1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Byredo La Tulipe. Fall/Winter isn't the best season for this, but I like it so much that I'm going to wear it anyway. I've got a lot of work to get done today, and when that happens I like to wear comfort scents. La Tulipe is a great comfort scent.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver

3. L'Incandescent

Tom Ford Noir de Noir. Another wonderful fragrance that I've been ignoring lately b/c I've been doing so much sampling.

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

TF has always done good stuff. I've liked his goods since he was at Gucci in the 1990s, and in fragrance, he's really never had a miss. Of course we remember Gucci, but we also should remember the YSL scents he was responsible for... not just YSL RG PH, but also YSL Cinema (a lovely floriental) and M7. I was skeptical about his Private Blend, given how many he put out at once, but those I've tried have been worth the effort, though I don't know if they're worth the price.

IN any case, over the past two years of so I've sort of been doing a "history" lesson with myself and going back to try all the old classics that are responsible for the entire way we conceive of a fragrance. SO, before I get back into new scents, I need to complete that journey. I have or have been able to sample in at least a 5-10 ml form most of the classic parfums and EdTs of Hermes, Guerlain, and Caron... and so hopefully in the next year or so I'll be ready to get back into contemporary scents. There are MANY amazing scents coming out now, and I think one can appreciate them even more if one has a clearer indication of their history.

It's sort of like how finding Deleuze or Putnam may get one into philosophy, but then going back to Kant, Hegel, Leibniz, Wittgenstein, etc. can then make the 2nd readings of those folk considerably richer.

Sad thing about current fragrances are that the laws around them mean that we'll never have another "truly" great Chypre... you just can't do it without oakmoss. :( BUT, orientals seem to be back in a big way.

SOTD Chyprific with a layering of Miss Dior and Patyka Chypre today. ...wondering if I should try to go for broke and do an underlayer of Kiehl's musk... hmmm

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

KnizeTen.
    After day in Milan for Cyro Baptista morning aperitivo concert, great fish lunch, and then Cezanne exhibition, it's still lingering.
    Can see myself ordering this as a great Autumn staple scent.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Creed - Original Vetiver

7. L'Incandescent

Delicious Closet Queen today. (Well, today and every day, I guess. :embar:)

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Speaking of the moderns...today, Oud 27.

9. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mr. Blass. This reminds me a bit of both Derby and L'Instant PH.

10. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Cuir de Russie again

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Lalique - Encre Noir

12. giony

giony Senior member

Parfumerie Generale Felanilla today, although topnote is a total haunting dental office, the drydown of vanilla is quite divine.

13. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Richard James, the original 2003 release. Fruity, floral leather, I've always like this one despite a chaotic opening.

14. L'Incandescent

Divine L'Ame Soeur. This whole line is just extraordinary. L'Homme Sage is my fourth favorite Divine, and I love L'Homme Sage.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You think I would enjoy any of the other scents in the line? I :heart: L'Homme Sage.