Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I really need to try this one.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Amouage - Silver Man for the day.

And Amouage - Reflection Man for the evening.

3. limbo

limbo Senior member

Speaking of BN, trying out Aventus today. A meh from me [​IMG]

4. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

WTB your:
    1. Terre d'hermes, either version.
    2. Montale Red Vetyver, either.
    3. Creed Aventus.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

There are posters at BN for whom I have a lot of respect. But on the whole I find the signal to noise ratio to be pretty poor. You've really got to wade through a lot of contentless comments to find a really informative one. Moreover, a lot of the thread topics are not conducive to conversation at all. "What are your three favorite Bonds?" All anyone does is give a list of their three favorite Bonds, because that's the question. There's nothing to talk about.

There's a lot of groupthink at BN, and I think a lot of it comes from younger members who have a marked preference for clubbing/pantydropper scents. I think a lot of the hype around Aventus comes from that. I enjoy it myself, but it's not a transcendent work of perfumery or anything.

I just received my full bottle of Parure today. This is the best batch of Parure I've gotten yet, and I got it for a fantastic price.

6. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Today: Penhaligon's LP No. 9
    Yesterday: Chergui
    Sunday: LAst of a bottle of Piper Nigrum

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

You like the orientals!

8. Homme

Homme Senior member

Today was the hottest day in months, Philosykos. Sequoia yesterday, had a christening on Sunday so La Myrrhe (keeping with the religious theme and all0

9. STATcurse

STATcurse Active Member

I know it's gonna get cool soon so... TF Lavender Palm. This is a lot different than the other Tom Fords and I'm not sure in a good way. The one thing it has in common with the others is that it makes me feel much richer than I actually am.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yes, I agree. There is a sense of discovery though that makes it interesting, while you're discovering. But the other aspect that I really disliked was the acquisitiveness. At BN but even more at, say, POL, there's a Look-What-I-Just-Got theme running through all of the conversations. The latest, newest, most expensive, least-available. No wonder prices shot through the roof once the boards started proliferating.

BTW: I sold off the bottle of Ho Hang (YEAH I GOT MONIEZ FOR IT!). A friend knew someone who really liked it, got us in touch, and I ended up shipping off a box of unloved scents her way. She really liked the Ho Hang, I mean rapturously, deliriously, overwhelmingly loved it. Told me twice, via lengthy FB PMs. (but, I threw in my bottle of john varvatos gratis, which she also loved.)

I can't think of three Bonds I'd pay money for, so that's one conversation I have no interest in.

You've been posting some quality scents lately.

I like Lavender Palm, more than I'd expected.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

11. L'Incandescent

1. Chinatown
    2. New Haarlem
    3. New York Oud

(That was a cool conversation we had just now!)

Also, +1 on Lavender Palm. The drydown goes in a really surprising direction. It's supersweet and musky; sometimes I love it and sometimes I don't, it really depends on my mood.

Speaking of TF, it's Cafe Rose for me today. Reviews of this are so-so, but I like it a lot. It's actually fairly similar to Rose Oud (by Kilian), but it's got that Tom Ford brashness that was such an important feature of the earlier PB releases. It's a very bright saffrony rose, with more and more patchouli emerging as it dries down. For some reason I hardly ever detect coffee notes that are supposed to be in fragrances, and this one is no exception.

12. STATcurse

STATcurse Active Member

I would pay money for those. And Silver Factory and Bleecker -- just not the amount they charge.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Since we're talking about Bond, I'd read that Laurice Rahme is facing a discrimination lawsuit from a former employee. What's funny (from a distance) is that Ms. Rahme seems to be a polarizing individual - she has FRIENDS and H8ERS, and everyone else picks a side. That tends to ruin nearly every conversation that refers to Bond, because someone starts hating on her, and a friend jumps up to defend her and from there the fireworks follow.

BTW: iirc, Dane hated Chinatown, until one day he loved it. I can't even remember what it smelled like.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

14. L'Incandescent

Yeah, I remember that from peredepierre! I really think Chinatown is a fantastic scent, and definitely the best in their lineup.

15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Yesterday evening I copiously sprayed Voyage d'Hermes on me and woke up to a lovely incense/exotic spice smell on my shirt.