• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm late to the game on Sycomore--just trying it for the first time today. I'm glad I only got a 1 ml sample. It's a very well-blended fragrance, with peppery and woody notes supporting the vetiver, which is really up front. It's a fragrance for which the badly overused adjective "classy" might actually be appropriate. The problem? Vetiver is just an unpleasant note, and I don't want to smell it on my skin. (That's why I didn't try this before now.) I think anyone who appreciates vetiver would have to like this a lot, though.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I kinda waffle on Sycomore. It's nice but I far prefer vintage Guerlain Vetiver EDC and Malle's VE. Then again, I haven't really worn Sycomore that many times, so it may have some secrets left to reveal.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It took a little getting used to, but I like Sycomore's smoky top note and the lingering pepper. Imo it's a little sweeter and spicier than Guerlain Vetiver, which I like a bunch too. But, yeah, there's a lot of "green bush" in there so I can see why some guys don't like it.

My other favorite in this style is Lalique Equus which starts with a lot of cedar and juniper, then dries back with the vetiver.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
SOTD Chanel #19 Poudre (new flanker) - meh, it was alright. nothing to write home about.

I retested no.19 edt a few days ago and remembered why I hate it so much. it's just so cold and clinical. I prefer my florals sweet or powdery, but not bitter.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'm late to the game on Sycomore--just trying it for the first time today. I'm glad I only got a 1 ml sample. It's a very well-blended fragrance, with peppery and woody notes supporting the vetiver, which is really up front. It's a fragrance for which the badly overused adjective "classy" might actually be appropriate. The problem? Vetiver is just an unpleasant note, and I don't want to smell it on my skin. (That's why I didn't try this before now.) I think anyone who appreciates vetiver would have to like this a lot, though.

This pretty much sums up my feelings in a much more lucid and elaborate way. Thank you, Cupcake.

This Xeryus Rouge is awful. I hate you. :lol:

:thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Keep at it fabulous, you'll find a new one you want eventually.

Cahrin

Reaction score
Black Aoud the past two days. Really starting to love this one. The first hour or so is still a bit of a love/hate, but everything after that is pure perfection.

giony

Reaction score
Cloudy day, TDC Rose Poivree. Sexy and warm BO :D on base from the mixture of vetiver and civet juice, covered by rose petals and osmanthus with hints of pepper and grapefruit. Not a fan of vetiver or funky notes but this is one helluva brilliant combo!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Caron PH - bit dated but still nice. Makes me feel like a manly man.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cloudy day, TDC Rose Poivree. Sexy and warm BO :D on base from the mixture of vetiver and civet juice, covered by rose petals and osmanthus with hints of pepper and grapefruit. Not a fan of vetiver or funky notes but this is one helluva brilliant combo!

I'm a big fan of that one too, especially as the weather gets cooler.

I'm wearing a completely different treatment of rose today: Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher. This is one of my favorite roses. It's a bright rose that's not quite a gourmand, but it's in the ballpark. There's a wonderful light tonka note that takes this to another level--without it, I think it would be a fairly generic old-lady rose.

Also, as an aside: you know you spend to much time talking about fragrances when it occurs to you all of a sudden, and as somewhat of a surprise, that TV is also the abbreviation for television.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

This Xeryus Rouge is awful. I hate you. :lol:

Jeeeez. You pare the herd back to a top 15 and you kept THAT one?!?

...re: Sycomore, for some reason Vetiver-themed scents garner a like-but-not-love reaction. My hand will pass over the Vetivers all day long looking for something more compelling, and Sycomore falls under that umbrella, at least the couple of times I've tried it. This summer, I think I've worn vetiver only once thus far despite the triple-digit afternoons.

Today, headed for another triple-digit afternoon, but I went with L'Instant Homme. Should have waited another week or two.

giony

Reaction score
Mr. Incandescent, you don't have perfume poisoning you're just working too hard.

TDC Charmes et Feuilles today, if you ever taste/chew betel nut you know what this is, sweet minty herbs slightly boozy, drydown with a smidgen of suede. Another favorite, just wish it would last longer.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HdP 1876 today.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jeeeez. You pare the herd back to a top 15 and you kept THAT one?!?

Today, headed for another triple-digit afternoon, but I went with L'Instant Homme. Should have waited another week or two.

Haha... NO, I didn't include that in the 15. Those are the fifteen keepers I use regularly, but there are a few other straggling outliers in there that were either given to me or somehow ended up in my collection. XR is one of those. :lol: Its a decent roomspray! ;)

L'instant is great, but I agree most of the good notes in it are lost and heavy, plodding along in triple digit heat. Sort of like when I tried to go with Samsara parfum in 98% humidity a few weeks back. NOT a good idea. :lol:

Anyhoo... SOTD is Prada infusion de vetiver. I find Infusion d'iris unique and enjoyable, but the IdV is rather boring, especially when there are so many good vetivers out there. Not a keeper, and not really bottle worthy, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chanel Pour Monsieur today.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Aramis New West. For as much as I like its astringency...I sure don't wear it much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads