Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a decant of Fumerie Turque. I've had it for years, I never wear it. It's one of those scents that I appreciate in the abstract but I don't like to wear. Too heavy and dank, and it's got a whiff of urine about it - probably from the honey notes.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Yes, this is often the case with the Guerlain parfums vs. edt or edp. For example, shalimar in EdC or EdT is quite sweet, but in the parfum the civet comes out much more. Doubly so with Jicky.

The older parfum de toilettes may be closer, but the EdP is much "friendlier" than the parfum (of Mitsouko). With the parfum, the deep woodsy base comes out and is less sweet than incredibly well balanced, with a nice funky dark kick at the bottom. Yum.

Yes, I think so. For example, Coty chypre... the one that started them all... has been discontinued for ages but one of the big perfume fiends on one of the forums I was on once remarked how excited she was to get a sample... only to find that... alas... it was sort of like a bunch of other chypres, only not as well done. This was because it was the first one, and the one upon which so many copied. So, it was a let down for exactly the reason you mention.

Nevertheless, with Mitsouko, I think it's one that in lighter concentrations gives off too much powdery, bitter peachiness. The depth and the woods don't come across nearly so well as in the higher concentrations.

that being said, I love it in any concentration... but still I definitely understand your sentiment. Really, that's what makes the parfums worth their money... they're not just "more concentrated," but usually have different foci. For example, Diorissimo in EdC or Edt is a very crisp jasmine/lily. The parfum, though, has a deep, quite sexy funk to it that you'd never really know otherwise. Same with Miss Dior; in pure parfum that one is an absolute stinkfest.

Tonight is Caron Infini extrait... not to be confused with L'infini, which is a sweet floral... this one is smoke and hyacinth and oakmoss. Whereas Mitsouko is classy grandma after a sweaty day of gardening, Infini is chainsmoker grandma after a marathon canasta game. :lol:

p.s. if we meet up in japan I'll be sure and wear something incredibly rare and absolutely foul.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

That was my experience with Coty Chypre too. Still, as a lesson in perfume history it was definitely worthwhile to try it.

Speaking of great chypres, my pre-shower scent today was YSL Y parfum.
    SOTD: Dior Ambre Nuit. This is my favorite of the Exclusives line, although Leather Oud is a very close second.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

:slayer:

:drool:

:uhoh:

5. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Balenciaga Portos. This one has been really growing on me - it's a bit like Patou PH with loads of armpit funk underneath. Too bad it's discontinued. No idea if it's hard to find or not, I got my bottle off ebay a few years ago for cheap and I haven't looked for it since.

Actually - just looked and it's not too bad on ebay. My bottle is one of those 1 oz bottles available from a few sellers.

6. rach2jlc

You'll know it's me because I'll be the only one on the Tokyo subway with an entire train car to himself, with hoards of Japanese school girls running away yelling not "GODZILLA" but "CIVET MONSTER! CIVET MONSTER!"

(シベットモンスター!!!)

p.s. as promised today Caron Infini extrait. What I called "smoke' yesterday is actually just a big powerful smattering of the famous "Mousse de saxe" accord, Caron's specialty. It's a dark, woody, slightly licorice-y smokiness. With the flowers and woods, it is rather a neat discord... like the old Bandit or Tabac Blonde.

Baron, good choice on the Portos. :)

7. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

Amouage XXV today, might end up picking up rambo's decant

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I would think that the Japanese are not big fans of animalic odors like that, considering their concept of cleanliness.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

He would not complain about this and would encourage you to pick up several other of his fine offerings

10. rach2jlc

Yes, in general they dislike them... based on reactions from friends, students, colleagues, etc. They tend to wear light, fresh stuff... think D&G Light Blue or Bulgari Aqua.

Animalic scents are unpopular anyway, but even woodsy/darker scents tend to produce "senko-nyoi-suru" from my Japanese friends... which means "You smell like incense (that are burned for your dead relatives in front of the buddhist altar."

So, when they say "you smell like my dead grandmother" I guess I should stop taking it as a compliment. :lol:

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

+1

12. Aeneas

Aeneas Senior member

Has anyone created their own fragrance? How difficult is it do?

*sorry if this is not the appropriate thread

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Horns is about to. Search for his posts in the past three weeks or so.

14. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Sycomore today. I got really tired of this one for a while, but it feels fresh and bracing today. Then again, I'd probably be sick of it if I wore it 2 days in a row

15. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Just tried TF Lavender Palm for the first time. (Big thanks to Rambo!) I've been looking forward to trying this for quite a while. It's a very interesting fragrance. At the top you get a strong blast of lavender, but there's also citrus. There's a lime note that's especially interesting. I don't think I'd have ever thought to blend lime and lavender, but it's very compelling. Somehow the effect is not the typical clean lavender, but something a little bit dirty. Then in the middle the scent really hits its stride when the floral notes emerge. It's a very complex blend of lavender, citrus, florals, and some other aromatic notes. This part is just amazing. Finally, the lavender recedes a lot at the base, and what's left is something very sweet.

Longevity is good, but in the later stages it definitely sits close to the skin.