Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Le Temps d'une Fete for me today. This one might appear "girly" too, but in this case the appearance is correct.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Anything with bacon in the name is good by me!

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

haven't tried that one, but Samsara is an interesting one to analyze for "girliness." At first sniff, I think most all men would find it unwearable... but if you give it about ten minutes, it really becomes no more feminine than Egoiste. Both are sweet, and the only real difference is in the amount of vanilla you can smell from the outset. As they simmer down, the base of samsara is heads and tails above the (current) Egoiste.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

is this the vintage Samsara edp?

5. 1969

1969 Senior member

I rarely wear anything but right now CdG Vettiveru.

6. rach2jlc

It is. I heard that Samsara also got reformulated and the sandalwood note has changed slightly as well in recent juice. If so, it's a cryin' shame, as that's the heart and soul of the scent, and what MAKES the drydown. This one came out in 89 and I think my bottle is from the early batches (it's the old style bottle as well)

I think you'd really like it, T, since you have Egoiste. I'd like to see how you find their development over time. I never went for Egoiste (probably all that vanilla, which doesn't do much for me), but I love the way Samsara finishes. The parfum just about knocks you down, but in fall/winter it's wonderful.

Speaking of knocking down, I think I'll wear Tabac Blond to my beginning-of-the-semester meetings today.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  7. L'Incandescent

:rotflmao:

Annick Goutal Petite Cherie for me today. I haven't tried a pear-based scent that I really like yet, this one included.

8. rach2jlc

Did you try CSP Vanille Pitahaya?

It was too sweet for me, but it's a nice pear scent with cactus, pear, and vanille.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  9. giony

giony Senior member

Hehe, oud overloaded, synthetic oud that is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/world/middleeast/28iht-M28C-PERFUME.html
    TF's oud is not my cup of tea, Oud Wood is nothing but synthetic, Noir de Noir smells like stinky chocolate :)

Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain today, can't describe such a magical scent!

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today: a cold snap this morning, and I had a moment of 'starting over'. So I went with Chanel Antaeus, which started me along this crazy hoarding path.

11. L'Incandescent

Poivre Samarcande today.

12. giony

giony Senior member

Crazy weather 60F out, went with Dior Leather Oud.

13. rach2jlc

Taur L'aDM is wonderful, I agree. Fans who liked it from the start remember the days when it first came out and he sold it in 100ml bottles for like $85. Then it got popular, he dropped it to a 50ml, raised the price, and whined that "he'd made a mistake making it so inexpensive."

It's still a good enough scent that it's worth it either way, but at the time I thought it was a pretty crappy move. It's like the perfume equivalent of the Conne pink cashmere tie. :lol:

All these dry ouds and T's beeswax make me think I should follow suit. Unfortunately I'm pretty much out of "dry" woods and ouds now, so it's either Eau d'hermes or Tabac Blond extrait. I've got to be outside part of the day today, and so I think the Hermes will win. TB, as good as it is, is NOT a "let's stand out in the summer heat" sort of scent. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  14. L'Incandescent

It really is amazing. I've worn it quite a lot and so I know very well how it smells. Nonetheless, every time I smell it, I find it's even better than I had remembered. The only other fragrance that's similar for me in that regard is Bois 1920 La Vaniglia. But I'm still pretty new to that one, so we'll see if I continue to feel the same way.

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I was thinking of picking up some Chanels... got sycomore, a decant of (vintage actually) Anteaus, and samples of Bleu, Plat Egoiste, and Allure original, none of which really impress me... are all of these three just a waste of money?

I like frags that have a clear personality and fit a certain occasion/moment but would be out of place at another. My impression is this is the oposite of their frags (ie they're all good all-rounders, never out of place but not that daring).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011