Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Cool. I'll have to try it out then. Thanks for the info.

Today, Bel Ami. This one seems to work pretty well year round for me. Nice citrusy leather.

2. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

How is New York? It's about time to start a new batch of samples to test out and I've heard good things about New York. I'm just a young 21 year old, so I dont want scents that might be too old for me.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I'd describe New York as a very high-quality modern chypre. Lemon and orange top with spices and some aromatic notes, dries down to a mossy base with some amber. It's absolutely worth a sample, IMO. It's not a young person's scent in the way, for example, that Le Male is, but neither is it too mature for a 21 year old.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Bois des Iles for me today. I'm becoming a big fan of this one. I'd say it's my favorite Chanel by quite a bit.

6. 1969

1969 Senior member

Anyone care to school me on pairing scents to the seasons? I'm in Texas so we only have about 4-5 months of non-summer. .

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Well, long story short: you wear your lighter scents in the summer, and the heavier scents in the winter - although some people don't really follow this and seem to be fine.

The general idea goes like this:

The lighter scents: citrus, vetivers, florals, aquatics, bay rum, rose, fougeres, light gourmand, light chypres - these are dry, light-wearing scents that won't bloom in the heat.
    The wintery scents: ambers, orientals (spicy), incense, leathers, tobacco - tend to get loud in the summer but behave in the winter. And they stick around a long time.

Now, a scent will cross genres depending on the general composition - Amber Absolute is a winter-only scent for me, but Ambre Narguile can be worn in summer, because it's so light.

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Everybody goes straight to Vettiveru, but the CdG "Cologne" series Anbar is a lovely summer-able amber as well. :)

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Rach - you hear about that new CDG frag coming out? the one with saffron, some sort of florals, and then I think a glue or rubber note... comes in an origami box and recycled glass bottle...

today - first day at new job, so I went without. Nirvana - Scentless Apprentice you might say.

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Wow, haven't heard of that one. Odeur 53 (or maybe 71... whichever it was) was rubbery/buttery enough for me. Smelled like somebody ran an old car tire through a movie popcorn machine. :lol:

Still, though, I find CdG scents fascinating even when I hate them, so I shall have to try this one.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

12. 1969

1969 Senior member

Thanks Thomas...that's a good 101 place for me to start. Not planning to own a ton of stuff but I did get about a dozen samples a couple months ago and now it's time to buy a few bottles.

13. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

This is exactly what I do. Anything over a 5 on the Jgold47 heaviness scale goes in the back till winter. I made the mistake of wearing Rive Gauche on too warm of a night and almost made myself sick....

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Well, I thrived for years on just two bottles: Platinum Egoiste and Herrera for Men - both were adequate for year-round wear. But there is a degree of fun in experimenting and seeing what you like and - more importantly - works for you. Today, if I had to pare it back to 10 scents (as Rach did), I could do so, no problemo.

today: Le Labo Labdanum 18 - a split I bought off a board from some folks who really talked it up. It's nice but not quite compelling - at this point it's more or less a resinous powdery vanilla, and I think it needs a little something sharp and raspy to keep my attention.

15. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I really like year around scents. The soapy animalistic fougeres, like Kouros and Jules, aren't really seasonal. Same with the aromatics like Azzaro or Rive Gauche. I also love the more substantial citrus scents, like Declaration, Vintage Guerlain Vetiver or New York. I also find those appropriate in any weather.

I'm wearing Jules today (and not coincidentally driving from foggy 65 degree LA to 90+ Desert Hot Springs and back today). I got a 10 ml mini bottle off ebay for the not-exactly-cheap price of $30, but I'm satisfied.