Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yep, Avignon is the Churchasaurus Rex of scents - incense and heavy oak and stone floors. Sometimes it's too dry but such is life.

2. green bastard

green bastard Senior member

My old Avignon sample is almost empty so I'll get another one the next time I place a Aus Liebe zum Duft-order. I do not wear it regularly as it is really linear, but it's perfect when Im in the right mood. I never got to test Heeley's Cardinal but it seems that these two are very much alike so you might give it a try as well.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Did anyone recommend Viloresi Incensi yet? That one was one of my favorites.

L'artisan Passage d'enfer is well regarded, but I didn't love it. Overall, I think the best "accessible" Incense out there is the CdG series, as mentioned by others. It's classic, unique, heavy on the note in question, and relatively affordable (compared to the LV or L'aP). How much is a 50ml bottle in the US now? It used to be $70 or so... which isn't bad considering.

If you can find a bottle, a unique take on the note is the original Givenchy Insense (NOT Ultramarine!) It is a masculine floral with a lot of rose and incense at the base. I didn't love it, by any means, but it's still one to try.

As well, if you can find the original Chanel no. 22 in the EdT or parfum concentration, it's got a great incense note. The current "les exclusifs" is more like the old EdC, which is also nice but sweeter and more aldehydic with the incense played down.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

A pale imitation, IMO. As are almost all the Heeley scents.

I don't remember much incense in Incensi. Passage d'Enfer is a lovely scent, but I couldn't describe the notes to you for all the gold in Fort Knox. Is just a weird kind of scent.

5. Homme

Homme Senior member

SL Fille en Aiguilles has a nice incense note to it (the pine-sap is also lovely).

Cuir Mauresque today

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Eau d'Hermes

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Bois des Iles

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Oud 27. It was either that or Polo Green.

9. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

:plain:

11. ExAngel

ExAngel Senior member

morning: hildi soliani bell'antonio for my morning coffee/biscotti run
    afternoon: creed green irish tweed for the rest of the day while i work
    night: mdci invasion barbare to reel in my prey

repeat x ∞

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  12. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

That's very possible; as years pass from the time of being really into sniffing/trading/trying new stuff and expanding my wardrobe, I start sometimes to confuse or forget what is actually IN a scent and just remember peripheral parts of the experience.

SO, with the LV, I may have just been remembering that I really liked the scent, more than that it actually had incense in it.

From here on out, I'll leave the recs to you fellows who are still active in the sniffy-world. I've got my half-dozen urns of stink on my shelf and doubt I'll expand too much more. It's not quite Foo's One Shoe, but it's as close as a fragrance nut will ever get.

Final committee meeting with a group of old Japanese bureaucrats today who absolutely hate me (the feeling is mutual). I shall make it a memorable experience by wearing a LOT, I mean a LOT, of Eau d'hermes. Keep in mind that today it's about 94 degrees and 95 % humidity, and thanks to the earthquake last year they've cut back on air conditioning. OH yeah, it will be a fun meeting.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  13. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

:fu:

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've responded and asked more specifically for samples to be sent to me. We'll see...

Anyway, Passage d'Enfer for me today. Tea, fruit, a little mysterious.. I like it. I prefer the opening over the (late) drydown. Longevity is fine. Projection too.

15. loveswatching

loveswatching Senior member

^ that is funny stuff....Maybe they have changed things around on their website. They also have a facebook account maybe you can reach and request there.

Yesterday: Guerlain Rose barbare
    Today: Le Labo baie rose - Damm thing has no longevity on my skin at all whereas the review says it last forever.