Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Millisime Imperial This fragrance seemed pretty good when I first got it, but over time, I've come not to like it that much. I don't think I'll get another bottle when it runs out.
    Actually, after a day of wearing this, I loathe it. Unfortunately, it seems to have pretty good longevity on me. It's given me a bad taste at the back of my throat. I only used 3 sprays this morning! Strangely, my wife likes this the best of all my colognes. Oh well... The only summer appropriate scents I have at the moment are Pour Monsieur and Sycomore. I'm thinking of picking up Guerlain's Vetiver. Any other recommendations?

2. CologneReview

CologneReview Senior member

SOTD: Chanel Sycomore, raining and cool outside.

3. willpower

willpower Senior member

Actually, after a day of wearing this, I loathe it. Unfortunately, it seems to have pretty good longevity on me. It's given me a bad taste at the back of my throat. I only used 3 sprays this morning! Strangely, my wife likes this the best of all my colognes. Oh well... The only summer appropriate scents I have at the moment are Pour Monsieur and Sycomore. I'm thinking of picking up Guerlain's Vetiver. Any other recommendations?
    YSL Live Jazz - Very good and inexpensive. Grapefruit, Mint, Coriander Gendarme - Ultra light, slightly soapy and crisp. Aqua di Parma Colonia Intensa - this has a tenacious cedary orange rind drydown that's well suited for the heat Diptyque Tam Dao - If you like Sandalwood and Cedar, this is the one. Feng Shui simple and long lasting.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Actually, after a day of wearing this, I loathe it. Unfortunately, it seems to have pretty good longevity on me. It's given me a bad taste at the back of my throat. I only used 3 sprays this morning! Strangely, my wife likes this the best of all my colognes. Oh well...

The only summer appropriate scents I have at the moment are Pour Monsieur and Sycomore. I'm thinking of picking up Guerlain's Vetiver. Any other recommendations?

I feel like a broken record because I say this every time I see the words "summer" and "scent" in the same sentence, but I really think Hermes Jardin sur le Nil is the perfect summer fragrance. It's a bright mango with a fascinating sour note at the top.

I also like Premier Figuier very much for summer. As the name suggests, it's a fig, but it's very, very green and creamy. It's a bit on the feminine side--not sure if that's an issue for you. Finally, if you're still interested in Creeds, I think Green Valley is a very good summer scent. (FWIW, I'm not generally a big fan of Creeds, and I agree with you completely about MI, but Green Valley really is exceptional, IMO.)

Bal a Versailles edp for me today. It's my first time trying this, and I'm liking it a lot so far. I'm not getting nearly as much of the skank as the BN reviewers get, though. To me, it's primarily an orange fragrance that's nicely complemented by the more aromatic and animalic notes, not the other way around. (The civet does become more prominent in the drydown, though.) Oddly enough, the first comparison that came to mind was Elixir des Merveilles, even though the two fragrances are very different in lots of ways.

5. MyTailorIsRich

MyTailorIsRich Senior member

GIT/Cool Water challange today: GIT on the left wrist and CW on the right. Notes later.

6. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

...story of my life. I much prefer AdP Colonia vs. the Intensa version, but otherwise I completely agree with the above - it is about as good as a summer scent can get in my opinion. YSL Live Jazz is kind of a tricky one for me; to this day I get it confused with Platinum Egoiste whenever I wear either. In contrast, GIT vs Cool Water, for me, is "boring, but tolerable" vs "headache inducing". I sort of want to pick up some Fahrenheit for this summer. The many times that I've sampled it, it has come across as surprisingly "green" despite the obvious grungy gas note.

7. willpower

willpower Senior member

I sort of want to pick up some Fahrenheit for this summer. The many times that I've sampled it, it has come across as surprisingly "green" despite the obvious grungy gas note.
    I love the original AdP Colonia, it's the poor longevity that prevents me from recommending it. Fahrenheit is great stuff. Just have to use a very light touch for summer. There's a new variation called Fahrenheit Aqua, which is supposed to be more suited to heat. Haven't tried it, though.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

..., but I really think Hermes Jardin sur le Nil is the perfect summer fragrance. It's a bright mango with a fascinating sour note at the top....

I'm going to look this one up. Thanks -

9. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Given that he just passed, I think we all need to pull out that hidden bottle of Bijan! men that we all have and spritz it a few times.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

oh wow, Bijan! I didn't know. :-(

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Noir de Noir.

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

GIT/Cool Water challange today: GIT on the left wrist and CW on the right. Notes later.

Will be way interested at your take on this -

13. willpower

willpower Senior member

Nancy Boy Sig Scent Body Spray - Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary

14. tps16

tps16 Senior member

YSL Live Jazz - Very good and inexpensive. Grapefruit, Mint, Coriander

Gendarme - Ultra light, slightly soapy and crisp.

Aqua di Parma Colonia Intensa - this has a tenacious cedary orange rind drydown that's well suited for the heat

Diptyque Tam Dao - If you like Sandalwood and Cedar, this is the one. Feng Shui simple and long lasting.

Thanks. I will check out Live Jazz and the ADP. I'm based in Beijing, so the others are not readily available.

Yesterday, Shalimar
    Today, Sycomore

15. tps16

tps16 Senior member

I feel like a broken record because I say this every time I see the words "summer" and "scent" in the same sentence, but I really think Hermes Jardin sur le Nil is the perfect summer fragrance. It's a bright mango with a fascinating sour note at the top.

I also like Premier Figuier very much for summer. As the name suggests, it's a fig, but it's very, very green and creamy. It's a bit on the feminine side--not sure if that's an issue for you. Finally, if you're still interested in Creeds, I think Green Valley is a very good summer scent. (FWIW, I'm not generally a big fan of Creeds, and I agree with you completely about MI, but Green Valley really is exceptional, IMO.)

Bal a Versailles edp for me today. It's my first time trying this, and I'm liking it a lot so far. I'm not getting nearly as much of the skank as the BN reviewers get, though. To me, it's primarily an orange fragrance that's nicely complemented by the more aromatic and animalic notes, not the other way around. (The civet does become more prominent in the drydown, though.) Oddly enough, the first comparison that came to mind was Elixir des Merveilles, even though the two fragrances are very different in lots of ways.

Thanks. I will check out the Hermes, though I remember trying it before and not really being impressed. Then again, I didn't try it on skin. The only Creeds I like so far are BDP and Royal English Leather. I smelled a few others (GIT, Tabarome Millesime, and Spring Flower) and was not impressed. But I will try Green Valley when I see it.