1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I really need to try this one.

2. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

Amouage - Silver Man for the day.

And Amouage - Reflection Man for the evening.

3. limbo

limbo Senior Member

Speaking of BN, trying out Aventus today. A meh from me [​IMG]

4. yywwyy

yywwyy Distinguished Member

WTB your:
    1. Terre d'hermes, either version.
    2. Montale Red Vetyver, either.
    3. Creed Aventus.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

There are posters at BN for whom I have a lot of respect. But on the whole I find the signal to noise ratio to be pretty poor. You've really got to wade through a lot of contentless comments to find a really informative one. Moreover, a lot of the thread topics are not conducive to conversation at all. "What are your three favorite Bonds?" All anyone does is give a list of their three favorite Bonds, because that's the question. There's nothing to talk about.

There's a lot of groupthink at BN, and I think a lot of it comes from younger members who have a marked preference for clubbing/pantydropper scents. I think a lot of the hype around Aventus comes from that. I enjoy it myself, but it's not a transcendent work of perfumery or anything.

I just received my full bottle of Parure today. This is the best batch of Parure I've gotten yet, and I got it for a fantastic price.

6. sjmin209

sjmin209 Distinguished Member

Today: Penhaligon's LP No. 9
    Yesterday: Chergui
    Sunday: LAst of a bottle of Piper Nigrum

7. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

You like the orientals!

8. Homme

Homme Distinguished Member

Today was the hottest day in months, Philosykos. Sequoia yesterday, had a christening on Sunday so La Myrrhe (keeping with the religious theme and all0

9. STATcurse

STATcurse Active Member

I know it's gonna get cool soon so... TF Lavender Palm. This is a lot different than the other Tom Fords and I'm not sure in a good way. The one thing it has in common with the others is that it makes me feel much richer than I actually am.

10. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

Yes, I agree. There is a sense of discovery though that makes it interesting, while you're discovering. But the other aspect that I really disliked was the acquisitiveness. At BN but even more at, say, POL, there's a Look-What-I-Just-Got theme running through all of the conversations. The latest, newest, most expensive, least-available. No wonder prices shot through the roof once the boards started proliferating.

BTW: I sold off the bottle of Ho Hang (YEAH I GOT MONIEZ FOR IT!). A friend knew someone who really liked it, got us in touch, and I ended up shipping off a box of unloved scents her way. She really liked the Ho Hang, I mean rapturously, deliriously, overwhelmingly loved it. Told me twice, via lengthy FB PMs. (but, I threw in my bottle of john varvatos gratis, which she also loved.)

I can't think of three Bonds I'd pay money for, so that's one conversation I have no interest in.

You've been posting some quality scents lately.

I like Lavender Palm, more than I'd expected.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

11. L'Incandescent

1. Chinatown
    2. New Haarlem
    3. New York Oud

(That was a cool conversation we had just now!)

Also, +1 on Lavender Palm. The drydown goes in a really surprising direction. It's supersweet and musky; sometimes I love it and sometimes I don't, it really depends on my mood.

Speaking of TF, it's Cafe Rose for me today. Reviews of this are so-so, but I like it a lot. It's actually fairly similar to Rose Oud (by Kilian), but it's got that Tom Ford brashness that was such an important feature of the earlier PB releases. It's a very bright saffrony rose, with more and more patchouli emerging as it dries down. For some reason I hardly ever detect coffee notes that are supposed to be in fragrances, and this one is no exception.

12. STATcurse

STATcurse Active Member

I would pay money for those. And Silver Factory and Bleecker -- just not the amount they charge.

13. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

Since we're talking about Bond, I'd read that Laurice Rahme is facing a discrimination lawsuit from a former employee. What's funny (from a distance) is that Ms. Rahme seems to be a polarizing individual - she has FRIENDS and H8ERS, and everyone else picks a side. That tends to ruin nearly every conversation that refers to Bond, because someone starts hating on her, and a friend jumps up to defend her and from there the fireworks follow.

BTW: iirc, Dane hated Chinatown, until one day he loved it. I can't even remember what it smelled like.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

14. L'Incandescent

Yeah, I remember that from peredepierre! I really think Chinatown is a fantastic scent, and definitely the best in their lineup.

15. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Yesterday evening I copiously sprayed Voyage d'Hermes on me and woke up to a lovely incense/exotic spice smell on my shirt.