1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Weird. I never got any cumin from Bigarde but it was all I got from Declararion. Just goes to show you how differing our experiences can be.

I'm almost officially out of samples to try now. Down to about 10 or so. Looking forward to knocking out the rest of them so I can finally start in on my bottles and decants.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I tried that out this morning. I didn't especially like it, but it is weird. I found that the pepper note from Rose 31 really jumped out when layered with Moss Breches.

Fleur de The Rose Bulgare for me today. I'm breaking out the pink pants for the first time this season, and FdTRB seemed like the perfect complement.
    (It might be interesting to layer Moss Breches and FdTRB. I'll give it a try tonight, maybe.)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is the Rhett Webbing Loafer an EdT or an EdP? :lol:

BARON and Rambo, did you ever try Montale Grayland? Add that one to the list of a citrusy, woodsy, cumin. A very unique scent. Not at all "fresh" like the other three, but quite unique. I had a bottle years ago... I think I ended up trading it on Bnotes as I liked it, but never found myself wearing it.

Still, though, it's worth a try if you like citrus/woods/cumin scents. I think it would be (though again it's been years since I wore it) a nighttime partner to the daytime of Declaration.

I always talk about Roudnitzka, but still the man can't be beat for how ahead of his time he was, and how "pure" in terms of his creations. No over the top nonsense, but minimal, clear, beautiful juice with backbone, kick, and class. Lemon/civet, yes! Cumin and citrus, Yes! And of course the "overripe/dirty melon" notes of Dior Dior or La Parfum de therese. Considering that he was doing this stuff DECADES before others, it's quite impressive.

I want to decree April to be Roudnitska month. Spring is the best time for his goods... so let's all wear our Roudnitska scents in April with heedless abandon. :lol:

I think I'll do Moustache de rochas (original) today. Don't get the new juice; it's got the "stink" cut out and reformulated. The old juice (in the columnar bottle with gold cap) is still available cheaply. It's some lovely stinky cat piss with a lime floor polish on top.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I forgot about Grayland - yes I had one of those generous Montale sample vials. As I remember, it was a lot heavier on the cumin than any of these other scents but it was definitely in the same vein.

5. whodini

whodini Senior member

Margiela Untitled. Picked up some more because I'm running low.

6. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Yesterday, Habit Rouge
    Today, Mitsouko

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yesterday Malle - Lys Mediterannée.
    Today, Malle - Le Parfum de Thérèse.

8. rach2jlc

lPdT is wonderful juice. Roudnitska at his best. :)

Haven't decided 100%, but I"m leaning toward Antaeus today. Just feels about right for the weather and my plans (or lack thereof) for the day.

9. L'Incandescent

Villoresi Musk for me today. I bought this from Rambo blind, based on the reviews I'd read. It's exactly what I was hoping for. It's a powdery, sweet potpourri rose on a musk base. It's definitely on the feminine side, but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I try not to make too firm a judgment based on one wearing, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to like this very much.

Also I have to say thanks to Rambo for the extra goodies! You're really too generous. (Not that I'm complaining.) I even got a refill of Secretions Magnifiques...no wait, I didn't mean it that way.

10. rach2jlc

Love LV Musk. Enjoy it! :)

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yeah, it's really good. A little strange in the beginning, so I didn't love the first wear IIRC. Today was pretty good though. Unfortunately, other "Malle scents" have better projection.

12. rach2jlc

Roudnitska's scents are never about projection, so definitely that's by design. As well, I find most of his scents take time to appreciate. It's sort of like a book that you read once and don't get much from, but then after second, third, or fourth readings keep finding something new. With this scent, it was originally made for his wife to wear, and after he died she gave/sold the formula to Malle because she (and all who smelled it) agreed it was too good to be kept a secret. Nevertheless, it was always a "personal" and private sort of scent, so not something designed to project across the room. I find its development interesting and very subtle, again like all of Roudnitska's classics (for example, the original Diorissimo develops in a wonderful way and stays quite close to the skin.) That being said, it would never be a big hit fragrance, being both "grandma chic" and with that sour melon note that made Dior Dior such a fantastic flop. I find it a brilliant addition to a scent that otherwise would be too "nice," but I can see that it wouldn't be one that many contemporary "noses" would find all that appealing.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Glad you enjoy it Cupcake. I put that secretion in there just for you. No, wait, I didn't mean it that way.

Today - since we were talking about it yesterday, I sprayed some Cartier Declaration at the mall while I was there. Heavy cumin with some citrus (kind of a tangerine) on the open. Drydown is cumin and unwashed cunt, with a slight hint of orange.

14. rach2jlc

For a safe and somewhat "old" style fashion/jewelry house, Cartier takes some interesting risks in its fragrances. As you said, Declaration is hardly a "safe" citrus scent... it stinks, quite frankly. Then, there is (my fave) Must de cartier, which was an attempt in the early 1980's to blend a green daywear scent with a dark Shalimar-esque night scent... only with loads more civet. The result is a very smokey, dark, stinkfest sillage beast oriental that lasts for days, and that many absolutely hate. Then there's Baiser du dragon, santos, etc. all fragrances with a lot of backbone and character.

Speaking of, I think I'll have to break out Must parfum for tonight and stink up the restaurant.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Whelp, look like I'm out

16. rach2jlc

17. L'Incandescent

18. rach2jlc

With your love of Rochas Femme, I think Must will be a hit for you. It's sweeter and darker, and a different kind of stink. The EdT (and maybe even the parfum spray) you can get at most Neimans/Saks, and it's not bad, as far as reformulations go. I agree with the review I linked that the new one is similar, though with less civet. The change gives the newer one a "woodsier" smokey feel over the vanilla/sweet base, where the old one is less smoke than a pungent, dirty fog. One other change is that the old bottles used to come in the cartier red leather boxes, like the jewelry and the watches. I'll try and snap a pic of mine when I have time.

19. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lalique Pour Homme tonight. Woodsy pepper.

20. L'Incandescent

Montale Red Vetyver, which I'm trying for the first time today. I see why everyone compares this to TdH, but the similarity is only really strong at the very top. As it dries down, the vetiver is much more front and center than it is in TdH and the cedar is more in the background. There's also something resinous and sweet that emerges in the drydown. It's hard to tell from the listed notes what it is, but my guess is that it's the elemi. I'm not a big fan of vetiver in general, but I'm enjoying this quite a bit.