Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. giony

giony Senior member

Amouage Opus4 today. I'd like my Tropical Fruit Punch with loads of cumin and coriander, it's delicious, thank you :lol:

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Divine L'Homme Sage. I don't think I've worn this since I've joined StyleForum, but it's every bit as good as I remember. I love saffron, and you get plenty at the top of this one. But it's nicely rounded out by some other spices, cardamom especially. As it dries down, some light and sweet floral notes peek through before it reaches the ambery, incensey base. It's just a perfect masculine, absolutely gorgeous.

I see that Rambo's got 10ml of this for sale. Somebody really needs to pick that up.

3. giony

giony Senior member

^^ Ahh..just saw this :)
    IMO, worth every penny, image:

Une Rose Chypree- LdDM concentree added Bulgarian rose. The Poe of rose.
    Une Rose Vermeille- URC with too much violet.
    Incense Rose- URC with heavy incense.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I keep telling people how good this is.

The past few days:

Jo Malone Cologne Intense Oud & Bergamot - This was a real letdown. Completely unimpressed.

Maison Frederic - Aqua Universalis - not bad but I like the Forte much more.

Maison Frederic - Luminere Noire - I think this would be a hit with you guys who love the slightly feminine smelling scents. It really is pretty. A bit too light for me.

5. miran

miran Senior member

I am a 30-year old male. Would it be considered strange if I wore a rose-based cologne for everyday daywear. eg. Attar of roses, or L'ombre dans l'eau (Diptyque)? Too feminine? Too weird?

6. L'Incandescent

Just to clarify: by "everyday," do you mean that one of these rose fragrances would be your signature scent? That is, you'd wear it pretty nearly every day? Or do you mean that it would be part of your rotation for regular daywear?

In either case, I don't think it's weird in the bad sense of the term, and it's certainly not too feminine. There are lots of rose-based scents that don't read as strongly feminine. It would, I think, be a little bit weird (in the sense of unusual, not the norm) if a rose scent were your signature, but certainly not so weird that I'd advise against it. (Not sure where you're located, but in much of the US it would be "weird" to wear anything other than a generic clean scent.)

EDIT for full disclosure: I love rose fragrances and wear them all the time. Including some very feminine ones. The sky has not fallen on me!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

7. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

Ormonde Jayne - Isfarakand

8. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tauer LADDM today. I probably post the same comment every 6 months when I wear this but, man, this stuff is great but it's just way too strong. I don't know that I could have applied any less than I did this morning and it's still blasting out of the top of my shirt opening 5 hours later.

9. L'Incandescent

You really threw me for a loop with this one. To my nose there's a pretty strong family resemblance between Lumiere Noire and Kingdom. And I know what you think about Kingdom! Lumiere Noire is definitely less skanky than Kingdom, but there's still some skankiness, especially once you get to the middle.

I'm wearing Dior Leather Oud for the first time today. Leather isn't my favorite genre, but I'm liking this a lot. There's definitely more leather than oud here. At the top, it's a very bitter leather, not quite as bitter as ELdO Rien, but in the ballpark. Over the life of the scent, though, it becomes progressively sweeter. I pick up some pleasant pipe tobacco notes in the middle. And as it dries down further, there's some added sweetness that smells a bit like honey. I haven't seen the notes, and I'm not great at correctly identifying honey, but that's what I get at any rate. I like this quite a bit better than Bottega Veneta, which is the other newish leather I've recently tried.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

10. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

From Persolaise's review of Dior Leather Oud on Basenotes:

:)

But then, over in the Baker Tannery thread, someone put up a video of a Moroccan tannery.
    Hard to imagine anything less likely to be conducive to accomplishing an urgent tryst.
    Myth: trust the myth.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You know, I caught that at the beginning, but it seemed to fade quickly. I think it was because it was so fucking humid yesterday. Clearly, I'll have to refine my Unwashed Cunt meter.

12. giony

giony Senior member

Wearing Amouage Gold (crystal) today.....aka soap-extreme.

13. L'Incandescent

L'Inspiratrice by Divine today. This is my third time wearing this, and I'm liking it very much. Anyone who likes L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses should really try this. I actually don't like VdR very much, but the two are definitely related in that both are built around rose and patchouli. I'm not a big fan of VdR because I find it very matte, if that makes sense as a fragrance term. It's very earthy and dull. L'Inspiratrice has a strong dose of patchouli, and so it's definitely got an earthy feel too. But it's brightened up with some aldehydes, and that's what makes all the difference for me. It's also a bit sweeter than VdR. L'Inspiratrice is definitely on the feminine side, so much that some guys might not feel comfortable wearing it. Thankfully, that's typically not a problem for me.

14. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Millesime Imperial By Creed, I like it but I dont think its strong enough. Do you guys have any recommendations? I want something classic, clean smelling but that gives you that wow impression.

15. L'Incandescent

Clean scents aren't my forte, but I'll give it a try. If you want to stay with Creed, I think Green Irish Tweed is a much better fragrance than MI. It's more well-rounded, with bright lemon, some violet, and a clean, woody base. (MI is clean in a high-pitched screeching way that I personally find unpleasant.)

I'd also recommend Kiton Men. It's not a classic "clean" scent, but it's bright, vibrant, and young. Like GIT, it's got a citrusy top, but the addition of pineapple gives it some extra character. There's a somewhat floral middle, again like GIT, and a woody drydown that is sweeter and more rounded than GIT. There's a bit of amber in the base. I like this one a lot.

Finally, I'd recommend a couple of Hermes: Un Jardin sur le Nil and Un Jardin sur le Toit. Both are bright, crisp, and fruity. Sur le Nil, I think, has more of a "wow impression" just because of the remarkably sour mango opening.

All of these last longer and project better than MI. They also smell better IMO!

I'm wearing Baudelaire by Byredo today. A sharply aromatic woody incense with a hint of sweetness emerging during the drydown. The sweetness comes from amber. When that sweetness emerged against the sharp incensey background, I literally said "wow" out loud. It was a very surprising juxtaposition that I thought worked wonderfully. I think Byredo has its share of subpar releases--Rose Noir and Fantastic Man jump to mind--but this one is really well done. (I also think Byredo's La Tulipe is wonderful.)