Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Lol. Its sort of a running joke on here. Kingdom is one of the foulest smelling scents that I've ever smelled.

What's the picture of?

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

FYI longevity is pretty good. Applied 15 hours ago, now it's really nice with lots of amber (and musc.. at least so say the notes.. how does musc smell like?).

sjmin: How do you likeit?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Yeah, the longevity of this stuff is very good. I haven't smelled the Occitane rose, but I can guess what it smells like. The rose in Fleurs de Bulgarie is prominent, but there are other things too--it's not a pure rose. But compared to something like Chanel No. 5, where the rose is blended with lots of other things, Fleurs de Bulgarie is very rosy.

There's not any amber in Fleurs de Bulgarie. This is one of those terminological confusions that's much more common than it should be. I just checked Fragrantica and sure enough, they say there's amber in the base. It's not amber, though, it's ambergris. The names are very similar, and often people say amber when they mean ambergris, but they smell completely different. I'm pretty sure that the smell you're liking quite a bit at the base is ambergris; it's more prominent than the musk. It's hard to describe musk, so I'll try it this way. I don't know if this is true in Germany, but in the U.S. a lot of laundry detergents are scented with musk. (White musk in particular--the cleaner smelling kind.)

6. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Last night, ADP colonia assoluta
    Today, Chanel No.19

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, I actually mixed up the scents. I've sampled Fleurs de Thé Rose Bulgare. I wear it again today, and yeah, there's much rose from the very beginning, it's just another type of rose. Also, there seems to be no musk in it, but even more other notes which lead to my initial view on it not being too rose forward.
    About the ambergris stuff, now you're confusing me. In German, the stuff from the wales is called "Ambra". I always thought amber was "Ambra" and ambergris is just another word for it as ambergris is in fact grey. But yeah, now that I think of it, I learned that "amber" was fossiled tree resin way before I was really interested in fragrances. Many people on BN seem to mix it up, too.
    So.. ambergris smells vanilla/sweet-like, right? And amber? Also, it's most definitely synthetic ambergris in the Creed fragrance, right?
    About musk.. yeah, I remember now that I've got a fragrance sample, I think it's something from Comme des Garçons, which mostly consists of white musk. I know what you mean. What does normal (black?) musk smell like?

8. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

Le Labo rose 31 - I get the spicy soapy rose smell from it

9. L'Incandescent

Ok, that makes sense. There's a bright, crisp citrus opening to Fleurs de The Rose Bulgare, and there's a slight, very pleasant sweetness that emerges in the drydown. This is definitely one of my favorites.

About amber and ambergris: when you think of amber, think of Ambre Sultan. That very sweet, rich smell is amber. Amber is the name of an accord that's not defined too precisely, but that typically includes labdanum, benzoin, and vanilla. Ambergris is the one that comes from the sperm whale. It's not resiny sweet like amber; it has a cleaner, more marine smell. (At least that's true of the stuff that's called ambergris. I think genuine ambergris that really comes from whales is much more animalic and funky.)

Unfortunately, musk is another one of those terms that can mean a lot of different things. Generally, a musky smell is dense and animalic. Think of Bal a Versailles, for example. When people say white musk, they typically have in mind something that's cleaner, less dense, more transparent and light. A great example is Lutens Clair de Musc.

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Yeah, I wonder how ambrox smells in comparison to beach ambergris. I got a 3% tincture of beach ambergris and it smells like . . . the beach. At low tide.
    So, yeah, ambergris smells animalic but you gotta remember that mollusks are members of the kingdom animalia!

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today, cuz it's cold as balls: vintage Oscare de la Renta Pour Lui.

12. L'Incandescent

Tauer Reverie au Jardin today.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

a new bottle today: Ambre Fetiche. My amber needs have been fulfilled for the next decade with this one. I won't even miss Amber Absolute.

14. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Villoresi Incensi today

15. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Habit Rouge today:slayer: