Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Homme

Homme Senior member

Tried Tea for Two today. Found it to be super quiet, an hour in it wasn't noticeable at all unless I brought my wrist right up to my nose. Shame, nice scent.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

My today's scent is Cartier. Must de Cartier. Éxtrait de Must de Cartier.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

That and the Terre d'Hermes parfum. Don't understand that rationale there, either. What's next, 4711 extrait?

Today, um, Kouros Sport Cologne. Fresh Urinal Lite, and different from the 54215345 other Kouros flankers. How it differs I have no idea.

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

SOTD:

Not sure. All of my decants have lost their labels in the process of our family's move. Whatever it was, I applied too much... ack -

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

:)

Black Violet for me today. Not Black Orchid. Not Violet Blonde. Black Violet it is.

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I love that I stumbled upon Must de Cartier and then realize that so many of you guys with excellent taste like it and own it. It makes me feel like I almost have taste!

Today: Mona di Orio Amyitis - definitely not a crowd pleaser.

7. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I had Diorella parfum, which makes sense to me, even though it is obviously a stylistic cousin/family member to Eau Sauvage. Nevertheless, I still don't get the "parfum" of an Eau Sauvage. What would play center role and how would it maintain its sense of light, crisp freshness? Diorella in the lighter concentrations played up its stinky citrus, but in the parfum played up a deeper base with a really wonderful foul fruit note. So, it worked in the same way that Mitsouko EdT is quite light and a fresh fruity chypre... while as it goes up the chain gets darker and woodier.

Sauvage would play up... what? The pissy hay note? (haha)

It is beyond me that they'd discontinue or screw around with their classics (Diorella, Diorama, Miss Dior) and instead of just releasing them as is, or bringing back the extraits of them, they have to release a whole new one.

YSL RG parfum for me today.

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

My guess is that they're just taking advantage of the name recognition. I don't think it even tries to retain the crisp freshness of the edt.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This is an interesting discussion on perfumes for such fragrances. I'm thinking about the creation of the perfume for Voyage d'Hermes that I was hell-bent on acquiring. I don't regret getting at all but I find Voyage to be very light and fresh but has these coconut and incense aspects that can be dialed up in a perfume.

In the end, though, I must say that I feel that it is at heart a marketing decision and not a "further study" by the perfumer as a motive.

10. rach2jlc

Reminds me of jeans back in the 1990's... Diesel or Helmut Lang at $125 was considered a fortune. Now you can't spit without hitting a pair of $350 jeans.

Same with all the "premium" fragrance lines. A $200-300 bottle of parfum (or its equivalent sum in 1970's/80's dollars) was the pinnacle... and only Creed asked ridiculous sums for its Edts and millesimes.

Other than its perfumes, Dior and the "big" names didn't really have a "premium" line, and so now they've got one. Not only is it $$$, it's DIOR! Double the bling. ;)

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

MdC, I liked it quite a bit, especially the drydown.

SotN: Mochoir de Monsieur. Vomit in the opening. Toned down after 20 minutes. Enjoyable after.

12. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Interesting discussion about Eau Sauvage. I agree that it seems strange to bring that out as a parfum. I wonder if it's a completely unrelated composition, and they are just trying to cash in on the name?
    Today, Antaeus

13. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Profumum- Fiore D'Ambra

14. rach2jlc

Good question and one I'm curious about myself.

Anyway, tonight I will protest by wearing (vintage) Sauvage as Roudnitska intended it to be. Feral, pissy, and brief.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today, reminded that I had this and it is great: Etro Shaal Nur - vanilla incense vetiver.