Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. green bastard

green bastard Senior member

You seriously asked them to ship you their entire line? Well, that's pretty bold. I emailed Serge Lutens about 3 samples last summer. They responded quickly and said that the samples had been shipped. But those samples never arrived, so I asked about it and have yet to hear from them again. Although I did not like the 4-5 ones I've tried so far, that kind of peculiar attitude disgruntles me. (If the mail did not get lost)

Got rid of that nasty Calamus this evening and put on the wonderful Comme des Garcons: Jaisalmer The longevity is nothing to write home about, but it's very pleasant the while it lasts.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

2. loveswatching

loveswatching Senior member

I asked for 4-5 specific samples and instead this packet showed up. Its a wax based sample of 1-2 application only.

3. CologneReview

CologneReview Senior member

Just a little cross promotion, we are trying to split Musc Ravageur for the upcoming Fall/Winter season.

Find out more here

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I sampled creed aventus an Bulgari man today. I have 1 spray on each hand so I am not exactly sure what I am smelling. I liked aventus more initially, but maybe the layering of the 2 is working well. Either way, I like it,6 hours later

5. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Can anyone recommend some good frankincense or incense in general frags that don't have a strong cedar or sharp woody note?
    I once bought some frankincense in a market in morocco and have been looking for a frag that smells like the genuine article ever since. So far, only Jubilation 25 (which I absolutely love) has really done it for me. Dia and Epic man are on my list, if anyone can recommend some others I'd appreciate it.

Wore Neroli Portofino again today. It is starting to grow on me. There's a nice freshness to it that I like. It's very linear and simple, but it sometimes that's what I'm looking for in a frag.

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

^I'll let others chime in with recs... if they leave any out, I'll jump in.

Today I layered Joy EdP with Montale White Musk. Was curious to see how an indolic jasmine/heavy rose scent would play with a very bright musk. The combo was quite unique... the musk brightened the "heavy" and stinky florals, and the florals gave some needed weight to the musk (which can sometimes feel almost soapy).

Wouldn't want to wear this everyday, but it was a risk that, somewhat, paid off.

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

For the incense you are looking for, I believe it begins and ends with Timbuktu.

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

For frankincense in particular, I'd suggest a couple:

Reverie au Jardin by Andy Tauer. At the very top you get a strong, almost bleachy lavender, but shortly thereafter it becomes a nicely blended scent with a prominent note of frankincense. I'm a big fan of this one, but it takes a little getting used to.

Bond No. 9 Cooper Square. This one has a pretty big frankincense note.

Coromandel is also worth a try. It's the patchouli that'll probably seem most prominent, but there's frankincense in there too.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

What's that CdG series 3 with the frankenscence? Is it Jaismailander, Kyoto, or Avignon?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

10. L'Incandescent

I'm quite sure it's Avignon. I've heard lots of very good things about that, but I haven't tried it.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Anyone who spent much time in the church as a youth should probably steer clear of them for fear of flashbacks.

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Well, did you actually make sure everyone knew what fragrance you were wearing? Like removing the label of the bottle and pin it to your forehead? Didn't think of that, did you?
    (Note: If you did, HermesMan would be proud.)

Will try, thanks.

I would try every scent of Amouage's lineup. Most of them are heavy on the frankincense. I'm sure you'll enjoy one or another.
    --------

I wore Amber Absolute for my first day at the university yesterday.
    Today, it's Noir Épices. I enjoy.

13. L'Incandescent

Well, did you actually make sure everyone knew what fragrance you were wearing? Like removing the label of the bottle and pin it to your forehead? Didn't think of that, did you?

Looking back, I think I made two mistakes. First, I assumed everyone would recognize the scent I was wearing. Second, I assumed everyone would know how to translate the name into English. Oh well, live and learn.

Neroli 36 today. I'm pretty sure this is my favorite neroli.

14. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Thanks for the recommendations, I shall try all of those. I scored some Coromandel but have yet to try it. Timbuktu has been on the radar but I have feared it would be too floral for some reason. Speaking of L'artisan, my girlfriend was wearing 'traversee du bosphore' last night and it was fantastic. The first time I tried it, I was put off, but on her it smelled fantastic.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Balenciaga Pour Homme.