1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Working in the yard today - Diptyque Olene, which is branded as a wisteria but in reality is the richest, most accurate and overripe jasmine I've ever smelled.

2. rossoz

rossoz Senior Member

What to wear to a Jimmy Buffet concert?

Garzie

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Guerlain Homme. It's not exactly a Margarita, but it's got a Mojito accord!
    Marc Jacobs Men... nice dash of coconut.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

Great suggestions by rach. Here are a couple more possibilities:

Creed Virgin Island Water. It's got a very summery, relaxed vibe. Smells a bit like pina coladas.
    Etat Libre d'Orange Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes. This is better than VIW, IMO. As the name suggests, it's got steamed rice and citrus notes (with lime being the most prominent). It's got a very nice coconut note too.

I had to wash off the No. 5 Eau Premiere because Genevieve scratched up my arms. (Long story.) Switched into my third fragrance of the day: Creed Royal English Leather. Not a big fan, though I wonder what HORNS and Thomas think, as they enjoy their cuirs even more than I do.

5. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

Whoops. I meant Memo - Shams. It's the scent with the most projection and longevity I have encountered so far. It really is that intense. Quite good too (just extreme, I'd need an atomizer that just hits me with 1/3 of a spritz).

Yeah, that was what I thought about when I chose it (actually, I needed to come up with a nickname and was drinking a beverage called "bios", lol).

I didn't know they named Jaeger-LeCoultre after you. :slayer: (ok, not so funny, I posted this after reading the first paragraph.. and you wrote about it in the second ;))

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

6. L'Incandescent

Nombril Immense

7. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior Member

Earplugs! :D

I think l'incandescent's suggestion of VIW is excellent.

Today: Insense.

8. rach2jlc

^:lol: Yeah, I must admit I've never understood the appeal of JB. My parent's neighbors have seen him nearly 40 times; it's definitely a subculture. I mean, I like margaritaville and all, but...

Today is another custom blend from the Japanese parfumeur I talked about before (who studied with Roudnitska). this one isn't really "bespoke," but is sort of "made to measure." It's something we just sort of concocted from some pieces she already had... sort of Mouchoir de Monsieur with an indolic rose/jasmine note. SO, it's got a spicey, civety base with a rotten floral top. Foul and lovely, but nothing amazing.

9. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

Santal Noble. Didn't smell much of it today.

Memo - Granada. I like it a lot.

CdG - Odeur 71. They market it as 95% synthetics. Sharp rose. Hints of (synthetic) oud.

10. L'Incandescent

Switched into Byredo Baudelaire for the evening. I noticed a couple days ago that Byredo is taking another beating in the forums at Basenotes. There's a lot of hostility to that brand that I don't entirely understand. One of the most common complaints I read is that their scents are unoriginal and derivative. They're not CdG or ELDO, of course, but at minimum I think Baudelaire, Bal d'Afrique, and M/Mink are pretty original.

11. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Odeur 71 is very interesting. I get a lot of cilantro in the first few hours of that.

12. L'Incandescent

The mighty Muscs Koublai Khan for me today.

13. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Today: Tubereuse Criminelle.

14. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

I haven't been to BN in forever and long ago lost faith in their ability to discern good from crap. I mean, they love Creed beyond all rational limits.

Put it another way. Pierre Cardin for men is very well liked, and Ho Hang is predominantly positive. I read their reviews trying to figure out what they were smelling and 30 minutes later I figured they were all stoned.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

15. rach2jlc

+1; I haven't been there in 3-4 years either. IMHO, it died in about 2004-2005. For about 10 months in that time, it had a great blend of people both in the industry and just long-time customers who knew their stuff. Even Luca Turn was a member (as was, IIRC, Andy Tauer). The swap/sell boards were amazing, and the splits were a lot of fun.

Fragrance, though, just isn't the sort of thing you can keep up for a long time; after you have identified your likes and dislikes, you start to repeat yourself endlessly. At least on SF we have lots of other threads on other topics. Imagine if everything were like the SOTD... it would get old quickly.

Though, again, the last week or two on this thread have been incredible.

p.s. I think I was responsible for your collection ending up with Ho Hang, right? Oops. (haha) I hope it was in a box with other stuff that was better. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012