Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Petroleum is one of the weirder, more interesting scents I have ever encountered. I can't tell if I like it or not as it is completely and utterly foreign. I would be curious to hear what others think of it.
    Here is a review from basenotes (it left out "profoundly weird"):

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

^^ That sounds very interesting. I have to say, though, that I have a hard time coming up with an olfactory image based on the description. It seems quite different from anything I've experienced.

TF Santal Blush for me today.

3. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like gasoline notes - the one in Nostalgia is very true, but it still manages to be very wearable and "pleasant." That reminds me that I need to get some Nostalgia - it's been months since I ran out.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

SotD: Amouage - Hommage Attar. Great stuff! Opens with a slight rose note, then zesty citrus becomes more prominent. 30 minutes in or so, frankincense and oud kick in. Shortly after, rose comes into play. There's also some jasmine in the background and amber. Longevity is decent. Much projection in the first hour, a little more silent in the drydown. Potent stuff overall, you literally just need dabs.

SotN: Vol de Nuit vintage parfum. Great, too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

5. CodPiece

CodPiece Senior member

Well, I've pretty much settled in to Eau de Lalique and Terre d'Hermes these days. The Lalique just makes me so happy.

I'll be traveling just south of Venice this summer. Any suggestions for native Italian scents to seek out?

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

^Villoresi makes decent scents. Paolo Gigli, too, but more expensive. Not sure whether AbdesSalam Attar is originally Italian, but the distributor is. I only have the Vetiver of Villoresi which is nice. Carribean of Paolo Gigli which isn't my favorite but it's well crafted nonetheless. And Sharif of AbdesSalam which is sort of similar to Muscs Koublai Khan and definitely worth a try. I think I have a fragrance from another Italian parfumeur but I don't remember which.

SotD is Tribute Attar. Goody, too. Opens with a saffron/frankincense accord. Later on, leather, vetiver and tabacco join the symphony. And of course precious rose and jasmine. Edit: I also get oud.
    I don't regret spending 30 bucks on each. For .5 ml. It'll last a long time.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

7. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Eau d'Hermes: whoa, wet sweaty saddle. With Cumin. After a while, just cumin.

What an odd scent. I think I'll have to try it many times in the coming days to get to the bottom of it.

8. L'Incandescent

That's one of my favorites!

Une Rose Vermeille for me today.

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

SotN -Vetiver pour Elle. I like this better than the regular Vetiver. It's not as clean.

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Satori Iris Homme

11. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Sorry to be so late. I haven't tried the current EdP of Jicky, so I'm not sure. I've only had the Parfum de toilette, which was discontinued some time ago. It's lovely and foul as the day is long.
    Currently I just use the EdT and the parfum. In any case, $300 is awfully steep unless the money doesn't matter to you OR you simply love Jicky more than anything else. If you are still wanting to sample the world of scent... I'd say save your money.

Vintage Guerlain vetiver again today; love that tobacco and spice blast. WHY in the world did they screw with it? I have no, absolutely NO, idea.

12. CodPiece

CodPiece Senior member

Thanks B1os, I"ll keep my eye out for these!

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Hommage Attar as SotD.
    Santal Blush as SotN.

14. L'Incandescent

Hey b1os, what's your impression of Santal Blush. I was captivated by it the very first time I smelled it. It's remained one of my favorites.
    Also, I've got some Lyric Man on the way!

SOTD: L'Artisan Safran Troublant. Don't know what's going on, but I'm really, really liking this one today. I didn't dislike it before, but something is really clicking this time. I actually had the same experience with Tauer Une Rose Vermeille, which I wore yesterday.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, I love it. I sampled it once and decided to go for a full sample (!, lol). Didn't get to wear it a second time because of my samplemania (I guess you know that feeling). I didn't get the stinky (sweaty cumin and probably a little civet) notes -- especially in the beginning -- the first time though. They make it even more interesting.

I hope you enjoy Lyric Man! At least it's a solid rose scent.