Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Speaking of melon notes, though, I figured out what it is I'm getting in Ocean Rain: it's like a very ripe cantaloupe.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

That's Roudi for you. He loves stinky melon... it's prominent in so much of his work, from Therese to Diorella to Dior Dior to Eau Fraiche. Looking forward to sniffing my bottle when I'm back in the States later this fall. :)

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Weird. It really smelled like the taste (and smell) of cheap artificial melon flavoring. Like watermelon/melon bubble gum. Not really pleasant.

I'll give it another try sometime.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

4. rach2jlc

Definitely try it again. It's possible your bottle and/or sample went bad. I've heard many glowing and negative reviews of it, but not any that fell into that realm.

5. L'Incandescent

FWIW, my sense of Black Orchid is very similar to rach's: very indolic and wet. I often describe it as jammy.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

So, apparently many people get an aquatic cucumber-melon note in the beginning. I've just applied some new and I see that. I also get something like pineapple. It's definitely indolic. There's also something else (not pleasant) I can't pin. Jammy I can see, too. But overall it smells artificial so I don't really like it, but Rach is probably right and I'll just try it when I'm near the TF counter. Especially because I at least liked every other of TF's scent I've tried so far.

7. L'Incandescent

Yeah, now I remember having read that. I just sprayed a little from my bottle onto my arm. I think I can smell what people are calling aquatic, but I don't pick up any cucumber or melon at all. My guess is that it's a very dense fragrance, and different noses just pick out different elements of that.

I know it's happened in the past that I'd always smelled a fragrance one way, and then all of a sudden I have a Gestalt shift and it seems completely different. Le Feu d'Issey is probably my clearest example of that. I pick up a note that had been way in the background, and everything is different.

8. rach2jlc

I guess it is also useful to mention that my bottle was from the very early batch when it first came out . Sadly, they screw with the juice all the time and cut corners to save costs, especially if a particular note or essence was hard to come by (whether synthetically or naturally). So, it's entirely possible that what L'inc and I missed at the time may just have been a different batch of the juice.

The thing about developing your "nose" is that it's a double edged sword; like wine people who can taste the difference in the same grape from a different zipcode... we can start to sniff differences in batches.

In college I survived writing papers on Diet Pepsi and Mountain Dew and toward the end I got to where I could "date" a bottle's 'best drank by' date within a week of accuracy. Some people drink a Margaux... this Kentuckian drank Pepsi. I also once won a Japanese Sake tasting competition (matching blind labels to a company's various brands) based purely on the differences in smell.

It's a scary habit to sniff perfumes, and unfortunately you can't go back once you start. :lol:

9. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

LOL

Today - CDG Original

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

10. rach2jlc

I always thought a great name for a band would be "Boston Molasses Disaster." :)

Going out tonight, but can't say I'm switching scents... because this damn Dune extrait is still roaring strong on my skin. It's like a flesh eating bacteria of scent. Luckily, it's absolutely gorgeous... thanks God. If it were bad, I'd have to chew off my own arm to get rid of it.

11. Homme

Homme Senior member

Gorgeous sunny today in Sydney today, Philosykos. Love figs, love fig trees, could wear this every warm day of the year.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

God you are a dirty gaijin! Please tell me you'll shower but will put a bag around your arm or something.

13. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

Aventus for the past week since getting a new decant, I need more summer scents to rotate with.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Grossmith London - Hasu-no-Hana for daytime wear.
    Xerjoff Oud Stars - Zafar for evening wear.

H-n-H is pretty good. Zafar great! Just have to close your eyes when you look at the price tag.

15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Herrera for Men