Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Hi, I'm not a fragrance connoisseur but I'm looking for a new scent.

I currently have DKNY Be Delicious men and I've really loved it for everyday wear, I'm getting a bit tired of it though so I need variety.

I also have had Diesel Zero Plus, and it was just okay. It smells like Coca-Cola and I don't use it anymore.

I went to the store and tried out Armani Code and it smells amazing! Just wondering if there are anymore that are like it, but better? I know my girl would like it.

And I haven't smelled it, so I'm wondering about Thierry Mugler's A*Men (Angel Men).. has anyone tried it? How would it compare to Code?

Also, does Thierry Mugler have any better options?

Cheers,

EDIT: oh, by the way, I'm 21 in college, have a sweet tooth, and not a huge macho guy that wants musky smells

A*Men, you will definately have to try it out (definately on the skin). It's extremely potent. When I tried it on, I had one spray on wrist and it didn't go away for two days! (Even after showers)

It is described as being chocolate-y (though I got more caramel if anything)

2. bure

bure Senior member

A*Men, you will definately have to try it out (definately on the skin). It's extremely potent. When I tried it on, I had one spray on wrist and it didn't go away for two days! (Even after showers)

It is described as being chocolate-y (though I got more caramel if anything)

Thanks, I will definitely try it out in store... but two days!! I love caramel, and chocolate. Would it be only for night and fall/winter use?

I'm also looking at Hanae Mori for Men which is supposedly sweet.

One more is ICE*Men by Thierry... thoughts on these two?

Cheers

3. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Oh by the way, when I mentioned that you 'definately have to try it out' I meant that you should try it on before you buy it.

A*Men is by no means a safe-blind purchase. It was definately not for me, though I didn't hate it, many people describe it as a love-hate relationship with A*Men.

Let us know what you think of it.

And A*Men, since it's heavier is more of a night time fragrance (social, partying, clubbing) situations. I'd say winter too. You may even get the burnt chocolate note from it.

I have no idea with the other two.

Check out Basenotes.net for more info. Since the database is down, search around in the forums. You'll get a good idea as to what to expect.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

4. King Francis

King Francis Senior member

Today (that is, yesterday, for in my mind it's still Sunday) it was Parfum d'Empire's Cuir Ottoman.

When I wake up later this morning, it will be L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

(...)
    On sephora.com you can buy these sampler packs for men or women, it comes with 5 or 6 fragrance samples, around $50 total, and then it also comes with a voucher so that whichever one you liked the most, you send in the voucher and they send you the bigger bottle for free. Or at least, it's something like that.

Can you tell me if they do that deal in stores as well? I'll be in Chicago in a week and a half and thought I'd pick one up and not have to put up the extra bucks for shipping and stuff. Thanks in advance.

I've not been around the local Sephora all that often, but my last time there, they did do up samples free of charge. I've heard of folks who got 4 or 5 samples gratis. What is really nice is that if they are out of sample vials, they'll decant into a decent-sized sample atomizer - like 5 ml.

The sample pack is probably a concession to folks who can't get into the store, or husbands shopping for a gift. Both cases are smart.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

^Great! Thanks Thomas.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today I am going with Yatagan. Dry and crisp to counter this warm muggy morning.

8. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Wearing Odeur 53 for the first time today. It was a very wild scent, totally synthetic but utterly familiar and "natural". I really enjoy it.

9. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Thank you for that advice. That's what I was hoping for.

You say "niche, boutique" ...so, I take it that these fragrances may not be readily available in my local department store. Where would I find them?

And since I may have to send away for them and am not likely to get a chance to "sample," can you describe them for me?

"Niche" scents tend to be harder to find and unfortunately quite a bit more expensive. A lot of interesting scents may not be available to smell in person, outside of major cities. Ordering small samples over the Internet is probably the best way to go.

The perfumedcourt website you mentioned sells samples of Creed. You may wish to order some samples of Bois de Portugal, Cuir de Russie and Vintage Tabarome to start. In the worst case you will only be out of a couple of buckc.
    If you decide you really like one of these you can look for a good deal on a full botlle. Beware Ebay and less popular online retailers since there are some Creed counterfits.

10. wraith

wraith Active Member

Hi, I'm not a fragrance connoisseur but I'm looking for a new scent.

I currently have DKNY Be Delicious men and I've really loved it for everyday wear, I'm getting a bit tired of it though so I need variety.

I also have had Diesel Zero Plus, and it was just okay. It smells like Coca-Cola and I don't use it anymore.

I went to the store and tried out Armani Code and it smells amazing! Just wondering if there are anymore that are like it, but better? I know my girl would like it.

And I haven't smelled it, so I'm wondering about Thierry Mugler's A*Men (Angel Men).. has anyone tried it? How would it compare to Code?

Also, does Thierry Mugler have any better options?

Cheers,

EDIT: oh, by the way, I'm 21 in college, have a sweet tooth, and not a huge macho guy that wants musky smells

I actually had a thread about this very recently on Basenotes:

Linked.

I really don't like A*Men. It has a burnt smell to it that I just can't get past.

11. bure

bure Senior member

Oh by the way, when I mentioned that you 'definately have to try it out' I meant that you should try it on before you buy it.

A*Men is by no means a safe-blind purchase. It was definately not for me, though I didn't hate it, many people describe it as a love-hate relationship with A*Men.

Let us know what you think of it.

And A*Men, since it's heavier is more of a night time fragrance (social, partying, clubbing) situations. I'd say winter too. You may even get the burnt chocolate note from it.

I have no idea with the other two.

Check out Basenotes.net for more info. Since the database is down, search around in the forums. You'll get a good idea as to what to expect.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

Just went to Holt's today to try out Hanae Mori, A*Men, Creed, and more...

A*Men is awful!! I thought I would like the sweet scent, but oh my, it's overpoweringly sweet.. much too womanly for my taste. Hanae Mori was a little better, but also definitely has a womanly scent.

As for Creed, I tried Millesime Imperial, Original Vetiver, Original Santal, Silver Mountain Water. The latter was the best for me; however, I'd like to smell the Green Irish Tweed that everyone's talking about.

Out of everything that I've smelled in the past few days, Armani Code still smells the best to me (and my significant other would as well). It's sweet, a little powdery (to my nose), and not overpowering.

So, are there any other recommendations that would be like Code?

Cheers,

12. exterminatus

exterminatus Well-Known Member

Whoa. I've just spent last few h ours, reading over this thread, I need to expand my scent arsenal [​IMG]

Currently wearing Armani Mania for nostalgic reasons.

Samples on the way: L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing!; L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe;
    Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense : Kyoto, Escentric Molecules , Montale Black Aoud; ; Montale Musk to Musk.

A question to the more seasoned. Certain smell I used to encounter a lot in Europe in the 90s, - I won't mention the brand, since it seems kind of embarrassing... [​IMG]
    Basenote has following notes on the scent:
    Top Notes: Aldehydes, Lavender, Lemon # Middle Notes: Pine, Freesia, Cedar, Sandal, Rose # Base Notes: Moss, Amber, Styrax, Labdanum.

Any recommendations on a scent/brand that can cover something similar?

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Just went to Holt's today to try out Hanae Mori, A*Men, Creed, and more...

A*Men is awful!! I thought I would like the sweet scent, but oh my, it's overpoweringly sweet.. much too womanly for my taste. Hanae Mori was a little better, but also definitely has a womanly scent.

As for Creed, I tried Millesime Imperial, Original Vetiver, Original Santal, Silver Mountain Water. The latter was the best for me; however, I'd like to smell the Green Irish Tweed that everyone's talking about.

Out of everything that I've smelled in the past few days, Armani Code still smells the best to me (and my significant other would as well). It's sweet, a little powdery (to my nose), and not overpowering.

So, are there any other recommendations that would be like Code?

Cheers,

Yeah, A-Men is a big love/hate scent. Doesn't seem to evoke much indifference.

If you like Armani Code, there's always Black Code (iirc a variation on a theme). It is a well-composed scent, I doubt Armani has set a foot wrong in quite some time with his fragrances. I don't see much Armani up for re-sale on the scent boards.

GIT is very very nice as well, but there are tons of fakes on the web, so if you go that route, buy with caution.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Whoa. I've just spent last few h ours, reading over this thread, I need to expand my scent arsenal [​IMG]

Currently wearing Armani Mania for nostalgic reasons.

Samples on the way: L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing!; L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe;
    Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense : Kyoto, Escentric Molecules , Montale Black Aoud; ; Montale Musk to Musk.

A question to the more seasoned. Certain smell I used to encounter a lot in Europe in the 90s, - I won't mention the brand, since it seems kind of embarrassing... [​IMG]
    Basenote has following notes on the scent:
    Top Notes: Aldehydes, Lavender, Lemon # Middle Notes: Pine, Freesia, Cedar, Sandal, Rose # Base Notes: Moss, Amber, Styrax, Labdanum.

Any recommendations on a scent/brand that can cover something similar?

Please - we have men here who wear women's perfumes with sang-froid. And an ascot. Nothing to be embarrassed about, unless it was from Axe or Bratz.

I'm not registering the scent you recall. What - was it Giorgio? or No. 5? not ringing a bell yet. If you check the page on basenotes you're likely to see at the bottom "members who liked...also liked" It's not an exact science by any means, but it does offer some clues to start with.

Good luck with your samples!

15. exterminatus

exterminatus Well-Known Member

Please - we have men here who wear women's perfumes with sang-froid. And an ascot. Nothing to be embarrassed about, unless it was from Axe or Bratz.

I'm not registering the scent you recall. What - was it Giorgio? or No. 5? not ringing a bell yet. If you check the page on basenotes you're likely to see at the bottom "members who liked...also liked" It's not an exact science by any means, but it does offer some clues to start with.

Good luck with your samples!

thank you! I feel a bit better now [​IMG]

as for the smells I'm looking for basenote states "Sorry, not enough people have ***** their Basenotes Fragrance Wardrobes to give this information"

the smell in question is Adidas Active Bodies... [hides] I guess what speaks to me in this one was strong amber notes and other woody smells. Never could find it in the states or anything like it. My german friend is trying to procure some.. but it seems to get harder and harder... hence looking for alternatives.