• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I finally got around to decanting Reglisse Noire from that stupid splash bottle to an atomizer. I was about to describe is as a gourmandy anise scent but that sounds awfully redundant. Anyway, it's kind of a dry woody-anise-cocoa and I'm liking it.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Parfums de Nicolai New York.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been on a Kiehl's Musk kick. I've been showering at night, putting the oil on afterward and wearing the drydown the whole next day. I've never been a big musk guy so this feels novel to me.

tps16

Reaction score

I don't want to say similar, but it's in the same "family" in terms of gentlemanly scents with a hint of sweetness/spice. A person who likes Heritage, Boucheron PH, HR, etc. would probably like JHL, I think. BUT, it's been a while since I had Heritage so without having them side by side I don't want to say definitely.

Cool. I'll have to try it out then. Thanks for the info.

Today, Bel Ami. This one seems to work pretty well year round for me. Nice citrusy leather.

fungz0r

Reaction score
How is New York? It's about time to start a new batch of samples to test out and I've heard good things about New York. I'm just a young 21 year old, so I dont want scents that might be too old for me.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How is New York? It's about time to start a new batch of samples to test out and I've heard good things about New York. I'm just a young 21 year old, so I dont want scents that might be too old for me.

I'd describe New York as a very high-quality modern chypre. Lemon and orange top with spices and some aromatic notes, dries down to a mossy base with some amber. It's absolutely worth a sample, IMO. It's not a young person's scent in the way, for example, that Le Male is, but neither is it too mature for a 21 year old.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bois des Iles for me today. I'm becoming a big fan of this one. I'd say it's my favorite Chanel by quite a bit.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Anyone care to school me on pairing scents to the seasons? I'm in Texas so we only have about 4-5 months of non-summer. .

Well, long story short: you wear your lighter scents in the summer, and the heavier scents in the winter - although some people don't really follow this and seem to be fine.

The general idea goes like this:

The lighter scents: citrus, vetivers, florals, aquatics, bay rum, rose, fougeres, light gourmand, light chypres - these are dry, light-wearing scents that won't bloom in the heat.
The wintery scents: ambers, orientals (spicy), incense, leathers, tobacco - tend to get loud in the summer but behave in the winter. And they stick around a long time.

Now, a scent will cross genres depending on the general composition - Amber Absolute is a winter-only scent for me, but Ambre Narguile can be worn in summer, because it's so light.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, long story short: you wear your lighter scents in the summer, and the heavier scents in the winter - although some people don't really follow this and seem to be fine.
The general idea goes like this:
The lighter scents: citrus, vetivers, florals, aquatics, bay rum, rose, fougeres, light gourmand, light chypres - these are dry, light-wearing scents that won't bloom in the heat.
The wintery scents: ambers, orientals (spicy), incense, leathers, tobacco - tend to get loud in the summer but behave in the winter. And they stick around a long time.
Now, a scent will cross genres depending on the general composition - Amber Absolute is a winter-only scent for me, but Ambre Narguile can be worn in summer, because it's so light.

Everybody goes straight to Vettiveru, but the CdG "Cologne" series Anbar is a lovely summer-able amber as well. :)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Rach - you hear about that new CDG frag coming out? the one with saffron, some sort of florals, and then I think a glue or rubber note... comes in an origami box and recycled glass bottle...

today - first day at new job, so I went without. Nirvana - Scentless Apprentice you might say.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Rach - you hear about that new CDG frag coming out? the one with saffron, some sort of florals, and then I think a glue or rubber note... comes in an origami box and recycled glass bottle...
today - first day at new job, so I went without. Nirvana - Scentless Apprentice you might say.

Wow, haven't heard of that one. Odeur 53 (or maybe 71... whichever it was) was rubbery/buttery enough for me. Smelled like somebody ran an old car tire through a movie popcorn machine. :lol:

Still, though, I find CdG scents fascinating even when I hate them, so I shall have to try this one.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I kind of get a masculine/leathery scent. Not leathery like Bel Ami, which smells like a sweaty saddle mixed with an unwashed ball sack, but just a bit of leather layered over a manly background. Its like Telly Savalas in fragrance form.

Ha! "Who loves ya, baby?"
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads