1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Barroomheroes

Barroomheroes Well-Known Member

Jo malone Oude and Bergamont today...

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Whoa! Thanks!!! So far I really liked GIT and Aventus, but BdP was a little too floral-ly I think. I didn't care for the Millesime Imperial either, but my wife actually liked it for her. Himalaya seemed kind of clean but wimpy, there just didn't seem to be a lot there. I'll order the Noir de Noir and give it a try next order. The TF Tobacco Vanille was nice but the vanilla seemed a little too sweet or something after a little while. My fragrance vocabulary is still pretty limited. :) The TF Extreme was probably my fave of the TF but my wife (whose nose works much, much better than mine) thought there was too much going on or something. I forget exactly how she described it. The Italian Cypress was really nice but seemed like god-awful expensive way to get citrus in there.

I don't know what I meant to get with the Mugler A*Men! Just saw it recommended a few times. Maybe that's the wrong one. Egoiste was interesting although my wife thought it was a little bit of a generic masculine scent. She's probably smelled others wearing it. I'm curious about the Bois del Iles and Sycomore you mentioned, I'll add them to my next order.

We both liked the Ormande Jayne Ormande Man. I'm curious what others here think of that one. The Knize Ten was the most different of all of those I ordered I think. My wife hated it. I realized after sampling the Dior Fahrenheit that I used to know a few guys that must have just dumped it on, so I have some negative associations with that one.

I'll look into Serge Lutens and Frederic Malle too. I've seen them mentioned a bit, I just had to draw the line somewhere with my first order. Thanks again!

3. Kilofighter

Kilofighter Member

Hot, muggy day, so wore Hermes - Un Jardin en Mediterranee.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Great post, L'Inc. I agree, Diptyque, L'Artisan, Serge Lutens and Frederic Malle are definitely worth checking out. I'd also throw Amouage in there, of course. The Guerlain classics are also must-tries. Off the top of my had, I'd also say you have to add YSL - Rive Gauche (and RG pour femme) for your next order. Chanel - Antaeus too. Chanel - Cuir de Russie too (their EdC is also quite good). Since it's summer, I'd also throw Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta, Colonia Intensa and maybe Colina Intensa Oud too in there. Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès is also very good. D.R. Harris's Arlington is a cheap and good cologne. Patricia de Nicolai - New York is also a must try.

Generally, Fred, I'd suggest that you just wear a fragrance a day at first and get to know them one by one. (I assume that you've applied dabs here and there, or even dabbed on sample papers since you talk of coffe beans to neutralize?) Also, for the next order, I'd go with atomizer-samples. I dislike dab-on-samples, but maybe that's just me. Plus, atomizer-samples are at least 2ml, which will last you many applications (though some people on Basenotes seem to go through 2ml in less than a handful of wearings, I'd guess it's much rather close to 10 or 15 wearings for me), so you can get to know the scent better. Also, Surrender to Chance usually has better prices, at least most of the times I've compared them.

SotD: L'Artisan Parfumeur - Thé pour un Été.

I think I'll order a few samples tomorrow too. Some for my mother, and some for me. Definitely have to try POAL and maybe some more ELDO-fragrances.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  5. Maquis

Maquis Senior member

Nice overview L'Inc—

Today: Derby (my wife got me a fb as gift, so I'll be wearing this quite a bit...)

6. Fred G. Unn

Thanks b1os! Yeah, I tried them on paper first, now I'm trying wearing them, a different one every day. I mostly went with 1ml dab on samples because I didn't know what I was doing and 1ml seemed like a decent enough size to decide if something was worth a purchase. Thanks for those others you mentioned as well. I'll look into Surrender to Chance and compare prices, thanks!

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I agree with everything b1os said. There's so much great stuff out there to try that I inevitably left some out, but his suggestions about Amouage and Guerlain are definitely on target. I'll also add a plug for Rive Gauche (the feminine), even though you're more likely to want to try Rive Gauche pour Homme. (Simplifying quite a bit: RG pour Homme smells like shaving cream. the feminine smells like shimmering rose.)

Also, I typically buy 1ml samples, but that's because I buy a lot and it would get expensive very quickly if I always doubled the amount. That said, spraying fragrance on is better than dabbing it on.

And finally, I agree completely with b1os that you should take some time to get used to a fragrance. There are some fragrances I didn't like a whole lot at first, but I grew to love them over time. They're not all love at first smell.

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

That list of samples is pretty good to get started with, and I agree with all the comments above.

I go for 5ml spray samples myself, as I find the 1ml bottles fiddly and annoying. I also think spraying is a better way of applying instead of dabbing.

Today I'm wearing a blind buy hot off the presses - Bentley for Men. The limited reviews I've seen have it down as a monster, which might be overstating it a bit. A nice peppery opening and there is now cedar and musk coming through. Classy bottle too; I'm very pleased.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  9. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

SOTD: Marwah by Al Haramain.

This is a blind buy that worked out really well. Concentrated Arabian perfume oil in a beautiful bottle. Rose oud combo scent is great, with more rose than oud. Good lasting power, low to moderate sillage, but low complexity linear scent. As a comparison, Oud Ispahan and MFK Silk Oud are more complex than this.

To my nose, more suitable for the ladies, but can be worn by men.

10. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

To Fred G. Unn, my suggestion is to give some of these fragrances a second chance. If you do not like it on the first pass, just put it aside and come back to it later. You might change your mind.

For example, my wife and I both disliked APOM and Cologne Pour Le Soir during the first try (it was warm weather then). 2 months later when the weather has turned cold, we tried them again and absolutely love them.

To your growing list of suggested tries, I will add Acqua di Parma's Fico di Amalfi (citrus and fig) and Diptyque's Phylosokos (green fig).

I also have in mind several legendary commercial classics as follows:

Gucci Envy
    Dior Poison
    Cacharel Anais Anais
    Lancome Tresor
    Estee Lauder White Linen

11. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower:Anais Anais. I had a gf (girlfriend) in the mid 1990s who wore this. It still brings back memories, even though I've worn it many times since then.
    SOTD: Dries van Noten. The fragrance community has collectively said "meh" to this one, but I think it's wonderful.

12. Fred G. Unn

Thanks! I'll give 'em another shot. I'll check out those that you recommended too.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Miller Harris - Fleurs de Sel

14. Fred G. Unn

Tom Ford Extreme today

15. Maquis

Maquis Senior member

Easily suggestible, I wore Rive Gauche Pour Homme today.

I got a whiff of the new Aedes de Venustas Iris Nazarena tonight. Big ol' carroty iris right off the top (think a slightly toned town and mostly natural Iris Silver Mist) and then some light incense. The iris and incense seemed to go away fairly quickly (2 hrs?) and now I get a kind of synthetic floral on my skin (against all the listed notes). I sprayed a bazillion other fragrances tonight, so I'm thinking I might just be smelling some overspray from another one.

For some reason I thought this new fragrance was going to skew more feminine, but was surprised that it was pretty dark. This dry-down, though leaves me scratching my head a bit. (I get weird notes on the back of my hand sometimes, so I don't totally trust the drydown...)

The opening was gorgeous, however, so I'll have to check it out again with a full wearing.

16. Fred G. Unn

17. b1os

b1os Senior member

Colonia Intensa

18. TJMAC

TJMAC Well-Known Member

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

19. L'Incandescent

Two TF Private Blends in a row: it's Lys Fume for me today.

20. TJMAC

TJMAC Well-Known Member

Looking forward to sampling it soon.