Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. giony

giony Senior member

How do you like that one? I've yet to try it out.
    Love it! Citrus, woods, rose, soap all perfectly blended, stays about 2 hours then leaves a drydown of sweet soft incense.

Lubin L'eau Neuve today, kinda like having ceviche with fresh ground pepper.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

wearing a mystery sample today, unmarked from the last swap box. I'm pretty sure it's Habit Rouge though. Sort of like Heritage but i'm getting lemon, vanilla, and definite civet. I think I'm just too young to appreciate the old man body odour.

El Argentino - compost huh? Things do have a way of changing on my skin, but all i get with this one is the fruit, nothing stinky at all! Hmmm, I'll retest it again sometime to check.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

In having tried each of the Jardin's (while narrowing down my pick to le Nil), this is the one I liked the least, precisely because the "compost" note was so prominent. Even with a spritz or two on my wrist, I thought it was reeking like fecal matter.

In forcing myself to smell past the stank, I can see this. The apple for sure, and the Greek description is very telling.

That gives me some encouragement! I'll try it again and see if I can detect the compost note. So far, my impression has been just like Master-Classter's.

Ungaro II for me today.

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

El Argentino - compost huh? Things do have a way of changing on my skin, but all i get with this one is the fruit, nothing stinky at all! Hmmm, I'll retest it again sometime to check.

That gives me some encouragement! I'll try it again and see if I can detect the compost note. So far, my impression has been just like Master-Classter's.

Glad to hear you both want to smell like fertilizer!

But yeah - this one and one of the other Jardin's just do some weird stanky thing on my skin. Can't remember if the other pungent one was la Mousson or de Mediterranee.

5. Master-Classter

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I've been really excited to try that for a while now. I've heard lots of good things. I'll be interested to hear your final decision. (No new samples lately for me, as I recently spent lots and lots of money on vet bills for my cat.)

Fresh Cannabis Rose for me today.

I thought Une Rose Chypree was brilliant, if you like big, brawny, mildly-heavy scents. I loved it but at the same time, knew I wouldn't wear it but once in a long, long while.

today: wanted to escape the 80/20 rule, and went with L'Instant Homme. Funny enough this has a good sandalwood note, which kinda scratches the itch for now.

7. downwithianbrown

downwithianbrown Senior member

Guess no luck on the ferragamo question. It's a real nice scent imo, wearing it today, just has a little more complexity and staying power than philosykos or other straight fig scents I've owned, and cheap as well.

guys,

any suggestions for resources besides luckyscent or barneys for fragrance scented candles?

8. guest

guest Senior member

^i could never smell that ferragamo. such a damn shame. it's got nice packaging and all. i would've bought it if it was decent coz it's cheap and really around my sweet spot in price but i couldn't smell it.

not sure about platinum but i think there's a noir. i dunno. i know iv tried a flanker of it. couldn't smell both but i think i'd stick to the original nonetheless.

9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Interesting... people say certain scents don't work with their skin and there's probably truth to that, but I wonder if a big factor is we all detect various scents differently. Which is kind of scary, because the way you think something smells on you may be very different from the way the person next to you smells it.

I think that's right. Two people can notice very different things about fragrances when both have only smelled it from the bottle or on paper. I know my former gf couldn't stand Secretions Magnifiques b/c she picked up a milk note just smelling from the bottle. I've heard other people describe that note too, but I completely miss it, whether I'm wearing it or smelling it from the bottle. (On the plus side, now that she's my former gf, I can wear Secretions Magnifiques again!)

Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere for me today.

10. willpower

willpower Senior member

Nancy Boy Signature Body Spray. Pretty decent in the oppressive heat.

11. lbcgav

lbcgav Senior member

This is mine. Thanks for the free ad. I think it's a nice scent, just not on me and it's too rich for most days in SoCal.

Today: Concentre D'Orange Verte

I'm really liking this scent. I saw someone mention Guerlain Pamplelune and Master-Classter asked if he had tried Concentre D'orange Verte. Is Guerlain Pamplelune similar?

(not mine) Gucci I - 3.3oz $40 - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=253436

12. Cahrin

Cahrin Senior member

Wore Virgin Island Water today, layered on top of some non-scented lotion.

Actually worked fairly well - Could still get hints of coconut and rum after a 12 hour day. Wore great in the heat, too!

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

My Creed SA recommended this very move to lengthen the amount of time these scents last. Good call. Even better warm outside.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Wore Virgin Island Water today, layered on top of some non-scented lotion.

Actually worked fairly well - Could still get hints of coconut and rum after a 12 hour day. Wore great in the heat, too!

This shit smells so much like Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion when its hot.

15. Master-Classter

Today: Concentre D'Orange Verte
    I'm really liking this scent. I saw someone mention Guerlain Pamplelune and Master-Classter asked if he had tried Concentre D'orange Verte. Is Guerlain Pamplelune similar?

Yes and no... CDOV is a bright clean citrus with some herbs and wood and leather (?) as I remember it. So it's fairly clean citrus with a little grounding. Pamplelune is quite simple, with a tart but creamy grapefruit, and then a bit of vanilla and patchouli. It's less refreshing, quite a bit sweeter (where CDOV has almost none), and maybe even a tad fem. It's a simple but well made frag, and you can get 75ml's for under $40 online. That being said, as usual I suggest sampling before buying. Any dept store with a guerlain counter should have a bottle to test from.

Gucci I is probably too heavy and smokey considering your weather. If you want a woody type of frag that wears lighter there are many options, depending on if you liked the Cedar of Gucci I, or want to try something else like sandlewood, pine, etc.

today, ELDO Praise of a Traitor - it's a little 'raw' but held up nicely under the summer heat with good sillage and longevity. At under 30 years old, I do feel like I'm kicking it a bit (80's) oldschool.