Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Citizen Queen today.

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Just wondering if anyone has impressions on Creed's latest - Royal Oud. I'm liking the note lineup they display on the boutique, but wanted to know some of the members thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Lipstick Rose today.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Its actually nice. I have a small spray decant that the sa helped me make and its enjoyable on occasion. I don't know enough about oud's to make an overall judgement, but I wouldn't throw it out.

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Had a fascinating and accidental fragrance adventure today. went into a building in Sakae (downtown Nagoya) to duck out of a sudden rainstorm... decided to have a look around. Towards the back was a small shop called "Atelier Parfum." I didn't expect much, but went in.

WEll, I made a new friend. The proprietor is an elderly bespoke parfumeur named Tashiro-san who, over thirty years or so ago, lived extensively in France and studied under... wait for it.....

Edmond Roudnitska! You all know my love of all things Roudnitska, so i was thrilled to meet her. Really unique lady, has a treasure trove of scents, and makes them the old fashioned way. She was very anti-recent parfumeurs... called ellena, Roucel, and Ropion "kids" who didn't know "what they were doing" and more interested in celebrity than scents. "They're all too young," she said. Yes, she's a bit eccentric (probably from 45 years of sniffing too many chemicals) but a really neat lady.

She had me pegged in three minutes flat and said she will make me up something "appropriately animalic" that I will like. :) Interestingly, I noticed a Roudnitska-like feel to her "rtw" scents in her shop... that unique, classic, slightly dirty "minimalism" that made Roudnitska so great.

Anyway, I'll report back later. She's also going to let me tour her workshop (which isn't open to the public) which is in another part of town.

I'm wearing "No. 110" now, which is her funky chypre blend of oakmoss, patchouly, and a strange floral accord she refused to tell me what was in it (and I couldn't guess ((which usually I'm pretty good.))) Really quite lovely, and ALMOST funky enough for me... imagine Chanel PM meets Givenchy Gentleman.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

:lol:

Keep us updated.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  8. rioni

rioni Senior member

Today it's New Haarlam. Also selling off a few bottles if anyone in the US is interested.

Chanel Sycomore 75ml @ 45% (retail bottle and box) $60
    L'Artisan Fou D'Absinthe 50ml @ 70% (retail bottle) $60
    Kilian Taste of Heaven 30ml (20ml remaining / split bottle) $65

9. Goombi

Goombi Senior member

^ Someone jump on the Sycomore! Too bad I'm not in the US.

10. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

rach - that's a great story and it sounds like it's only just begun. She might be a fantastic resource for thing otherwise unattainable. How were her prices? Two Roudnitzka's that I really like are Eau d'hermes and Eau Sauvage, but I suspect both of the versions I have are highly neutered from their original form. Does she have access to old fashioned ingredients, like real oakmoss?

11. rach2jlc

Prices were VERY reasonable... in the $100 range for about 15mls of extrait or parfum. Actually, each bottle was different depending on the ingredients. Some were $50 or so, and then some were up to $125 or thereabouts. We haven't yet discussed pricing for a bespoke scent, but still, all were very reasonable, especially considering regular fragrance prices are more here (Chanel that's $59 in the USA is nearly $90 here, for example.)

Yep, she still uses all the original stuff; she knew all about the changes in legal restrictions in Europe the past few years and was very negative about its prospects. She also commented how exactly those (and most all others) had been radically altered from their former selves. She also has a treasure in her atelier of vintage parfums she keeps from her days in Paris (lots of old Roudnitskas, Guerlains, etc.) She's going to show me this as well.

I may end up having to bribe her with free university classes (haha) as she's interested in sprucing up her English... but seems a small price to pay.

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I went to try to buy some new cologne today. These were the ones I came away interested in, but I sprayed so many tester strips I probably ruined the chance the find one. Any thoughts? I'm looking for a versatile fall/winter scent that I can use evening or night. I'll probably go back tomorrow and try to narrow it down.

Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Eau D' Hadrien By Annick Goutal For Men

13. rach2jlc

Do you have access to Comme des Garcons scents? If so, try CDG 2 Man and also some from the RED and INCENSE series. They are really lovely for fall/winter wear, and also are unique without being too weird.

Those you picked above are all fine, but I find them almost a little too "safe." They don't strike me as fitting with your personality (haha.) You need something with a note of contrast, something just a LITTLE combative. :lol:

Anyway, my SOTD is a Miss Dior layered with Kiehl's musk. Wow, this is an interesting one. The MD already has an animalic note in it, so adding the musk just makes it darker. Kinda fun. :)

14. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I have access to everything; I just might have to go somewhere to find them. I didn't see those you mentioned so I can try another place tomorrow. If nothing else, I'll just add kerosene and fennel seed to my laundry. I do want to find some scent that can be my own scent. I've eliminated Polo Black, Acqua di Gio, Burberry Sport, Creed, etc. without even trying them for that reason. Slightly more obscure would be good.

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

thanks, I've tried Givenchy's Vetiver and didn't really like it. I'll retest it though.
    PS - amazing story about that lady you met, please keep us posted what happens there.
    +1, I'm not and Aoudaphile but on first impression it seemed pretty good. I've got a sample I intend to try sometime.
    eh, they're all alright, but seem more of summer day scents (they're all citruses or aquatics)

yesterday, received a decant of TFTV, a drop had leaked out into the bag, so I just flipped the bag and rubbed it on my chest and wrist. godam, 12+ hours of strong scent...