Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I'll agree with all except the Guerlain. It's fine and all, but yes, fleeting, and yes, a classic cologne. There are many like it on the market. If you're on the market for a classic EdC, try PdN Cologne Sologne. Diorella or Eau sauvage might also be decent choices. i could see a fan of YSL Live Jazz or Jazz being a fan of these as well. The original Azzaro, too, as a classic fougere.

Other "conservative" scents:

Classic: Chanel PM
    Tiffany for men, Bois du portugal, Equipage, JHL, SMN Colonia russa, CdG cologne series (especially vetiveru and citrico). There are tons more, but these are just a few.

Sitting around the house this evening with a decent Malbec... so will spritz on Moustache de Rochas. NOT one for the faint of heart... a Roudnitska masterpiece with lime, hay, and horse piss.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I had three different responses at the ready for this but none of them really felt compelling enough to post, until I finally had an epiphany. Over the years, I've been a member of a number of scent boards and groups, and not one of these groups has ever had anything nice to say about any Clive Christian. Not one. No one wears anything of his, they're frequently ignored by the reviewers and bloggers (Although, Nathan Branch had some kind words for No.1), which leads me to believe that CC just isn't taken seriously by people who are serious about scents.

If you think this is just because the price is too high, these groups have very kind words for Xerjoff and Amouage - particularly the attars, which are considerably more expensive than the CC. (12 ml - $355). And, I've seen them run even more expensive, I think their oud attar was marked 1200 euro for 12ml. Granted, it's a perfume oil, but still.

I'd take the $500 and head to Kuhl-Linscomb and grab SL Chergui and find two more you like and run with that.

Anyway, today I had another awful epiphany: I have only about 60% left of my first Antaeus bottle. But I loves it so I sprayed it on today, no regrets!

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

That's a really interesting point. I hadn't noticed that, but it's definitely true.

Safran Troublant for me today.

4. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

And, another thing that caught my attention when I thought about it re: Clive Christian. Pretty much any house you can think of has its raving fans. ELdO, Mona, Amouage, Nasomatto, Lush, etc. Some of these houses have been controversial, and savaged on-line or in print. Luca savaged Mona a while back in his guide, and it was probably a huge boost for her as the blogosphere came to her defense. Luca briefly ridicules CC No.1 for being "most expensive" and gives us a quick lesson on perfume costs - and we hear...crickets. I mean, no one cares enough to step up and challenge Luca, which for a time was a big pastime for some with a lot of time on their hands. There was a ton of jealousy and back-chat aimed at him but not on old Clive's behalf. Hell, Crown Perfumery (the precursor of Clive Christian) was likewise given a rousing mneh before that.

/soapbox.

6. L'Incandescent

^^ Again, that's a great observation!

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Day: D.R. Harris - Arlington. Great straightforward cologne.
    Night: Caron - Tabac Blond éxtrait. Great stuff.

T, do you have a link for the blog post of Turin about CC's No. 1? I googled a little but didn't find much.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

8. L'Incandescent

T is referring to Turin's review in Perfumes: The Guide.

9. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

dang T, your responses to my questions make me feel dumb. Thanks for ruining my day :(

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

^T knows his stink, no doubt about it.

I'll spritz one in his honor with some (vintage) Antaeus. Yum.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

That wasn't my intention at all. CC is so badly ignored that a quick google search wouldn't yield much in terms of discerning reviews.

Even leaving that aside, do you really think it's worth it to spend $500 for 50ml to smell 'nice' or 'okay'? I will say, just for perspective, that I am price-conscious and somewhat budget-minded w/r/t scents. I like smelling great and appreciate the artistry in composing scents - and even value them as an art form - but I still hold them to fiscal constraints.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

So, since it's 3:30 and the baby won't sleep...

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Thank you, T. I think I'll go with Amouage Gold Man today. ;)

14. L'Incandescent

Jasmin et Cigarette for a long travel day.

15. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I know T I was just playing, that was my way of complimenting you. :)

No I do not think it's worth $500, I would not buy it. I was curious to see if anyone on the forum had it or was a supporter of the fragrance.

I think it's sad that very few sales reps actually care about what they are selling and are focused only on selling.

Sorry to hear that your baby didn't go to sleep t, hopefully tonight is better.