1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

What's the deal with this line? Do you just have samples?

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Question from a novice: What's the quickest and most efficient way to go about familiarizing one's self with singular scents, so that I have a frame of reference to help find blends of scents that feature notes I like? Just as an example, if I like a cologne and attribute my taste for it to vanilla/tobacco/peach/etc. notes, I want to make sure I'm not actually ignoring some other note that I simply don't distinguish or recognize. So if I simply don't even know what sandalwood/vetiver/verbana/benzoin smell like, how do I go about familiarizing myself with them in a more pure context to build that familiarity? Is there any sort of map that groups individual notes into families that are slightly more descriptive than "floral" or "citrus" and such? I'm sure my terminology is awful, but I suspect you get the picture. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

There's http://www.fragrantica.com/ which has a wiki-database of notes per each fragrance/cologne. While not perfect, it's the most accessible way of familiarizing yourself with fragrances that are deemed by other enthusiasts to be similar to ones you already like. Then you must practice and smell lots and lots and lots of fragrances. Do you think you have a good scent memory?

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Jul et Mad is a French company started in 2012 by two people whose first names are Julien and Madalina. (I don't know their last names.) They are a couple, and the three fragrances they put on the market are supposed to represent the stages of their falling in love. I'm a sucker for good stories that go along with perfumes, but I actually tried them before I knew what the story was supposed to be. Both of the ones I've tried--Stilettos on Lex and Terrasse a St. Germain--made an immediate impression on me. They're both stunning. (Also, for those who are so inclined, Julien is quite an attractive guy.)

I got the two fragrances as part of a 50-sample grab bag I ordered from STC; I had no idea they'd be included, but I'm certainly glad they were.

6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

SOTD is Coup de Coeur by L'Antichambre. Very mild tobacco scent, with extermely moderate longevity. Annoying, because I needed one that lasts all night today.

7. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Luxor Oud. I've enjoyed this one more and more every time I've worn it. At first I thought it was a generic fruity floral, but I've been picking up much more of the nuance lately.

SOTD: Chanel No. 22

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today - custom fragrance by Yosh.

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Last few days, in no particular order:

TF - Tobacco Vanille
    Keiko Mecheri - Attar de Roses
    Hermès - Un Jardin sur le Nil (also my favorite of the series)
    AdP - Colonia Assoluta
    MMM - untitled [02]

10. California Dreamer

L'Antichambre Le Chocolat Ambre. I guess if I can't eat chocolate, smelling it on my wrist is the next best thing. Powerful stuff this, and pretty good longevity too.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: En Voyage Go Ask Alice.

12. L'Incandescent

How do you like it? Is it a patchouli scent?

I'm wearing Rose Etoile de Hollande by Mona di Orio today.

13. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

It's OK - a little too much patchouli though, which sounds stupid but I would suspect that Coromandel has just as much but the rough edges are spackled out. It has a honeyed quality that I like, though.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  14. California Dreamer

SOTD is L'Antichambre Le Sourire de Diable

15. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

O'Driu Lalfeogrigio.

Complex, constantly evolving, longevity with just a dab from sample. At Euro888 unlikely to be FBW.

p/s heard rumours of O'Driu advocating mixing of urine into one of their fragrances. With this information at the back of my mind, I am trying hard to ignore the yellow color of all their samples.

16. California Dreamer

Looks likes your sample pack has arrived. Looking forward to mine soon.

17. L'Incandescent

Portrait of a Lady is the name of the scent I am wearing today.

18. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

Tried MFK Oud today. I got a lot of saffron up front and really not much oud, even after dry down. I thought I was going to like this more.

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This morning: Satori Murasaki no Ue, which is a lovely rose, jasmine, and violet floral made with a very light touch for the Japanese market. It only lasted for about four hours so I then put on Heely Cuir Pleine Fleur, which will certainly last longer.

20. California Dreamer

Today is aother L'Antichambre sample: L'Ambre Cachee. A very mild oud scent. As with all this line that I've tried, projection and longevity are just OK.