Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

^^ Wow, that's very strange about the Sycomore. I can't even imagine it.

@rach: Any update on the Ocean Rain? I'm really curious.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

As far as rach's "purging": dibs on any Must de Cartier extrait!!! :bounce2:

Just kidding but you know what I mean.

Concerning the perception of Sycomore's scent as sweeter/heavier/floral/whatever, I suppose that there is something that someone is anosmic towards a component in the perfume. Or maybe we are? :alien:

3. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Yesterdays scent- the day after a night of watching Buddy Guy taking over the set from Eddie Shay at Legends, a day of black tee and new denim, and a day of departures; L'Artisians Dzongkha seemed perfect. Smoky, peculiarly intimate, peaceful.

4. L'Incandescent

I haven't tried this one. In general, I've had so-so experiences with L'Artisan. One of my first real fragrance loves was from them: Mure et Musc. And there are others that I enjoy too, such as Dzing!, Tea for Two, Ete en Douce, etc. But what's happened a lot with them is that I've read reviews and descriptions online and gotten really excited, only to be disappointed when I got a chance to smell them. Nuit de Tubereuse is the best example of that: I was prepared to love it, but instead it's just something I like okay. The reviews I've read of The Pour un Ete make it seem like it's also something I'd like okay.

Pre-shower: Hammam Bouquet. I hadn't worn this in ages. Very good fragrance, but not something I enjoy wearing a lot. Still glad I have it.
    SOTD: Speaking of L'Artisan, it's Poivre Piquant. This is very unusual, and I like it a lot. But sillage and longevity are terrible, on me at least.

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

FM - Vétiver Extraordinaire. While it is decent, it's not extraordinary. Similar approach to vetiver like Guerlain's. BTW, has anyone tried the Vetiver pour elle? Looking forward to receiving a sample.
    Kilian - Beyond Love. Good tuberose. Worth the price tag? Maybe. Maybe not.

Keiko Mecheri - Jasmine. Good soliflore.
    Keiko Mecheri - Musc. I like it a lot.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love Vetiver Extraordinaire - it doesn't remind me of the Guerlain at all (love that one too). VE is the most dank and earthy of all the vetivers I've sampled.

I did try Vetiver pour elle a few years ago in the Paris store. I remember liking it, but I didn't spend enough time with it to get a really strong picture of it. I do remember that I was going to leave with one bottle, and in the end I was choosing between Vetiver pour elle and Derby, and ended up buying the latter. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have gotten Apres l'Ondee or Vol du Nuit.

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Hm, really? I had a feeling that they smelled similarly. I'll wear them both and compare them, maybe you're right. I thought this was a very clean vetiver, too.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

True. I don't know what I smelled yesterday. Guerlain's is really really clean. FM's is indeed earthy and animalic (cumin-sweaty).

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

10. L'Incandescent

Thanks a lot for that, M-C. Burr's analogy between Mies van der Rohe's architecture and Chanel No. 5 was really illuminating. I also appreciated his comparison of L'Interdit to the effect you get from Santal Massoia and other Ellena minimalist scents. (Now I have to try Santal Massoia!) I'm not entirely convinced that the history of perfumery is going to map neatly onto the history of movements in literature, music, painting, etc., but it does seem like a very helpful way of thinking about it.

Must de Cartier parfum for me today. I'm amazed they sold more than ten bottles of this stuff!

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Bond No.9 - Little Italy.

Orange-y. SWEET beyond sweet. Not as artificial as a popsicle or Sunny-D, but more like sticking your face into a basket of freshly cut mandarins and clementines. It screams for 30 seconds and then dies down. Lies extremely close to the skin, almost no projection. Could work well as a layering scent, but not substantial enough on its own.

Might try a layer with some Chanel Antaeus for a bit more citrus underneath.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

It's definitely a phenolic leather at first and then turns into a rosy vanilla scent. I find it actually to be more of a gourmand than anything - vanilla, smoked meats, roasted coffee . . .

13. 1969

1969 Senior member

So how many of you actually have ever used references to confirm what your're smelling? For example, if I think I taste cardamon in a dish I can always check that by going directly to check out cardamon and seeing if I am correct. Personally, I have no idea what the difference between cedar and sandalwood really smells like but if I had them to examine as a reference I would. Just curious if some of the better noses here have actually taken a logical approach to developing your skills.

14. L'Incandescent

Off to the opera in Diptyque Eau Rose.

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

well in my frag library, I often keep vials of various scents just as a reference if they're a particularly good example of a certain note or concept. You could always go to somewhere like edan botanicals and order a basic organ or set of essential oils to help you identify particular notes.

speaking of cardamom, I generally confuse it with cumin for example but once you've smelled any one thing enough, it becomes obvious to your memory what it is you're smelling.

Sandalwood and Cedarwood are quite different. I'm not an expert on wood (that's what she said) but to me Cedar is generally greener, sort of sharp and peppery, while Sandalwood has a few different versions but generally smells oily, warm, maybe a little powdery (aussie?) and somewhat nutty and spicy (indian?). That's my general impression, of course there may be a lot of supporting notes that are added into the memory.

SOTD: Jicky (edt), what else?! it's attractive and repulsive all at the same time. Gotta get me some of this. I heard the Parfum is much better??? anyone?