hit upon my decant of Kerosene's Copper Skies. This one is a spicy tobacco-amber and is quite satisfying. There's a bit of sweetness in all ambers, I suppose but this one is well-balanced and if it lasts through the day might be a winner.

- playdohh22, winter's coming - I'd suggest a good Amber scent like the aforementioned, or the Prada Amber Intense, or Amber Absolute if you can find it. Also consider Chanel Egoiste which is not an amber but a wonderful fruity-spicy sandalwood.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Eh, maybe 10ml, just to have around.

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Satori Iris Homme, again.

8. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Monocle Scent 1 today.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This evening: Crown Perfumery Eau de Quinine.

10. L'Incandescent

Have you ever given a mini-review of Eau de Quinine? I checked the notes and it looks like it would have a very old-school, gentlemanly vibe.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This review on Basenotes pretty much nails it as being consistent with my thoughts on it:

This was a review from a chick who was wearing this and it reminds me of the first time I tasted a gin and tonic - I was at odds with the bitterness and gave the drink to someone else. However the memory of the taste nagged at me and I had to then revisit it not long after the first sip. It was then I got it and loved it ever since. Well, Eau de Quinine reminds me of not the first time to sip a G&T but the second time when I was amazed that something that was savory could be drinkable and so refreshing.

12. Homme

Homme Senior member

Sycomore yesterday, Mûre et Musc today. The blackberry was long gone by this evening but some musk had stuck around, so some MKK on top since it has been a while.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Wait, there's no natural rose oil and absolute in European perfume (anymore)? No opoponax? No orange (and most citrus fruits) whatsoever? :cry:

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Gotcher back, mang.

A lot of the naturals have been heavily regulated / restricted / banned due to sensitivities et al. Thanks IFRA. The other part of it is that naturals don't always smell the same between harvests / years / et al, and the Big Producers (Chanel, Guerlain, Lauder, etc) have to find ways to standardize it so No.5 / Mitsouko / Youth Dew smell the same (or at least recognizable) year after year.

Today: Mugler A*Men Pure Havane. All this talk about tobacco-based scents got me wanting this again. FWIW, I don't know what happened but the tobacco note in perfumery got a LOT better than before. I used to hate this note (D&G Pour Homme, for instance) but now it just seems more earthy, vibrant, decadent, and real.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Thomas, you're the one who brought to my attention that Herrera for Men was a tobacco scent, and it was one of my favorites back in the day. I had no freakin' clue.