• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MyTailorIsRich
GIT/Cool Water challange today: GIT on the left wrist and CW on the right. Notes later.

Will be way interested at your take on this -

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nancy Boy Sig Scent Body Spray - Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
YSL Live Jazz - Very good and inexpensive. Grapefruit, Mint, Coriander

Gendarme - Ultra light, slightly soapy and crisp.

Aqua di Parma Colonia Intensa - this has a tenacious cedary orange rind drydown that's well suited for the heat

Diptyque Tam Dao - If you like Sandalwood and Cedar, this is the one. Feng Shui simple and long lasting.

Thanks. I will check out Live Jazz and the ADP. I'm based in Beijing, so the others are not readily available.

Yesterday, Shalimar
Today, Sycomore

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I feel like a broken record because I say this every time I see the words "summer" and "scent" in the same sentence, but I really think Hermes Jardin sur le Nil is the perfect summer fragrance. It's a bright mango with a fascinating sour note at the top.

I also like Premier Figuier very much for summer. As the name suggests, it's a fig, but it's very, very green and creamy. It's a bit on the feminine side--not sure if that's an issue for you. Finally, if you're still interested in Creeds, I think Green Valley is a very good summer scent. (FWIW, I'm not generally a big fan of Creeds, and I agree with you completely about MI, but Green Valley really is exceptional, IMO.)

Bal a Versailles edp for me today. It's my first time trying this, and I'm liking it a lot so far. I'm not getting nearly as much of the skank as the BN reviewers get, though. To me, it's primarily an orange fragrance that's nicely complemented by the more aromatic and animalic notes, not the other way around. (The civet does become more prominent in the drydown, though.) Oddly enough, the first comparison that came to mind was Elixir des Merveilles, even though the two fragrances are very different in lots of ways.

Thanks. I will check out the Hermes, though I remember trying it before and not really being impressed. Then again, I didn't try it on skin. The only Creeds I like so far are BDP and Royal English Leather. I smelled a few others (GIT, Tabarome Millesime, and Spring Flower) and was not impressed. But I will try Green Valley when I see it.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tps16
Thanks. I will check out Live Jazz and the ADP. I'm based in Beijing, so the others are not readily available.

Yesterday, Shalimar
Today, Sycomore

No problem. I take it that Creed is available? - try Aventus (especially if you like pineapple)

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
...story of my life.

I much prefer AdP Colonia vs. the Intensa version, but otherwise I completely agree with the above - it is about as good as a summer scent can get in my opinion. YSL Live Jazz is kind of a tricky one for me; to this day I get it confused with Platinum Egoiste whenever I wear either. In contrast, GIT vs Cool Water, for me, is "boring, but tolerable" vs "headache inducing".

I sort of want to pick up some Fahrenheit for this summer. The many times that I've sampled it, it has come across as surprisingly "green" despite the obvious grungy gas note.

Thanks! I can sympathize about the wife...
That's two for ADP. That's readily available here, so I will check it out the next time I am at the mall. The weather has turned a bit cooler for the past few days, but I am sure it will heat up soon. A colleague came in to work one day reeking of a scent I despised enough to ask him about it: Platinum Egoiste. Maybe I should stay away from Live Jazz, though I will give it a shot.

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
No problem. I take it that Creed is available? - try Aventus (especially if you like pineapple)

Actually, Creed isn't. I usually get it in the US. Though I did see some available duty free in Seoul (GIT, MI, but no BDP unfortunately), and some are available in Hong Kong. I tried Aventus when it first came out and did not care for it, particularly the pineapple part. I'll try it again the next time I see it though. I've heard it changes from batch to batch?

Lots of great fragrances are had to get here (for instance, Guerlain only markets 3 masculines (no habit rouge!); mitsouko is not available, etc.)

My favorite scents at the moment seem to be Pour Monsieur, Shalimar, Bel Ami, and Mitsouko, if that is any help. I think I've discovered that I generally dislike aquatics. I don't wear Bel-Ami or Mitsouko as much, as they don't seem to go over very well in China. I assume Bel Ami reminds people of the smell of incense (and thus temples), but I'm not sure what the issues with Mitsouko are. Too much projection?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lipstick Rose today.

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
MillÃ
00a9.png
sime ImpÃ
00a9.png
rial. This one is getting the boot from my office rotation. I have also decided that I don't really like aquatics.

The Great Cool Water, Green Irish Tweed comparison test. I spent my whole Saturday morning on this and it was great fun and educational. I'll have to try it for other related scents. I put one on each wrist and checked then about every 20 minutes will making notes. Results:

GIT: Herbally lemon (lemon verbena?) & citrus opening followed pretty quickly by earthy iris/green note. Dry down is sweet, green/iris, good longevity.

CW: Opens with pronounced sweet lavender then turns toward geranium (like in geranium pour monsieur), but whole thing was much quieter than GIT. Dry down mild wood, some metallic and aquatic notes, reminding me of AdG. Bottom line to me was it is a sweet floral with aquatic notes. Not as long lived as GIT.

Then I had the idea to compare CW to AdG since they both have the metallic/aquatic thing going. I washed my wrists and applied CW and AdG. unfortunately I switched wrists for CW and it had the effect of making the opening of CW a ridiculously sweet floral/bubblegum so I gave up.

I think it is the long lived sweet clean green that makes GIT so popular. Cool water is more sweet floral to me, and has distinct marine notes on the drydown. But that is just me!
peepwall[1].gif

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today it's Kilian Straight to Heaven. Not from the keg though
smile.gif
This one is very boozy and kind of reminds me of Bois 1920 Extreme.
Fragrance_Fountain_1-thumb-450x474.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I stopped by the Le Labo store today and picked up a bottle of Rose 31 since I like it so much.

I tried some of the Vetiver 46 which is nice but a little too smoky for me. I also tried the Gaiac 10 which I found kinda of light and ethereal and just a little musky. I'm liking it the more it lingers.

boo

Reaction score
TF Italian Cypress today. Just received in a trade and I really like it a lot. I think it's better suited for slightly warmer weather given temps are in the high 40s, low 50s today.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Heavy showers all morning and possibly the rest of the day. Bleh

Decided to go with Terre D'Hermes

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
TFTV today. Haven't worn this in ages 'cause it's 'too special'. But WTH, it's a tuesday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics