1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. green bastard

green bastard Senior Member

Thanks guys, I'll go with Dzing! I know they are nothing alike, but those are the two i liked best.

Serge Lutens: Gris Clair

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

In extreme humidity and a summer climate, I mentioned Jicky being a good choice. Surprised that I didn't remember to pull out Ungaro II. SO, will remedy that by wearing it today.

The comparisons with Jicky are apt, but interestingly, my appreciation of U II took as much time as did Jicky. I got the Ungaro long after I had (and loved) Jicky, so one would think that I would have loved U II immediately. Not the case. I LIKED it, but didn't love it, though though many wearings I've come to appreciate it more and more in its own right. I see why it is out of production and why a house in as dire straights as Ungaro wouldn't re-release it, but it's a shame. I'd love to have easy access to it for a "go to" summer scent that is unique, sexy, and fresh without being too boring.

I think somebody like Tom Ford could do a nice "take" on the U II vibe... masculine, sexy, luxurious... somebody should send him a bottle.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

3. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

Lavender Palm for me today.

5. tps16

tps16 Senior Member

Yesterday, Heritage
    Today, Habit Rouge

6. Baron

Baron Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

On a whim, I applied Vintage Tabarome from a very old decant this afternoon. I realized as I sprayed it that the bottle was nearly empty. I never wear this and probably haven't sniffed it on over a year, but wow, it's just the strangest fragrance. It's supposedly a 19th c. formula, but it's as bold and unconventional as any new niche scent. It has an ambergris note that feels more powerful than the one I get from my Madini straight ambergris. And it's so dense - it always makes me think of cigars but it's really just the intensity of heavy sweet powder. It approximates the experience of being caught in tight quarters with a smoker. It's both good and bad in that way, it really depends on your attitude about it, I suppose. It's like the first time you drink scotch straight - you can tell there's something good there, but it's 99% disgusting. And then, soon enough, the disgust recedes and it's just delicious. That journey of the acquired taste is one of the true joys of perfume, and this is a terrific scent for that experience.

7. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

Have they reformulated Eau Savage recently? Because I've tried it twice now in the past few weeks and its weak as shit. I'm only getting a few hours, tops. It used to be an all day scent.

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

That really sounds fascinating! I've never tried the vintage Tabarome, but I know lots of people on BN rave about it. I strongly dislike the current Tabarome, but what you describe doesn't sound like that at all.

@Rambo: I don't think I've ever gotten more than a few hours out of Eau Sauvage. But my skin is pretty bad for longevity.

9. b1os

Don't get much longevity from Eau Sauvage either. But I probably have the newer version, in case there is one.

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Creed Acqua Fiorentina for going out tonight. Like so many Creed, a safe, pleasant, shockingly expensive and dull aquatic fruity floral. It's nice, but $260 for nice hardly sounds all that exciting. Basically, it reminds me of something you'd get from Bath and Body Works, only with slightly better ingredients. Luckily Creed still uses wonderful spray mechanisms... they have the nicest "pshing" and apply quite smoothly (I've not had a Creed since finishing up, trading off, or ebaying my stock 5-6 years ago; bnoters in the know remember Creedirect, the former creed distributer in NYC that got rid of its entire stock in the early/mid 2000s for next to nothing; many of us ended up with 15-20 different creeds for a song).

Why, then, do I have this one? Well, girls, you'll be jealous again (maybe), but I got a 30ml bottle, with cap, for the shocking sum of $1. Yep, a whole buck (okay, about 100 yen). My secret supplier comes through yet again, though honestly were this anything more than $1, and were the weather here in japan anything less than extremely hot and humid... I'd probably have passed. In this heat/humidity, a sweet fruity floral acquatic is about all one can manage. I nearly killed an old woman with my Ungaro II this morning (poor thing).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

11. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

That's a great review.

12. b1os

Guerlain - Cologne du 68. 30 minutes in or so it gets a L'Instant pour Homme vibe. Quite similar.

13. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

Glad you like it. It didn't work as well for me. You can have my decant if you like.

I haven't and won't, but I've read SRS raves for L'Heure Fougeuse.

Vastly different, each is wonderful. Mechant Loup, though, requires that you don't mind smelling of Anise cookies.

Awesome perspective.

This weekend my sniffer's been sideways for a few reasons, but I still have this vat of Sandalwood cologne (don't get excited, it's not ALL THAT) and decided I'd rather spray than splash so I decanted some into an old atomizer that once held Antaeus but dried out. I figured there wasn't enough Antaeus left in there to upset the new stuff, but I could not have been more wrong. Now that I've had a couple of days, it's 80% Antaeus (which is to say sage/beeswax) and 20% BB Sandalwood. I'm not complaining, though.

14. b1os

So, AdP came out with a v2 of Colonia Intensia. And what did they pair it with? Oud (some may say "Of course...", but oud paired with a classic Italian cologne is not the first thing I’d think of). Could be very interesting. What do you think? Anyone already tried it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

15. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur