• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ungaro III today.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am interested in ordering some scents from CB I hate Perfume but even at the $15 pricepoint for the 2 mL sample (I know this is relatively cheap but add 3 to the cart and you're at $100 already), I can't buy them all to experiment.

For those familiar with his scents, can you make a recommendation of 2-3 must tries? They can either be perfumes or accord. I am new to all this. In fact, I just learned the word "accord" today, so take it easy on me.

Thanks.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Frederic Malle Musc Ravaguer
Familiar, musky, sweet, and flowery

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
That and price are the two reasons I'd take it over GIT.

SoTD = Aventus

I had no idea CW and GIT had the same scent until I sampled GIT at a local shop.

The FIRST thing I told the lady was that it smelled JUST like cool water and she immediately said "it has more depth to it."

I dunno.. I'm sure it's more complex in terms of the different ingredients it has, but, like you said, the price differential makes CW that much more worth it.

gwolf

Reaction score
^have you tried aspen? i don't find cw and git that close to each other but agree there are definite similarities. aspen is in the same mold and way cheaper. i like it more over cw but not git...

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
I am interested in ordering some scents from CB I hate Perfume but even at the $15 pricepoint for the 2 mL sample (I know this is relatively cheap but add 3 to the cart and you're at $100 already), I can't buy them all to experiment. For those familiar with his scents, can you make a recommendation of 2-3 must tries? They can either be perfumes or accord. I am new to all this. In fact, I just learned the word "accord" today, so take it easy on me. Thanks.
His scents are more easily applied (and more economical) in the form of water perfumes rather than the smaller oil based vials that he sells. His stuff is mindblowing in the way it links the sense of smell to memory, but it doesn't always make for a wearable perfume. It's great you're enthusiastic, but take it slow so you don't disappoint yourself. CB used to be the head guy at Demeter, which also sells a huge line of scents that mimic things you smell in real life - waffles, thunderstorms, dirt, dozens more. CB seems to love the smell of snow, rain, wet fallen leaves, bonfires, potted soil, etc, so most of his earth based perfumes will have some of these notes. I'd suggest the more aquatic scents since summer is around the corner. His stuff isn't terribly long lasting, so spray some on your shirt (test first) to keep the scent going. Mr Hulot's Holiday - This one is amazing in the way it will conjure up visual images of the eastern seaboard. The first time I smelled it my brain teleported me back to my childhood and the excitement of seeing the deep blue ocean peeking through rows of beachfront homes. If he ever licensed this in the form of a fabric softener or a shampoo it would sell like mad. Russian Caravan Tea - If you like the scent of Lemon Nestea Sweetened Iced Mix powder, this is a dead ringer. Not really very wearable, but interesting. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a fan of that scent, but it is another CB IHP fragrance that I've tested at length. Just buy some Nestea instead
wink.gif

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Been looking forward to trying that one. What did you think?

SOTD - Rive Gauche

I was pretty impressed. It was very different from other sandalwoods I've tried. A blast of violet/ambrox (Not sure if those are the right notes, but it was floral/woody), which lasted an hour or two (with sandalwood definitely present, but more in the background), then it all seemed to fade, then the sandalwood really emerged with a very smooth, sophisticated vibe. I can still smell the sandalwood nine hours after two sprays. I don't know where the Marlboro Man hook Thomas mentioned came from. My impression is a "can you hear me now" jolt followed by a long, smooth, sophisticated sandalwood drydown. I was smelling my wrists every 20 minutes going "OK, now what's happening?"

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MyTailorIsRich
Speaking of sample box, what about organizing a sample box pass around? Pretty sure that has been done here before? I was thinking everyone that wants to participate sends me minimum 5 samples they want to share. Everyone that contributes goes on the list. I publish the list, collect everything and send it to the first person. Everybody gets to keep the box for like a week (or two?), then sends it on. Any interest in this little project?

Wow, what timing. I was about to start compiling the thread. I've been working on a seed box for a few months now and just PM'd Rambo earlier this week to ask him if he thought it was time to do another one. Ok, so stay tuned, I'll get this setup later today and then post here and PM you guys for signups.

yesterday went sniffing around town and was very happy to find and pickup a bottle of Etro's Sandalo, for a very good price too! i went on the cheap and bought a different sandlewood months ago and have regretted it, so wrongs have been righted!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads