Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Ocean Rain by Mario Valentino today. This, as has been mentioned here a hundred times lately, is Edmond Roudnitska's last scent. In a lot of ways, this really is a scent of its time--1990--, but in other ways it's very much a classic Roudnitska. The analogy I'm coming up with is the Kinks records from the early '80s, such as State of Confusion: that early '80s sound is clearly not their natural idiom, and yet its unmistakably the Kinks, and it is good. What makes this a scent of its time is the aquatic notes, which are quite prominent from the get-go. The very top reminds me of Le Feu d'Issey, not because they smell similar--they don't at all--but because both open with a thousand notes whirling past at a mile a minute. There's a strong animalic/leather vibe at the top that reminds me--forgive the sacrilege!--of KISS Him. But there's also a prominent aquatic note, a bunch of very sharp, herbal green notes, and something that reminds me of melon, although there's nothing like that listed in the notes. As it dries down, the sharp green notes take center stage, and the scent starts to feel like a modern fougere. In the later stages it gets mossier, but amber and leather notes are there too.

I'll be very curious to hear what rach thinks once he tries it, as he's a bigger fan of Roudnitska's work than I am.

EDIT: Very odd, sometimes when I smell it out of the bottle, I get lots of rose. Other times, I get lots of leather and animalic notes.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Fascinating description.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I had to bust this out for today as well.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Funny, I'm wearing TdH as well.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Do you like it any better?

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Not really. I've decided that I have to be in a certain mood for it. I've heard others tell me that it's so full and rich but all I get is a dry flinty orange with a smattering of herbs. Not my normal metier, but sometimes it is what I want that day.

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

And on those days it's important to have such a smell available. Yesterday I wore Harissa which is one of those "have to be in a mood for it" scents but thank God I have it or else I'd have to wear, you know, one of the other hundred scents I've got that just wouldn't match. :rolleyes:

8. L'Incandescent

Somehow I missed this earlier, but there's also a rose note in Ocean Rain. I started to notice it a few hours into the drydown. Goodness, what's not in here?

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Today and tonight: Eau Sauvage.

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

TF Violet Blonde.

Some violent bondage all up in hurr.

11. L'Incandescent

:happy:

I'm going to be wearing that at the opera tonight.

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

What are your thoughts on Black Orchid, L'Incandescent? It was next to the VB bottle and my wife said she really thought it nice.

"Sensual" was the exact word. :embar:

13. L'Incandescent

Black Orchid is a sentimental favorite of mine because my twin brother bought it for me as a birthday present just as I was starting my career in academia.

I think "sensual" is a great word to describe it. I like it a lot, but I find it unwearable in warmer weather. It's very dense and syrupy, and a little definitely goes a long way. There are endless debates on Basenotes about whether men can wear this or not. My sense is that it leans feminine, but it's perfectly wearable by men. (If you're wearing VB, you can definitely wear BO!)
    Of the TF Signature Series fragrances, I like Violet Blonde the best, and probably White Patchouli second best. Black Orchid and TF Extreme are probably tied for third. (Grey Vetiver comes in last, but that's largely because I don't like fragrances in which vetiver is front and center.)

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

I think I'll try BO tomorrow. What's the general outline -- day or evening? Cold or warm weather//sunny or overcast?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  15. L'Incandescent

I'd say definitely cool and more of an evening than a daytime scent.