Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Crabtree & Evelyn? Why on earth would you blind buy that?

Their Sandalwood got a few recs, particularly for its price point ($45). The big complaint about it was that it was too soapy, which was a deal-breaker for me. That said, I have a soft spot for C&E based on their Sweet Almond Oil products, especially their shave cream (now discontinued). Once they closed their last standalone boutique in Houston, they've gotten more difficult to find. They had a great small shop in the Galleria years and years ago, and then they expanded to a bigger space, which evidently was too big for their revenues, so they pulled out altogether.

Along those lines, I briefly considered springing for Taylor's of Old Bond Street Sandalwood which is even lower on the price scale...but that too would have to be a blind buy - but I have tried Trumper's Sandalwood which is a dead ringer for Egoiste...which brings me back around to something that is plenty good enough regardless of the (very reasonable) price. I really ought to stop looking.

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Is it expensive? I assumed it would be around normal prices. I only sprayed a strip but my impressions was a nice, somewhat dry wood (agarwood) with a bit of richness. Not stinky or spicy in a dirty way at least. perhaps even a little boring. It must have developed somehow becuase the next morning the strip just had a light sweet smell, almost a bit milky.

From what they're showing on their website, the 2.5 oz bottle is at least $300.

Most of their other ones are 240-280 for the 4 oz. one, with Aventus having been the most expensive of the "basic" scents.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

oh wow. ok who wants to buy this sprayed card? only $10!

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Muscs Koublai Khan today.

5. MyTailorIsRich

MyTailorIsRich Senior member

Vintage Ungaro III today (thanks MC). The vintage red top stuff makes the new black top seem a lot more synthetic in comparison. And the new formaulation adds a metallic/acquatic accord on top compared to the vintage.

C&E Sienna is the only scent I had ever worn until recently and I haven't tried Sienna in at least 10 years. I am curious to try it again.

6. downwithianbrown

downwithianbrown Senior member

question to you guys. Today I was in TJ Maxx, and I saw salvator ferragamo for men, it was 15 bucks, and I had my phone so I googled it and saw it had a fig scent, which I like. so I bought it. I really like it. however, right next to the cologne on the shelf, was "salvator ferragamo platinum" basically looked exactly the same as the box i bought, but was white and said Platinum on it. i googled on my phone while I was in the store and couldnt find anything on it. so i didnt buy it. I searched on my laptop just now and absolutely nothing came up for salvator ferragamo platinum. anybody ever heard of this?

7. Master-Classter

hot and sunny, so Jardin sur le Toit again. It's 'juicy' and refreshing.

8. L'Incandescent

I'm liking that one quite a bit, though I don't get all the notes that the marketing department and some reviewers get, e.g., the compost note. I think I'd like it even more if I got some of those funky notes.

Kiton Men for me today.

9. Master-Classter

yeah I also would have liked some more depth to it. All I'm getting is apple juice and maybe some sort of floral, plus a sense of stone tiles or cold concrete. Feels very Greek islands based on my memories

10. MyTailorIsRich

MyTailorIsRich Senior member

Trying a sample of Tabarome today. So far all I get is weak green tea.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Yesterday - Tauer Un Rose Chypre - Not half bad at all. Need another sampling on this one to make a final decision.

Today - PdN L'eau Mixte - Kind of a greeinsh floral. Very bright and summery. Not bad either.

12. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

Have any of you used Dominca Bay Rum? What were your opinions?

13. willpower

willpower Senior member

Too hot to wear anything other than crisp and clean today - Gendarme

14. L'Incandescent

Yesterday - Tauer Un Rose Chypre - Not half bad at all. Need another sampling on this one to make a final decision.

I've been really excited to try that for a while now. I've heard lots of good things. I'll be interested to hear your final decision. (No new samples lately for me, as I recently spent lots and lots of money on vet bills for my cat.)

Fresh Cannabis Rose for me today.

15. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I'm liking that one quite a bit, though I don't get all the notes that the marketing department and some reviewers get, e.g., the compost note. I think I'd like it even more if I got some of those funky notes.

In having tried each of the Jardin's (while narrowing down my pick to le Nil), this is the one I liked the least, precisely because the "compost" note was so prominent. Even with a spritz or two on my wrist, I thought it was reeking like fecal matter.

yeah I also would have liked some more depth to it. All I'm getting is apple juice and maybe some sort of floral, plus a sense of stone tiles or cold concrete. Feels very Greek islands based on my memories

In forcing myself to smell past the stank, I can see this. The apple for sure, and the Greek description is very telling.