• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You have to understand the way I describe scents. Heavy is Bel Ami, Rose Poivre, etc. Heavy is "I smell like an unwashed ****." Light, is basically anything below that. My other descriptives - manly, feminine, and Telly Savalas. I'm sure I'll come up with some more in the future.

:crackup:

tps16

Reaction score
Sampled 2 fragrances this weekend: Black Orchid and La Nuit De L'homme. I didn't much like Black Orchid (is that coconut I smell in the top notes?), but I can see the appeal it might have. I don't like chocolate, so I think that's probably a big part of not liking this fragrance. Interestingly, my wife likes it on me.
I don't get the appeal of La Nuit De L'homme. It smells really synthetic to me. I can't make out many notes, it just comes across as a cloud of perfumy chemicals. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? I thought it was supposed to be good, but maybe I'm getting it confused with something else.
Today, Cuir de Russie.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got my Le Labo Rose 31 from Rambo today -- thanks!

Initial impressions: smells very sweet and reminds me of musc ravageur a lot.. I get the rose but it's not as unique to me. I haven't sprayed it on so I can't judge it fully, but I'm slightly disappointed at how familiar it smells.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Got my Le Labo Rose 31 from Rambo today -- thanks!
Initial impressions: smells very sweet and reminds me of musc ravageur a lot.. I get the rose but it's not as unique to me. I haven't sprayed it on so I can't judge it fully, but I'm slightly disappointed at how familiar it smells.

The drydown is where it really shines.

You're welcome btw.

coco2010

Reaction score

Sampled 2 fragrances this weekend: Black Orchid and La Nuit De L'homme. I didn't much like Black Orchid (is that coconut I smell in the top notes?), but I can see the appeal it might have. I don't like chocolate, so I think that's probably a big part of not liking this fragrance. Interestingly, my wife likes it on me.
I don't get the appeal of La Nuit De L'homme. It smells really synthetic to me. I can't make out many notes, it just comes across as a cloud of perfumy chemicals. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? I thought it was supposed to be good, but maybe I'm getting it confused with something else.
Today, Cuir de Russie.

La nuit sucks, imo. Black Orchid is dope, however.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Haven't been here in awhile!

Today, the lovely Amouage Memoir Man. I was expecting something more challenging from this, but it doesn't have the weirdness i imagined it would. This is good, because it will see a lot of use and not be relegated to the pile of rarely worn novelty frags.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you guys combine two fragrances at once? If so, how often and what do y'all combine?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Ah, interesing! Didn't you say you also hated Chanel no. 19? That one is galbanum and then some more galbanum. I always find it fascinating when we find a note we hate; I'm that way with Tonka bean (and also benzoin). Give me a tonka heavy scent or one with benzoin and I go "ickkkk." Givenchy Pi, for example, makes me want to scream.

re: 19, yep, that's how I knew I didn't like Galbanum. Same with Tuberose notes and some Iris. And some jasmine (the indoles) aren't great either. They wear fine on me but I just find them quite cold and bitter. I got no issues with Tonka though, but that's what makes this fun!
I tried Untitled at the insistence of an SA at Saks once. She told me it was a scent that people either loved or hated. She waited with curiosity to see how I'd respond. I swear to God, I literally smelled nothing at all. She told me she could smell it from where she was standing--maybe a couple feet away. Even after she sprayed it liberally on the paper, I smelled only paper. Needless to say, she did not get the sale!
Yeah, I smelled it for a few minutes and then it was gone, completely. Maybe olifactory fatigue or desensitization? Anyway, my SA didn't get the sale either :satisfied:

Do you guys combine two fragrances at once? If so, how often and what do y'all combine?

It can be done, but I almost never do personally. If you want to experiment with this sort of thing there's a few ways to try it.
1. The easiest is to find lines that are made for that such as Jo Malone and Tom Ford. Each of their scents typically has like 2-3 accords total so it's easy to use some imagination and combine them. The Malones are quite light so you can spray on lots / double up, whereas the Fords you should divide the sprays in half (ie only ONE of each bottle).
2. The other way to combine is to accentuate certain notes, so I may have a particular note I like within a frag but it's buried in there, and I'll another frag that's a very strong version of that one note to really amp it up.
3. As a matter of 'timing', so if I have a frag that has a great opening I love but it fades quickly, I might pair it with something that has a weak opening but really blooms into the drydown.
4. Some frags tend to be rather linear (Fords, Malones, etc) so they can get a bit boring. I'll either add another linear layer from the same line, or add another frag that focuses on a part of the pyramid.

I like citrus frags to add umph in the openings, but then they fade quickly, whereas I might use a linear woody frag or musk or oud to add supporting mid or basenotes. I also have a group of frags with one main simple accord in them that I'll use to emphasize that note within a more complex frag, whether it's a certain flower, fruit, citrus, etc.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It can be done, but I almost never do personally. If you want to experiment with this sort of thing there's a few ways to try it.
1. The easiest is to find lines that are made for that such as Jo Malone and Tom Ford. Each of their scents typically has like 2-3 accords total so it's easy to use some imagination and combine them. The Malones are quite light so you can spray on lots / double up, whereas the Fords you should divide the sprays in half (ie only ONE of each bottle).
2. The other way to combine is to accentuate certain notes, so I may have a particular note I like within a frag but it's buried in there, and I'll another frag that's a very strong version of that one note to really amp it up.
3. As a matter of 'timing', so if I have a frag that has a great opening I love but it fades quickly, I might pair it with something that has a weak opening but really blooms into the drydown.
4. Some frags tend to be rather linear (Fords, Malones, etc) so they can get a bit boring. I'll either add another linear layer from the same line, or add another frag that focuses on a part of the pyramid.
I like citrus frags to add umph in the openings, but then they fade quickly, whereas I might use a linear woody frag or musk or oud to add supporting mid or basenotes. I also have a group of frags with one main simple accord in them that I'll use to emphasize that note within a more complex frag, whether it's a certain flower, fruit, citrus, etc.

Thanks for the response. I have some simple scents that I like to combine, like a L'Occitane Vetiver along with a Diptyque Tam Dao. I also have a classic eau de Cologne that I find heavy on the pettigrain so I add a brighter component, even though the cologne is light already, by spraying a verbena scent on top of the Cologne.

I've also gotten a lot of compliments when I spray the Tam Dao on top of Terre d'Hermes - the TdH was applied in the morning and I spray a layer of Tam Dao on top when I get home in the evening. To me, the bone-dry wood of the Tam Dao is a good balance to the richness of the TdH.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eau Noire (Dior) today. It's my third time wearing this. It's very weird! Sometimes I think I love it, other times I think it smells like I spilled maple syrup on my wrist. It's really wonderful while the aromatic notes from the top are still present. But once those notes disappear, it just smells like syrup.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Horny - I almost never mix myself. 2 reasons: 1)I can barely keep up with how 1 fragrance is going to react on my skin, much less two, and I'd hate to end up with an undesired outcome once I left the house. 2) See: #1

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today: Guerlain Homme. Sample from Neimans. The marketing copy says it has a "mojito accord". Mas o menos. More like rum and coke.. and some geranium... to me.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today: Amouage Jubilation XXV. Sample from essenza-nobile. Nice scent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads