• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Malle - French Lover. Pretty good.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mitsouko Parfum today: peach, woods, and your grandma's armpits all on top of a guerlinade base. Damn amazing stuff.

Sounds like the Mitsouko parfum is quite a bit different from the edp,which is what I wear. To my nose, the edp is a straightforward bitter chypre with a lactonic peach. I don't get anything funky at all. (I assume the smell of grandma's armpits is a funky smell of some sort!)
Glad to see you back in SOTD!

Man, I just can't get into Mitsouko - which is sad to me because I feel like I'm missing out something great. Is it because it's been copied by so many other lesser perfumes that I end up smelling on women that does this to me? I don't know.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lutens - Fumerie Turque, from one of those weird wax based samples...

anyone tried this frag? Thoughts?

I believe it's not part of the export line but I heard a store here has a few bottles, not testers though. Might be worth the almost blind buy

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a decant of Fumerie Turque. I've had it for years, I never wear it. It's one of those scents that I appreciate in the abstract but I don't like to wear. Too heavy and dank, and it's got a whiff of urine about it - probably from the honey notes.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sounds like the Mitsouko parfum is quite a bit different from the edp,which is what I wear. To my nose, the edp is a straightforward bitter chypre with a lactonic peach. I don't get anything funky at all. (I assume the smell of grandma's armpits is a funky smell of some sort!)
Glad to see you back in SOTD!

Yes, this is often the case with the Guerlain parfums vs. edt or edp. For example, shalimar in EdC or EdT is quite sweet, but in the parfum the civet comes out much more. Doubly so with Jicky.

The older parfum de toilettes may be closer, but the EdP is much "friendlier" than the parfum (of Mitsouko). With the parfum, the deep woodsy base comes out and is less sweet than incredibly well balanced, with a nice funky dark kick at the bottom. Yum.

Man, I just can't get into Mitsouko - which is sad to me because I feel like I'm missing out something great. Is it because it's been copied by so many other lesser perfumes that I end up smelling on women that does this to me? I don't know.

Yes, I think so. For example, Coty chypre... the one that started them all... has been discontinued for ages but one of the big perfume fiends on one of the forums I was on once remarked how excited she was to get a sample... only to find that... alas... it was sort of like a bunch of other chypres, only not as well done. This was because it was the first one, and the one upon which so many copied. So, it was a let down for exactly the reason you mention.

Nevertheless, with Mitsouko, I think it's one that in lighter concentrations gives off too much powdery, bitter peachiness. The depth and the woods don't come across nearly so well as in the higher concentrations.

that being said, I love it in any concentration... but still I definitely understand your sentiment. Really, that's what makes the parfums worth their money... they're not just "more concentrated," but usually have different foci. For example, Diorissimo in EdC or Edt is a very crisp jasmine/lily. The parfum, though, has a deep, quite sexy funk to it that you'd never really know otherwise. Same with Miss Dior; in pure parfum that one is an absolute stinkfest.

Tonight is Caron Infini extrait... not to be confused with L'infini, which is a sweet floral... this one is smoke and hyacinth and oakmoss. Whereas Mitsouko is classy grandma after a sweaty day of gardening, Infini is chainsmoker grandma after a marathon canasta game. :lol:

p.s. if we meet up in japan I'll be sure and wear something incredibly rare and absolutely foul.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For example, Coty chypre... the one that started them all... has been discontinued for ages but one of the big perfume fiends on one of the forums I was on once remarked how excited she was to get a sample... only to find that... alas... it was sort of like a bunch of other chypres, only not as well done. This was because it was the first one, and the one upon which so many copied. So, it was a let down for exactly the reason you mention.

That was my experience with Coty Chypre too. Still, as a lesson in perfume history it was definitely worthwhile to try it.

Speaking of great chypres, my pre-shower scent today was YSL Y parfum.
SOTD: Dior Ambre Nuit. This is my favorite of the Exclusives line, although Leather Oud is a very close second.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Balenciaga Portos. This one has been really growing on me - it's a bit like Patou PH with loads of armpit funk underneath. Too bad it's discontinued. No idea if it's hard to find or not, I got my bottle off ebay a few years ago for cheap and I haven't looked for it since.

Actually - just looked and it's not too bad on ebay. My bottle is one of those 1 oz bottles available from a few sellers.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You'll know it's me because I'll be the only one on the Tokyo subway with an entire train car to himself, with hoards of Japanese school girls running away yelling not "GODZILLA" but "CIVET MONSTER! CIVET MONSTER!"

(シベットモンスター!!!)

p.s. as promised today Caron Infini extrait. What I called "smoke' yesterday is actually just a big powerful smattering of the famous "Mousse de saxe" accord, Caron's specialty. It's a dark, woody, slightly licorice-y smokiness. With the flowers and woods, it is rather a neat discord... like the old Bandit or Tabac Blonde.

Baron, good choice on the Portos. :)

Last edited:

fungz0r

Reaction score
Amouage XXV today, might end up picking up rambo's decant

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You'll know it's me because I'll be the only one on the Tokyo subway with an entire train car to himself, with hoards of Japanese school girls running away yelling not "GODZILLA" but "CIVET MONSTER! CIVET MONSTER!"
(シベットモンスター!!!)
p.s. as promised today Caron Infini extrait. What I called "smoke' yesterday is actually just a big powerful smattering of the famous "Mousse de saxe" accord, Caron's specialty. It's a dark, woody, slightly licorice-y smokiness. With the flowers and woods, it is rather a neat discord... like the old Bandit or Tabac Blonde.
Baron, good choice on the Portos. :)

I would think that the Japanese are not big fans of animalic odors like that, considering their concept of cleanliness.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Amouage XXV today, might end up picking up rambo's decant

He would not complain about this and would encourage you to pick up several other of his fine offerings

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would think that the Japanese are not big fans of animalic odors like that, considering their concept of cleanliness.

Yes, in general they dislike them... based on reactions from friends, students, colleagues, etc. They tend to wear light, fresh stuff... think D&G Light Blue or Bulgari Aqua.

Animalic scents are unpopular anyway, but even woodsy/darker scents tend to produce "senko-nyoi-suru" from my Japanese friends... which means "You smell like incense (that are burned for your dead relatives in front of the buddhist altar."

So, when they say "you smell like my dead grandmother" I guess I should stop taking it as a compliment. :lol:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads