Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Thanks mang. Tonight will be better.

The thing about CC, and to a lesser extent Creed, Rance, et al, is that they market carefully according to their target audience. CC in particular markets their scents around the high prices - and is designed to attract the person for whom only the Most Expensive is good enough. Never mind that Chanel does far better at a far lower price point - for CC's target audience it's all about exclusivity.

Last time I wandered through NM, I saw the tiny CC counter and the rep there really didn't have any ammo to draw me in other than "World's Most Expensive...blah blah..." Well, for NM shoppers that's certainly a good hook to use and is indicative of their target audience and niche.

Next time you're in NM, wander towards the Chanel boutique and give their goods a whiff. Hit the Exlcusifs (Sycomore, Coromandel), and the men's (tucked back and to the left). Chanels tend to be a relative bargain relative to their quality, particularly the masculines.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

I think the argument "Most Expensive" is ridiculous. I would much rather say "best ingredients", "best noses", "best formulas". Most expensive doesn't strike me as a good characteristic, but maybe that's just me.. (I definitely see that they take a niche inside the niche perfumery that way though and that they seem to be at least somewhat successful with it)

I didn't find my Amouage - Gold Man this morning, so I opted for Violet Blonde. In the evening, I searched for Gold Man again and looked in the same bag where I searched earlier today. Then I noticed that I've been looking in the Tom Ford bag all along, d'oh...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Tried out the new line of Kiehl's fragrances today. Vanilla/Sandalwood. 8 hours later and its still going strong. I can't decide if this smells more like suntan lotion or vanilla body butter. Its kind of sickeningly enjoyable. Got the sage/somethingorother to try out tomorrow.

4. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Hermes Rocabar today

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

Amouage - Honour Man and AbdesSalam Attar - Sharif for the evening.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today, YSL Live Jazz. Today it wears a little A&F-like but I'll live, I guess.

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Fierce? Actually the first cologne I've bought.. :embar:
    I used like 10 mls and sold it after 3 years for 80% of the MSRP. :laugh:

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Parfums DelRae Eau Illuminee.

9. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

Mid-90s original Issy Miyake. A couple of months ago, I found in my store cupboard bottles of following fragrances that I bought in the mid-90s still 1/2 2/3rds full:
    • Issey Miyake (light floral / vanilla - very delicate, with a citrus smell that isn't cloying)
    • Obsession - Calvin Klein (described as the 'Men's Oriental' - I normally like my fragrances how I like my women i.e. Oriental. A little too heavy for me. The equivalent of Cabernet Sauvignon)
    • Safari - Ralph Lauren (very obvious once you smell the top notes - lemon, lavender but especially the amber - as it is very spicy and initially over-powering, but once it settles, the base notes of cinammon and sandle-wood became much more harmonious)

For day-time use, Issey Miyake. Although I did wear it clubbing back in the late 90s and was complimented by a girl who recognised it. The fragrance that produced the best reaction and I tend to wear in the evenings is Safari. Two female friends of mine (one whom I have kissed, and the other I was involved with a long time ago, in a fashion - but I haven't spoken to her in over 11 years) both independently stated Safari made them feel like rolling on the floor and playing with themselves.

Both Issey Miyake and Safari 1/4 left. Obsession still 2/3rds left, if not 3/4ths.

I wouldn't have a clue about Men's fragrances now, although I'm curious enough to go into a department store at the weekend to get an idea of what is on the market now.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

Amouage's Ciel Man for me today.

11. DressedWell

DressedWell Active Member

I like Creed Aventus. It is overpriced but there is nothing like it.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Some - or perhaps most - of the current crop will likely disappoint. But I remember having a bottle of Safari and thought it was wonderful. RL has put out some great scents over the years.

Today - Aramis New West.

13. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Silver Mountain Water

14. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

Ah, that's a shame. Not that I'm in the market for a new fragrance, but you guys have piqued my interest with what you are wearing; hence, I'm interested in finding out what sort of smells you guys like. Perhaps I'll finally get round to reading Patrick Suskind's 'Perfume'.

I really should look to sell my bottle of Obsession (bought in summer 1997, if memory serves me correctly) either on BS or Ebay and/or see if I can trade for Issey Miyake.

I do recall another fragrance that I was wearing (strictly speaking, my house-mate's): Hugh Boss. It was a clear bottle with a green stopper. Another floral fragrance, but refreshing rather than cloying. I liked that a lot. FWIW, I hated CK1. Perhaps it's a Calvin Klein thang, as I really haven't used Obsession either.

Note: checking out Fragrantica and people who liked Hugo Boss, also liked Issey Miyake. I understand that the latter - like most - has been reformulated. Shame.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

FM - Musc Ravageur. Didn't wear it in weeks and I enjoyed it a lot today.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012