• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here ya go, Thomas - try layering Tam Dao with Terre d'Hermes and see what you think. When I do layer that's what I most frequently do.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey guys! I've been lurking here (and sampling) for some time now and would like to thank you all for giving people who are new to fragrances some great inspirations and insights.
Im pretty sure I will pick up a bottle of Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur soon, though I do think that the name is utterly misleading. I get vanilla. A lot of vanilla!
Any other Malle scents worth sampling? Geranium pour Monsieur was way too minty, but I liked Angelique sous la Pluie a lot. Portrait of a Lady was a delight as well, but I'd rather smell it on a woman. L'eau

Welcome to SOTD! The Frederic Malle fragrances that I think are most worth trying are:
Dans Tes Bras--Master-Classter described this a few posts above. It's very beautiful, but as M-C suggests, it's beautiful in a non-obvious way. It's one of my favorites, not just in the FM line, but in general.
Carnal Flower--this is a perfect treatment of tuberose.
Une Rose--just what the name suggests. It's a bright rose that's also a little dirty.
Lipstick Rose--This seems to be a polarizing scent. Some people really dislike it. I'm a big fan.
En Passant--Great for spring and summer. It smells like lilac, but there's also a weird bready note.

@ Master-Classter: You're right, Baudelaire is definitely quirky. I've seen this described as too simple a scent, but I don't think that's right at all. There's quite a lot going on throughout the development of this. To my nose, there's a lot of sharpness that comes from the incense and the leather notes. But it's complemented wonderfully by the sweet floral note and the amber. I like it very much, but I don't wear it a lot because I find it a bit masculine for my taste. I said this recently about Leather Oud, but it's true of this too: I like it a lot, but I don't feel like it's "me."

I'm in La Tulipe for my late night/bedtime scent.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since I'm home by myself, the bedtime scent is Mona di Orio Amyitis.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: L'Artisan Al Oudh

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone a rec for cheap small (2-2.5ml-ish) atomizers? I've found http://www.ebay.de/itm/5-Parfumzers...tDomain_77&hash=item2ebbeb0891#ht_3336wt_1064 (5 for 4€ incl. shipping), but maybe you know better/cheaper ones? Don't need too many, probably like 30-40.

SotD D.R. Harris - Arlington. Very nice, fresh cologne for hot weather. Citrus in the beginning, fern emerges during the drydown. Well balanced, very refreshing, good value. You can apply very generously because it's pretty light. I spilled like 0.2ml on my hand (damn sample vials...) and it was prefectly fine. Longevity is ok, probably 5-6 hours.

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

My love for Tam Dao is endless and deep as the swimming pool in B-52's "Private Idaho". Seriously, it's like my fave.
10 Corso Como is a strange scent and I wonder if it used to be different back in the day to have such a reputation as a classic niche scent. It has that funkiness that is reminiscent of Oud 27 yet I find the former scent to be sickening.

I believe it re: Tam Dao. It's just right.
10CC has changed iirc, I never knew it before now but remember some lamentations posted elsewhere. I just wanted to know what the fuss was about. Not interested any longer, though.

PM sent...
I can't find anything really wrong with Tam Dao, and yet every time I've worn it, it just seems to darn boring. Duelle's a nice one I think, I'm considering getting a bottle.
7 veils, lol,

Yes, she pushed it on me thinking it would be great, and I quite liked it. She's supposed to send me a decant when she gets home.

I've been impressed with Trumper's stuff that I've smelled - they are well constructed of what seem to be well made ingredients but are kind of old fashion smelling in a classic sort of way.

The few that I've tried have been okay, the better ones were close copies of Chanel scents (Curzon - Antaeus and Sandalwood - Egoiste). Although Curzon once gassed me out of my office, and I never wore it again.

Here ya go, Thomas - try layering Tam Dao with Terre d'Hermes and see what you think. When I do layer that's what I most frequently do.

Oh, I can totally see that working. I'd wanted to try TdH with Kiehl's musk but hadn't gotten around to it.

Today, Guerlain Vetiver. I still have the big bottle that I bought years ago, it's time to start burning through it.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The descriptions I've read of this intrigue me. What's your opinion of it?

Pre-shower: Nuit de Tubereuse
SOTD: Aventus. Not really my style, but nonetheless it's clearly a very good fragrance. Felt right today for some reason.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The descriptions I've read of this intrigue me. What's your opinion of it?

Stanky. But in a good way - it evolves over a long period of time. It's quite a unique scent to me and I'm yet to figure it out.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Realizing that I may be asking for trouble: Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, even though it's only 70 degrees out.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Stanky. But in a good way - it evolves over a long period of time. It's quite a unique scent to me and I'm yet to figure it out.

That's the impression I had gotten from the descriptions I'd read. I should try this out, although I just spent a lot of money on fragrances! Maybe next month.

IMO, Un Jardin sur le Nil is good for any weather, but especially good for spring/summer.

fungz0r

Reaction score
Jubilation XXV today

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
L'inc wearing Aventus? Jeez, next I'll be wearing "Hugo Boss." (haha)

Having a "l'eau" week (did Givenchy and Lalique on Monday and Tuesday) and will do Eau de Rochas today. Like the other great "eaux" (Dior Eau Fraiche and Sauvage, Cristalle, etc.) this one is not your brother's Aqua di Gio.

The Rochas original (came out in 1970, IIRC) is in the neighborhood of Eau Sauvage and Neroli Sauvage, being a drier citrus with woods. Longevity is very good for what it is. There is also an "homme" version, but I have NO clue why they bothered; there is nothing feminine about the original.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

L'inc wearing Aventus? Jeez, next I'll be wearing "Hugo Boss." (haha)

Ouch!
Aventus seems like a fragrance that would be worn by a guy whose friends call him "broseph."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads