• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went in a girlier direction with Flowerbomb as my SOTE.

Have any of you guys tried Secrete Datura by MPG? I have been irrationally excited about trying this lately, but none of the online retailers sells samples of it. I've been considering blind buying a full bottle of it, even though I know that would be a stupid thing to do. (This happens to me from time to time: I get obsessed by some fragrance I've never tried, but that seems like it must be the greatest thing in history. Then I spend money.)

Last edited:

tps16

Reaction score
Yesterday, ADC Colonia Assoluta
Today, Shalimar,

On another note, tried Truefitt and Hill for a haricut/wash/shave yesterday. One of their shampoos has a really unique leathery/woody scent. Anyone familiar with this? Thinking I might try it, but the longevity/sillage seems like it might be too intense to be compatible with anything else. Also, any experience with their fragrances?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have any of you guys tried Secrete Datura by MPG? I have been irrationally excited about trying this lately, but none of the online retailers sells samples of it. I've been considering blind buying a full bottle of it, even though I know that would be a stupid thing to do. (This happens to me from time to time: I get obsessed by some fragrance I've never tried, but that seems like it must be the greatest thing in history. Then I spend money.)

What's MPG?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I have done this on plenty of occasions. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Today: Chanel Pour Monsieur in preparation for meeting up with a friend for lunch and huffing each other's cleavages. That sounds kinda sordid but her husband is at peace with it.

green bastard

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been lurking here (and sampling) for some time now and would like to thank you all for giving people who are new to fragrances some great inspirations and insights.

Im pretty sure I will pick up a bottle of Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur soon, though I do think that the name is utterly misleading. I get vanilla. A lot of vanilla!
Any other Malle scents worth sampling? Geranium pour Monsieur was way too minty, but I liked Angelique sous la Pluie a lot. Portrait of a Lady was a delight as well, but I'd rather smell it on a woman. L'eau d'Hiver is clean and fresh without smelling clinical, a shame my sample is empty already.

Thoughts an Noir Epices, En Passant or French Lover/Bois d'Orage?

Im wearing Heeley's Sel Marin today which is basically a ocean in a bottle. Breezy and aquatic, salty with hints of lemon. A gorgeous summer scent. Long lasting too.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Incandescent/B - your 'dirty' tastes always make me laugh. Then again I also just bought a partial bottle of MKK, just for the hell of it. Thoughts on Baudelaire? it's kind of a quirky one IMO. IIRC Hyacinthe is the floral element.

as for the Jardins, Toit is growing on me for sure. Will test Nil a few times this summer based on your guys' rec, Mousson and Medeteranni don't really grab me either...

1. Left hand - Wore Grey Vetiver too yesterday actually, nothing unusual but it's a good safe scent that everyone seems to like. And at $130 for 100ml (less employee discount :slayer:) it's a good bang for buck IMO.

2. Left arm - Also tested out Malle's Dans Tes Bras which has really grown on me actually. It's not that it's a 'nice' smell to be honest, but there is something attractive about it. sort of like salty, almost sour, and a little smokey skin, and yet I get compliments on it, and just one spray on my arm lasts all day... I have no idea where/when to wear this but it was surprising.

3. Right hand - one of the new Boss private fragrances (samples going into swap box 4), the amber one. eh, not a bad fragrance per say but if you like amber there's more interesting stuff out there. 4-5 hours longevity, i've already forgotten how to describe it. and at nearly $200 for 50ml, there's better juice out there...

4. Right arm, Malone Black Vetyver Cafe - love that coffee note but almost no projection off this one. Still something I'm looking at for a decant though...

$$$$ interest check:
- I have about 30ml in retail bottle+box of Malle Musc Ravageur, if anyone wants to buy it PM me...
- also, for those Jicky/Mouchoire/ChanelPM lovers - I have 25ml of ELDO Antihero's available too, PM for details.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PM'ed you.

SotD: Geo F. Trumper - Wild Fern. Quite nice fougère.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...as for the Jardins, Toit is growing on me for sure. Will test Nil a few times this summer based on your guys' rec, Mousson and Medeteranni don't really grab me either...
1. Left hand - Wore Grey Vetiver too yesterday actually, nothing unusual but it's a good safe scent that everyone seems to like. And at $130 for 100ml (less employee discount :slayer:) it's a good bang for buck IMO.
$$$$ interest check:
- I have about 30ml in retail bottle+box of Malle Musc Ravageur, if anyone wants to buy it PM me...
- also, for those Jicky/Mouchoire/ChanelPM lovers - I have 25ml of ELDO Antihero's available too, PM for details.

I think I enjoy Toit a lot too - moreso than Mediterranee which gets overly floral for my taste. Le nil is wonderful - smells like a wet summer morning near the river.

So, you being a Nordy rep (?) any way you could share the benefits with your fragrance brethren here on the forum? I'd take a (discounted) TFGreyVetiver...

What are you looking for for the Musc?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I had a wonderful lunch with a friend from out-of-town, she brought a bag of samples for me to try, there were winners and then not so much. I have to say that Tam Dao made a great first impression, as did Le Duelle. Others kinda had me wrinkling my nose, like 10 Corso Como, from which I expected more finesse. Byredo 7 Veils was an odd duck.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anybody out there thinking of running an Aventus split? If so, please let me know, I'd am interested in a larger quantity split.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So I had a wonderful lunch with a friend from out-of-town, she brought a bag of samples for me to try, there were winners and then not so much. I have to say that Tam Dao made a great first impression, as did Le Duelle. Others kinda had me wrinkling my nose, like 10 Corso Como, from which I expected more finesse. Byredo 7 Veils was an odd duck.

My love for Tam Dao is endless and deep as the swimming pool in B-52's "Private Idaho". Seriously, it's like my fave.
10 Corso Como is a strange scent and I wonder if it used to be different back in the day to have such a reputation as a classic niche scent. It has that funkiness that is reminiscent of Oud 27 yet I find the former scent to be sickening.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I think I enjoy Toit a lot too - moreso than Mediterranee which gets overly floral for my taste. Le nil is wonderful - smells like a wet summer morning near the river.
So, you being a Nordy rep (?) any way you could share the benefits with your fragrance brethren here on the forum? I'd take a (discounted) TFGreyVetiver...
What are you looking for for the Musc?

PM sent...

I can't find anything really wrong with Tam Dao, and yet every time I've worn it, it just seems to darn boring. Duelle's a nice one I think, I'm considering getting a bottle.
7 veils, lol,

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SotD: Geo F. Trumper - Wild Fern. Quite nice fougère.

I've been impressed with Trumper's stuff that I've smelled - they are well constructed of what seem to be well made ingredients but are kind of old fashion smelling in a classic sort of way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads