• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I am extremely unfamiliar with Etro's creations. :(

Out of the few I tried, Shaal Nur was a total winner. Messe de Minuit was good for a time (dark churchy incense) but soon I came to discern this odd coconut note and that ruined it for me. Sandalo was really nice but when I sampled it I hadn't yet gotten hooked on Sandalwood.

(...)
I wore my new Must De Cartier Extrait yesterday evening and asked my wife what she thought: "You smell like a cake shop.":uhoh:

I never ever ever ever ask Mrs. Thomas what she thinks of a scent. Ever. She's kind of a fruity-floral type.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday's SotN: A Lab on Fire - What We Do in Paris is Secret. Opening nice, overall decent, but it has that sort of dryness/aquatic notes (I don't know how to describe it better) I'm no fan of.

Today, AbdesSalam Attar - Sharif. 99.xx% natural (or probably 100%). This is a good match for Muscs Koublai Khan. Also spicey, sweet, animalic (natural civet in here!). I like them both. I'm sure there are some profound differences, but the general vibe is similar to me. Longevity is good.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lhomme libra today,

not bad but not somthing i care to own 

That's about my opinion too. I can't get too excited about cool green scents like L'Homme Libre.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What do you think about that one, Dopester?
. . .

...Also curious about the Petroleum.

I can't give a real review of Petroleum yet since it is still pretty new. It seems to be different than anything else I have used so I am not sure how to describe it. It definitely carries the risk of being more novelty than good, but I liked it enough to get a bottle.
Petroleum is one of the weirder, more interesting scents I have ever encountered. I can't tell if I like it or not as it is completely and utterly foreign. I would be curious to hear what others think of it.
Here is a review from basenotes (it left out "profoundly weird"):
Petroleum is pretty bizarre indeed being entirely built and conceived on juxtapositions. Resinous and intense but at the same time sort of fresh and "ozonic", deep and obscure but surrounded by aldehydic notes, dark and animalic yet "clear" and somehow light. All the elements are handled in an almost "unseen" way. The oud/rose combo is nowhere similimar or somehow close to any of the previous interpretations of the accord, It's amphasized in its woody freshness avoiding the burnt-sugar and medicinal effect. Rose is detectable but masterfully blended with the rest. Deepness is provided by a consistent dose of resinous notes while civet juxtaposed to aldehydes and ozonic hints gives birth to a destabilizing and pleasantly dissonant accord during the musky/ambery drydown. The base. This is the real point of strength of Petroleum.

Petroleum is not just wearable, is extremely wearable and a true standout. The fragrance has a nice projection but it never become overwhelming or claustrophobic. It has a remarkable presence but, fortunately, is not overpowering as I expected.

Lately I've noticed a mineral quality to it that adds even more complexity. Surely a winner for me and among the best releases of the year but I believe this is going to be a polarizing fragrance because of its ozonic undertones which, together with aldehydes, create a bizarre juxtaposition with the rest. Paradoxically there's no challenging power coming from the supposed petrol note (which is definitely more mineral/natural smelling than the gasoline-like accord of, let's say, Fahrenheit, Nostalgia or even Knize Ten). The ozonic aspect, instead, adds a slightly weird and destabilizing nuance that may result off-putting to someone. IMO it perfectly blends with the rest adding a compelling, sort of off-centre, aspect.

Overall Petroleum has a very distinctive character and, just like many of the HDP compositions, it perfectly achieves an incredible balance between traditional perfumery and modernity. Full bodied but somehow weightless.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ That sounds very interesting. I have to say, though, that I have a hard time coming up with an olfactory image based on the description. It seems quite different from anything I've experienced.

TF Santal Blush for me today.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like gasoline notes - the one in Nostalgia is very true, but it still manages to be very wearable and "pleasant." That reminds me that I need to get some Nostalgia - it's been months since I ran out.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SotD: Amouage - Hommage Attar. Great stuff! Opens with a slight rose note, then zesty citrus becomes more prominent. 30 minutes in or so, frankincense and oud kick in. Shortly after, rose comes into play. There's also some jasmine in the background and amber. Longevity is decent. Much projection in the first hour, a little more silent in the drydown. Potent stuff overall, you literally just need dabs.

SotN: Vol de Nuit vintage parfum. Great, too.

Last edited:

CodPiece

Reaction score
Well, I've pretty much settled in to Eau de Lalique and Terre d'Hermes these days. The Lalique just makes me so happy.

I'll be traveling just south of Venice this summer. Any suggestions for native Italian scents to seek out?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Villoresi makes decent scents. Paolo Gigli, too, but more expensive. Not sure whether AbdesSalam Attar is originally Italian, but the distributor is. I only have the Vetiver of Villoresi which is nice. Carribean of Paolo Gigli which isn't my favorite but it's well crafted nonetheless. And Sharif of AbdesSalam which is sort of similar to Muscs Koublai Khan and definitely worth a try. I think I have a fragrance from another Italian parfumeur but I don't remember which.

SotD is Tribute Attar. Goody, too. Opens with a saffron/frankincense accord. Later on, leather, vetiver and tabacco join the symphony. And of course precious rose and jasmine. Edit: I also get oud.
I don't regret spending 30 bucks on each. For .5 ml. It'll last a long time.

Last edited:

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eau d'Hermes: whoa, wet sweaty saddle. With Cumin. After a while, just cumin.

What an odd scent. I think I'll have to try it many times in the coming days to get to the bottom of it.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Eau d'Hermes: whoa, wet sweaty saddle. With Cumin. After a while, just cumin.
What an odd scent. I think I'll have to try it many times in the coming days to get to the bottom of it.

That's one of my favorites!

Une Rose Vermeille for me today.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SotN -Vetiver pour Elle. I like this better than the regular Vetiver. It's not as clean.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Satori Iris Homme

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

hmmmm stinkers! lol. I'm looking forward to wearing Pamplelune this summer since I haven't yet. Anyone think the juice is different because of the new packaging?
Just got a bottle of MKK myself actually since I'm going through a bit of a stinky musky phase right now. It's not as crazy as everyone says and the drydown is just amazing. I think the trick with this one is not to spray too much
anyone (Rach?), I was just at Guerlain and the Jicky EdP versus Extrait/Parfum... one's like $150, the other is like $300+... is the parfum that much better? or how is it different.

Sorry to be so late. I haven't tried the current EdP of Jicky, so I'm not sure. I've only had the Parfum de toilette, which was discontinued some time ago. It's lovely and foul as the day is long.
Currently I just use the EdT and the parfum. In any case, $300 is awfully steep unless the money doesn't matter to you OR you simply love Jicky more than anything else. If you are still wanting to sample the world of scent... I'd say save your money.

Vintage Guerlain vetiver again today; love that tobacco and spice blast. WHY in the world did they screw with it? I have no, absolutely NO, idea.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics