• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't give a **** about his reputation so you can slag the **** out of him all you like.

He makes/sells some damn good scents. Overpriced? Of course! But, which houses aren't these days? Only L'Artisan is holding up the quality low end.

Haha, no no, I meant you would whine that I'm wearing a scent I wear all the time and comment on endlessly (Jicky.)

My Amouage rant was unrelated to you. :lol: I just realized, rereading my post, that the separation between the two sentiments was not clear.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Haha, no no, I meant you would whine that I'm wearing a scent I wear all the time and comment on endlessly (Jicky.)

My Amouage rant was unrelated to you. :lol: I just realized, rereading my post, that the separation between the two sentiments was not clear.

I didn't think you were bitching at me. It sort of sounded like you thought I would take offense at your bitching in general. I welcome all Professor Fabulous approved rants. They're so well written. Mine just come off as "Those motherless *****!" and spiral downward into a morass of incivility. When you write its like I'm reading some gentleman from 1850. When I write its like I'm reading some guido from the Bronx.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I didn't think you were bitching at me. It sort of sounded like you thought I would take offense at your bitching in general. I welcome all Professor Fabulous approved rants. They're so well written. Mine just come off as "Those motherless *****!" and spiral downward into a morass of incivility. When you write its like I'm reading some gentleman from 1850. When I write its like I'm reading some guido from the Bronx.

Oh, good! Anyway, Jicky is wonderful and I've been sniffing myself all day. :lol:

It's unfortunate when an advertising or marketing style turns one off of good scents. With Amouage, I feel like if the scent is good enough, it doesn't really need the hype or marketing.

Barneys sucks and so they tend to "market" Malle scents with a lot of poorly trained sales staff, but the overall concept of Malle I really like (and how it initially got going)... simple bottles, label showing the name and parfumeur, and that's it. The scent then did its own thing. TDC was similar back when I first got Rose Poivree, Osmanthus, and Bois d'iris.

The whole idea of creating a "lifestyle brand" or aspirational quality to scents, which is what got Creed its $$$ and seeming cache, just turns me off. A scent is so personal I simply think its impossible to market it except AS a scent. It's so evocative it's not like a shirt or pair of shoes and when you try to create a "story" to go with a scent, it just seems so contrived.

I mean, the stuff about Madama Butterfly just made me gag. And I LOVE opera and have seen enough Puccini to stop a buffalo. I even like Weezer's "Pinkerton," for goodness' sakes. :lol:

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

(...) Only L'Artisan is holding up the quality low end.

Jeeez. I never thought I'd see the day when L'Artisan would be considered Low End. Then again I still marvel that Chanel keeps their men's line-up - even the boutique scents - as reasonable as they do. Hell, even Les Exclusifs are still around $1/ml for the honker-sized bottles.

Someone pinged me recently about a new Armani Prive that is going for (iirc) 400 euro/100ml of EdP. It makes the mind boggle. And it will probably sell out. And they'll do it again.

Oh...today, Egoiste.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just sampled the new (and final-ish) Kilian - Sweet Redemption. Got a lot of Iris right away, then it moved into an orange blossom with vanilla related notes. Projected really well even off a small spray and lasted a solid 10 full hours.
clearly it's a quality frag, not overly 'niche', ie weird, so very wearable. Probably ok for the right guy, but better suited for a woman IMO. If price is a consideration, pass, but if you're a collector or aren't looking to add new types of smells to the collection (ie it's not that original) then it's good.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jeeez. I never thought I'd see the day when L'Artisan would be considered Low End. Then again I still marvel that Chanel keeps their men's line-up - even the boutique scents - as reasonable as they do. Hell, even Les Exclusifs are still around $1/ml for the honker-sized bottles.

Someone pinged me recently about a new Armani Prive that is going for (iirc) 400 euro/100ml of EdP. It makes the mind boggle. And it will probably sell out. And they'll do it again.

Oh...today, Egoiste.

My thoughts exactly. I say it here all the time, but there are sooooo many wonderful scents available for practically nothing. I have a very hard time springing for a full priced niche bottle unless I know that it's something I really like. There are a couple of Lutens bottles that I might pick up the next time I'm in Paris, and there are other things here and there, but I've mostly tuned out the high end niche brands.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^I wouldn't bother with 75% of this **** if it weren't for decants. $300 a bottle is just too ******* expensive. I can stick with my YSL Live Jazz for $25 and be happy.

I managed to snag samples of the two new Tom Fords last night. Also, since I hadn't tried it in ages, I spritzed some Caron Yatagan. Leathery goodness but nothing too special.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Feminite du Bois for me today. I'm liking this a lot--I think it's only my second wearing of it. It actually reminds be a little bit of the vintage Rochas Femme, probably because of the prominent plum. It's softer and brighter than Femme, though.

I swear, though, I have almost no ability to discern which fragrances are supposed to be feminine and which are supposed to be masculine. This even has "feminite" in the name, but it strikes me as entirely wearable by men. I know that the gender specifications are primarily for marketing purposes, but you'd think there'd be some rhyme or reason to it. (Maybe I just wear too many feminines.)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly. I say it here all the time, but there are sooooo many wonderful scents available for practically nothing. I have a very hard time springing for a full priced niche bottle unless I know that it's something I really like. There are a couple of Lutens bottles that I might pick up the next time I'm in Paris, and there are other things here and there, but I've mostly tuned out the high end niche brands.

Me, too. If I get a big bonus, then "Portrait of a Lady" might be a full bottle purchase, as it's the most stupendous oriental I've sniffed in ages. Barring that, as you said, there are so many great gems out there that nobody talks much about available on the cheap. Want a wonderful gentlemanly scent good for daywear and eveningwear? Aramis JHL. $48 for 100mls at retail. Great citrus daywear? Monsieur Balmain, $20 or so for 100mls. All around great scent? Most of the Lalique men's scents (eau de lalique you can get 200mls for $25 or so.)

And the list goes on and on. Caron men's scents are also very cheap; 3eme man is a wonderful scent and a sillage powerhouse... a bottle could last you ages.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bois des Iles for me today. I think I'm ready to declare this my favorite Chanel.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Was going to go with Yatagan, then spun through the Le Labos until I wound up at Shaal Nur. Strange how that played out.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Essence of John Galliano today.

Yesterday I dipped into the forgotten decant bin and found Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac. This one was once a favorite and I'm not sure why I haven't worn it for so long, but I was happy to reacquaint myself with it. There's a rich, sweet, almost damp tobacco leaf note at the core, but there are also some warm spices and dry woods in the drydown. Despite the description, I don't find it to be overly heavy. I remember liking this one in the rain before, but yesterday was still pretty summery here and it wore fine in the sunshine.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Barring that, as you said, there are so many great gems out there that nobody talks much about available on the cheap. Want a wonderful gentlemanly scent good for daywear and eveningwear? Aramis JHL. $48 for 100mls at retail. Great citrus daywear? Monsieur Balmain, $20 or so for 100mls. All around great scent? Most of the Lalique men's scents (eau de lalique you can get 200mls for $25 or so.)

You got to stop doing this... I spent time researching both Monsieur Balmain and Eau de Lalique, finding Lalique Equus on the way, and had to add all three to my must get to try list.

Can't you stick to spinning stories about how you found, in an out of the way alleyway in deepest Tokyo, a little old parfumuer with a life time of experience that sells the most wonderful of scents... for a reasonable price? That is safely tucked away into the vicarious pleasure category.

Habit Rouge.

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Essence of John Galliano today.

swap box? I just got that one and it's like 150ml of juice, pretty potent stuff too.

today, Tauer Le Moroc Pour Elle (?). Rose and strong spices and amber, almost has that sickly sweet dirty imortelle note. This one is STRONG, just a few drops and I stunk for 10+ hours. This one's making me a bit neuseaus.
a common issue I have with a lot of niche comes forward in this one, the bones are there but it just isn't polished. The ingredients are too raw and open.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads