• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Some enterprising playwright should produce a variation on Chekhov's Three Sisters, where the three sisters are Givenchy III, Y, and Miss Dior. Bandit could play the Natasha character, maybe, and Coty Chypre could be Anfisa. It would be a great success.

:lol: Dunno about that, but I CAN say for sure who'd get the starring role in La Putain Respecteuse...

Eau de Rochas for a very hot day today (95 and humid). This one isn't the best choice, but I want to finish up this bottle as well and I can apply it quite liberally with little to do impending disaster. Couldn't say the same for my Samsara stink-out the other day. Other sweat-ers on the subway were NOT amused.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So....just whelmed then. Not really under or over?

Yeah, that's about it. It's pleasant, and I don't dislike it, but I'm not really excited about it either.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I actually just took my sample of Adp - Colonia Assoluta with me and reapplied every couple hours. I don't love the scent but like it quite a bit.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday was Mugler Pure Havane, a scent I love very much - to the point where I opined elsewhere that PH kicks TF Tobacco Vanille to the curb. And, I very much enjoy TV, so that's a bold statement to make.

Today I'm wearing Tobacco Vanille: there's a fair amount of overlap but there's a really strong patchouli that rings out in the Havane that grabs my attention and affection. TV is definitely a keeper, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the Havane.

Which, BTW, is available again on the Mugler website. And it's Reasonable, too!

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been trying the more recent ELDOs. They've really been knocking it out of the park lately.

Today it's Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes. This is stunningly beautiful. It opens up quite sweet, with notes of steamed rice and lime. I'm a big fan of lime notes, and this one is excellently rendered. As it gets into the heart, the coconut note steps up. It's not an overpowering, suntan-lotion coconut at all; it is very light and airy somehow. The base is musky sweet, with tonka and amber. I'd prefer a bit more projection, but I think I might be able to get that with a more liberal application.

I've got to say, though, that I was very disappointed with Malaise of the 1970s. This seems like ELDO's obligatory entry into the fresh scent genre. The top actually reminds me quite a bit of Z Zegna with sharp citrus and black pepper. On the positive side, at least I know I'm not affected too much by the marketing. (I was keen to try this just because I loved the name so much. I didn't have much interest at all when it was called Sex Pistols.)

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Satori Iris Homme

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
French Lover by Frédéric Malle today. Like it a lot, unfortunately (today at least) it toned down quite a bit after 1-2 hours. But I can still smell it on my wrist after 12 hours, lots of sweat and a shower.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
D'orsay Tilleuil today. Wonderful juice for the weather.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tonight: vintage Chanel Cuir de Russie eau de cologne. My wife just left for a trip and I had to decant some out of the splash bottle and spread it all over myself. :slayer:

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Tonight: vintage Chanel Cuir de Russie eau de cologne. My wife just left for a trip and I had to decant some out of the splash bottle and spread it all over myself. :slayer:

This post is Prof Fab approved. :)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today because it's extremely foggy this morning and I'm a little cold: Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (EdT). Projection mediocre, longevity quite good.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today because it's extremely foggy this morning and I'm a little cold: Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree

I like this but I've not tried the original formulation, which apparently is still sold in Europe and seems to be preferred by many people. I've never purchased a fragrance from ebay before but considering doing so on this one. Anyone care to recommend a reliable ebay vendor?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads