Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Thanks mang. Tonight will be better.

The thing about CC, and to a lesser extent Creed, Rance, et al, is that they market carefully according to their target audience. CC in particular markets their scents around the high prices - and is designed to attract the person for whom only the Most Expensive is good enough. Never mind that Chanel does far better at a far lower price point - for CC's target audience it's all about exclusivity.

Last time I wandered through NM, I saw the tiny CC counter and the rep there really didn't have any ammo to draw me in other than "World's Most Expensive...blah blah..." Well, for NM shoppers that's certainly a good hook to use and is indicative of their target audience and niche.

Next time you're in NM, wander towards the Chanel boutique and give their goods a whiff. Hit the Exlcusifs (Sycomore, Coromandel), and the men's (tucked back and to the left). Chanels tend to be a relative bargain relative to their quality, particularly the masculines.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

I think the argument "Most Expensive" is ridiculous. I would much rather say "best ingredients", "best noses", "best formulas". Most expensive doesn't strike me as a good characteristic, but maybe that's just me.. (I definitely see that they take a niche inside the niche perfumery that way though and that they seem to be at least somewhat successful with it)

I didn't find my Amouage - Gold Man this morning, so I opted for Violet Blonde. In the evening, I searched for Gold Man again and looked in the same bag where I searched earlier today. Then I noticed that I've been looking in the Tom Ford bag all along, d'oh...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Tried out the new line of Kiehl's fragrances today. Vanilla/Sandalwood. 8 hours later and its still going strong. I can't decide if this smells more like suntan lotion or vanilla body butter. Its kind of sickeningly enjoyable. Got the sage/somethingorother to try out tomorrow.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Amouage - Honour Man and AbdesSalam Attar - Sharif for the evening.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today, YSL Live Jazz. Today it wears a little A&F-like but I'll live, I guess.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Fierce? Actually the first cologne I've bought.. :embar:
    I used like 10 mls and sold it after 3 years for 80% of the MSRP. :laugh:

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Parfums DelRae Eau Illuminee.

8. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

Mid-90s original Issy Miyake. A couple of months ago, I found in my store cupboard bottles of following fragrances that I bought in the mid-90s still 1/2 2/3rds full:
    • Issey Miyake (light floral / vanilla - very delicate, with a citrus smell that isn't cloying)
    • Obsession - Calvin Klein (described as the 'Men's Oriental' - I normally like my fragrances how I like my women i.e. Oriental. A little too heavy for me. The equivalent of Cabernet Sauvignon)
    • Safari - Ralph Lauren (very obvious once you smell the top notes - lemon, lavender but especially the amber - as it is very spicy and initially over-powering, but once it settles, the base notes of cinammon and sandle-wood became much more harmonious)

For day-time use, Issey Miyake. Although I did wear it clubbing back in the late 90s and was complimented by a girl who recognised it. The fragrance that produced the best reaction and I tend to wear in the evenings is Safari. Two female friends of mine (one whom I have kissed, and the other I was involved with a long time ago, in a fashion - but I haven't spoken to her in over 11 years) both independently stated Safari made them feel like rolling on the floor and playing with themselves.

Both Issey Miyake and Safari 1/4 left. Obsession still 2/3rds left, if not 3/4ths.

I wouldn't have a clue about Men's fragrances now, although I'm curious enough to go into a department store at the weekend to get an idea of what is on the market now.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Amouage's Ciel Man for me today.

10. DressedWell

DressedWell Active Member

I like Creed Aventus. It is overpriced but there is nothing like it.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Some - or perhaps most - of the current crop will likely disappoint. But I remember having a bottle of Safari and thought it was wonderful. RL has put out some great scents over the years.

Today - Aramis New West.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Silver Mountain Water

13. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

Ah, that's a shame. Not that I'm in the market for a new fragrance, but you guys have piqued my interest with what you are wearing; hence, I'm interested in finding out what sort of smells you guys like. Perhaps I'll finally get round to reading Patrick Suskind's 'Perfume'.

I really should look to sell my bottle of Obsession (bought in summer 1997, if memory serves me correctly) either on BS or Ebay and/or see if I can trade for Issey Miyake.

I do recall another fragrance that I was wearing (strictly speaking, my house-mate's): Hugh Boss. It was a clear bottle with a green stopper. Another floral fragrance, but refreshing rather than cloying. I liked that a lot. FWIW, I hated CK1. Perhaps it's a Calvin Klein thang, as I really haven't used Obsession either.

Note: checking out Fragrantica and people who liked Hugo Boss, also liked Issey Miyake. I understand that the latter - like most - has been reformulated. Shame.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  14. b1os

b1os Senior member

FM - Musc Ravageur. Didn't wear it in weeks and I enjoyed it a lot today.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012