• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I should sniff the feminines, because the masculines have fallen out of my favor. I really liked L'homme Sage at one time, but it's become one of those that I can't stand to wear - it causes intense scent fatigue for me. l'homme de coeur is another that I liked at first but I got bored with it. I haven't smelled that one in a while so I'd be curious to revisit it. I remember my gf really hated it, and she rarely hated anything I wore, so that might have contributed to my feelings.

SmartySFO

Reaction score
Fragrance of the day today - Carthusia Uomo!

I've always steared clear of really strong masculine scents like Brut and the likes. Carthusia Uomo has it just right.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome to SF, SmartySFO!

Today I am wearing Portrait of a Lady. It is a fragrance by Frederic Malle. A fragrance about which I have strongly positive feelings about. (Sorry, I just graded a bunch of exams; I've absorbed my students' style of writing.)

fungz0r

Reaction score
Mark Birley for men today, mixed in with the chlorine smell after a morning swim.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Welcome to SF, SmartySFO!
Today I am wearing Portrait of a Lady. It is a fragrance by Frederic Malle. A fragrance about which I have strongly positive feelings about. (Sorry, I just graded a bunch of exams; I've absorbed my students' style of writing.)

Thems some literary geniuses you're working with there.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thems some literary geniuses you're working with there.

They are actually Mass Communications majors! Apparently they're de-emphasizing the communication part of the major nowadays.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Next up with my samples, Etro Gomma. This is one of the most leathery of the leathers I've worn. It's a bit like Knize Ten, but drier and less floral. It's a fancy, handbag/accessory leather, not a greasy saddle of stinky moroccan tannery kind of leather.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chanel No 19 EdP today - I got myself a sample from Nordstrom yesterday along with a shitload of other scents. Tomorrow I will try the EdT and see how different it is. My first sense of the two differences is more vetiver and overall more dryness in the EdT while the EdP is more rich? What would you guys say?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday: Malle - En Passant
Saturday: I don't remember.
Yesterday: Creed - Aventus
Today: sampled Santal Blush and Amber Absolute. I really like them both. The former from the very beginning. The latter I just "liked" but the dry-down after like 3-5 hours is much more to my taste.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Horns, Hmmm... I'll wait until you try both no. 19s to give you my opinion. I'll also make you up a small sample of the parfum to try when you come to Nippon.

My SOTD is Givenchy L'interdit (the original).

A unique scent and an interesting history... the original from 1957, made for Audrey Hepburn, is a floral aldehyde that is much warmer and creamier than Chanel no. 5. If you could blend Bois des iles and no. 5, and throw in some strawberry/peach from Guerlain mitsukou, and finish up with Caron Bellodgia, you'd have something like L'interdit. If you got teh cojones to wear a feminine floral aldehyde, it's worth the effort.

And then the strange history: it was discontinued in the late 1980's/early 1990's. Then in 2002 LVMH reintroduced the name on a completely different scent; they turned this masterpiece into strawberry shampoo from Bath and Body works. It was promptly discontinued and fragrance fans have never forgiven them. :lol: The Les Mythiques one from 2007 or so is the closest now to the original, though it's not the same. The original has a soft, springlike warmth and freshness that nevertheless is incredibly subtle.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Essential oils alter a lot when exposed to air (and even more so with possible toxic byproducts when shaken up regularly). This should be the case with parfums, too, shouldn't it? Rach, some of your vintages are pretty old, right? Aren't you afraid that the age changed the parfum too much? Or is this process stopped after a short time because of the sealed bottle? I'm not sure how much air exposure is neccesarry to dramatically transform the essential oils.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Horns, Hmmm... I'll wait until you try both no. 19s to give you my opinion. I'll also make you up a small sample of the parfum to try when you come to Nippon.
My SOTD is Givenchy L'interdit (the original).
A unique scent and an interesting history... the original from 1957, made for Audrey Hepburn, is a floral aldehyde that is much warmer and creamier than Chanel no. 5. If you could blend Bois des iles and no. 5, and throw in some strawberry/peach from Guerlain mitsukou, and finish up with Caron Bellodgia, you'd have something like L'interdit. If you got teh cojones to wear a feminine floral aldehyde, it's worth the effort.
And then the strange history: it was discontinued in the late 1980's/early 1990's. Then in 2002 LVMH reintroduced the name on a completely different scent; they turned this masterpiece into strawberry shampoo from Bath and Body works. It was promptly discontinued and fragrance fans have never forgiven them. :lol: The Les Mythiques one from 2007 or so is the closest now to the original, though it's not the same. The original has a soft, springlike warmth and freshness that nevertheless is incredibly subtle.

Thanks, homie!

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Next sample - Comme des Garcons Odeur 71. I've sampled this before, and I used to date a woman that wore it on occasion, but I don't think I've ever really worn it myself all day. I more attracted to scents that bloom in combination with skin and sweat than I am with synthetic and linear scents like this, but Odeur 71 is definitely interesting. From a distance, the sillage is fairly conventional, like a floral feminine perfume. Up close to the skin you pick up the smell of ozone and electricity and ink and metal. The downside of all this is that at times, it can smell like an an office that's just been mopped with a fragrant floor wax.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bois des Iles for me today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads