Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

^Good info, thanks!

Speaking of info for us fragrance fans, i was always quite proud of this threak on Basenotes, about Chanel date codes. For those fellow Chanel fans, please see the attached. There is another about L'artisan codes, I'll post later!

basically, it involves counting months after 00 as january 2000, using the etched 4-digit code on the back of your bottles (post-2000 bottles, that is!)

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/191773-Cracking-the-Chanel-Date-Code

p.s. Going for Caron bellodgia today... one of the world's best carnations.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Tabarome Millesime for me today. I have never liked this even a little bit. I'm just trying to finish up the sample I got at Saks a couple years ago.

The only Creeds I like a lot are Baie de Genievre and Fleur de The Rose Bulgare. I haven't seen much discussion of these here at all. Does anyone have any opinions about them?

3. rach2jlc

BdG was a neat one, as it seemed to me like Creed's push to have a big 80's powerhouse type scent. BUT, they played it safe, though it still is vastly more interesting than most of their offerings. I never tried FdTRB. I remember trying BdG at the same time I tried the 80's L'artisan manly scent... l'eau de navagateur, maybe? I can't remember. :( This is what happens when you get past bottle 100 in a collection (haha)

Did you ever try Aubepine Acacia or Bois de Santal? The former a metallic-y citrus, the latter a civety baby-shit sandalwood (haha)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kenzo Air today. I really like this one, even if it's simple. Peppery citrus.

5. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Today, Cuir de Russie

6. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Sycomore today. This stuff just gets better and better each time I wear it.

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

finished my decant of Dior Homme today. I really want to like this on account of all the positive reviews (including Turin) but while I guess it's somewhat groundbreaking as a 'masculine' and seems well composed it's just not at all my sort of frag. I don't really do the florals much.

so why am I still considering blind buying DH Intense?

8. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I also have mixed feelings on Dior Homme. It's an interesting scent, but I don't like wearing it. It doesn't come together for me.

I wore Vendetta today. It's another one of those overrated discontinued scents, but well worth the price I paid, which was practically nothing. It's aromatic, spicy and kind of sour in a citric way, but I don't think there's any citrus.

9. L'Incandescent

I haven't tried either, but based on your description I will have to try Bois de Santal. I'm not a big fan of sandalwood, but the civety baby shit part sounds like a winner!

Vraie Blonde for me today. I'm going through the fragrances I've never liked and seeing if there's something good in them that I've failed to notice. The best that can be said for Vraie Blonde is at least I didn't feel the need to scrub it off five minutes after putting it on. That's an improvement.

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Finally back home with my full supply -

Today, all hot and steamy means Un Jardin Sur le Nil. Without a doubt one of my favorites over the last few months.

Yesterday night, just excited to finally have access to it again, was Creed Original Santal. BLEH. I've praised this scent a lot, but with as hot and nasty as it was outside last night, it was just not jiving with teh nose. It was almost so heavy as to make me sick -

^^^ to the guy above regarding Sycomore - I'm looking to jump on that too; perhaps a split is in order over on the other thread?

11. L'Incandescent

Continuing the theme of wearing fragrances I don't like, it's ELdO Rien today. With Tabarome Millesime and Vraie Blonde, I can at least imagine why other people might like it. With Rien I'm at a loss. It's also terrible for the summer. (Not that it's not terrible for any other season too, but it's just especially terrible for summer.)

EDIT: I scrubbed off the Rien. It takes a powerfully bad fragrance to actually put me in a bad mood, but Rien was up to the task. I put on Angel instead, which is much more my speed.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  12. willpower

willpower Senior member

Aw man, life's too short for that.

13. rach2jlc

+1. It's like drinking cheap beer. Yuck!

Eau de Lalique today.

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

This is very interesting. I've only had Aventus from splits on here, loved all of my first one, haven't really gotten into the second one yet, hope its as good.

15. L'Incandescent

Yeah, you're both right. I thought maybe it would be more like drinking a very expensive wine that I hadn't previously been sophisticated enough to appreciate. That hypothesis is not faring very well so far: I'm 0 for 3.