Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Linus41

Linus41 Member

Versace The dreamer. Although the heat was kicking in this afternoon "The dreamer" was still pretty wearable...

2. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

I really wanted to like the dreamer, but I have a hard time with it. I get compliments, but its a bit much for me personally. I have a mostly full bottle I would sell if anyone wants it.....

3. giony

giony Senior member

L'Artisan Drole de Rose layered with K10 today.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Elixir des Merveilles

5. fortheyoungdude

fortheyoungdude Member

Today was Blood Concept (Type AB) - weird concept but the scent was quite nice, almost like Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. I'll post a review on my site tonight!

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I always thought Dreamer a really interesting one to be put out by a large fashion house. Distinctive, unique, and pretty classy. That being said, like jgold47, I rarely found myself actually wearing it, but I'm glad it was out there.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I bought a bottle, very spontaneously I must say, of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree at the duty-free shop and now realize that it is not the same as the regular Pour Monsieur. Am I right about this? I had a bottle of just regular Pour Monsieur twenty years ago and wanted to relive one of my favorite scents but I think I screwed up, but did I?

8. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yep, the concentree is different. Some people don't like it. I think rach is one of the only who do. :)

Ormonde Jayne Man for me today. This stuff is amazing. It must have some serotonin-boosting pheromones or something.

9. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Allure by Chanel, it's really getting old though. Does anyone have any suggestions?

10. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just got some Proraso after shave and splashed it on after I shaved this morning. I could tell it wouldn't really last, but I complemented it with some Paco Rabanne to stay in the retro Italian theme. It turns out Paco was French-Spanish...ETHNICITY FAIL. Should have gone with Azzaro, but I must say PR is nice. I don't wear it often but it's well worth the $10 or whatever I paid for my bottle.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I wore, for the first time today, my purchase of Molinard Homme I, which is dry and quite "old school" of a male scent. It lasted only about five hours on me which is fine.

It was purchased at the Molinard store in Grasse, after I took the tour of the perfume museum that is up the road. If you are in that part of France and you love scents, like I know many of you do, you would find the drive to Grasse and a visit to these two spots very enjoyable.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Well, it's different but not quite awful. But it pales in comparison to the original.

Well, there's more to be said here. Chanel and Guerlain tend to monkey with their formulas as they change the concentrations: For instance, Cuir de Russie smells markedly different as you go from EdT > EdP > parfum. The EdT is, um, nice, but the parfum is something else entirely.

I think Chanel did the same with Pour Monsieur, and tweaked the formula a bit to deliver a 'concentree' version (because men won't touch an EdP) which I think was a bad move, since the original PM (or at least Polge's re-vamp) was excellent to begin with.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

13. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

Trade me for one of the ones I want to sell. I have wanted to pick that one up for a while...

14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Interesting. Quite the clusterfuck this whole perfume industry is. I kind of wish I got the PM EdT, but I'm happy with the Concentree after the first few hours of wearing it.

As far as tje Cior de Russie, do you guys think that it is indeed a change of the formula in each variation or is it one of those strange phenomena of smells where our senses simply perceive it differently as the concentration of the same formula is changed?

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Hmmm. Everything I've heard has indicated that some of the houses (Chanel, Guerlain, Caron, for starters) do change the formula between concentrations, and I tend to believe it since it seems to me that you could duplicate a parfum's effect simply by spraying a lot of EdP or even EdT, if the same oils were blended in the same proportions and just diluted to different degrees.

At this point Habit Rouge comes to mind. iirc, the original EdT was released in the mid-60's, and the EdP and Parfum came out within the last 5 years or so. I've heard raves about the parfum and EdP, contrasted with some resounding mneh's and dislikes for the EdT.. Apparently, the EdP and Parfum feature oud (yes, even Guerlain jumps on the bandwagon) which was not in the general / mainstream perfumer's lexicon in the 60's - and as far as I can tell has not been added to the current EdT. So it's not like they changed the formula across the board, but then again the perfumers are astonishingly opaque about tweaking - and in some cases completely rewriting - their formulas (see Tabac Blond).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011